Thoughts on Husky 61 piston cylinder clearance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dman7

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Took the 61 apart today. Husky cust service told me my saw is 2004 vintage but I suspect it's a little older. It's running fine. Compression around 130, hence all the excuse I need to tear it apart :)

Observations:
Cylinder stamped A. Piston stamped AB.
Piston crown - 1.8810 in. / 47.777 mm
Piston skirt - 1.8870 in. / 47.929mm
Cylinder - 1.8907 in. / 48.023mm
Ring gap - .020 (spec is .039 or less)
Observed upon disassembly that front two cylinder bolts were hand tight at best
Gasket looks good
Cylinder looks good
Significant carbon buildup in cc and on piston top (dissolving that now with Kleen Strip - works great)

So about 9.7 thou clearance at crown
3.7 thou at skirt

A new meteor piston is advertised at bore dimension of 47.94mm, but where is that measured?

Based in this data I was not going to replace piston, but after a thorough cleaning I see that the rear bottom half of the piston (side facing the intake port) seems a little polished and all the little micro grooves are wiped clean. I wouldn't call it 'scored'.

Questions
Should I replace the piston? If so for what reason? Clearances? Surface finish? Both? Opinions and rationale welcome.

I wouldn't replace it if it were mine. The first # in your SN=year next 2=week mfg. I think the Meteor measurement is the skirt. IIRC Magnus said Husqvarna spent more on R&D for this series than any other saw up until that time. Awesome saw series I've got 4-5 1 almost new made a few test cuts that's all. Just found 3 starter cover decal (small one) now it's complete.
Shep

Ring gap - .020 (spec is .039 or less)

Thats not right IMO.

Usually 0.004" per inch of bore
You should see around 0.008-0.01 +/-

My 044 that had 100's (probably more) of hours on it and the ring end gap measured 0.019" + . After new piston and ring was 0.008+/-

Thats not right IMO.

Usually 0.004" per inch of bore
You should see around 0.008-0.01 +/-

My 044 that had 100's (probably more) of hours on it and the ring end gap measured 0.019" + . After new piston and ring was 0.008+/-

Thanks. Husky manual says not to exceed 1mm, which is 39 thou.

Back