Thoughts on Mac 4600

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pro94lt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just got a Mac 4600 out of the barn that had been forgotten about, been sitting for over 10 years and of course the fuel lines have rotted, so I put new lines on and filled it up and cranked right up, then the fuel primer busted, I'll get one in morning, By just looking at the saw it seems to have been built well, what's your thoughts on this saw?

i've used mine for many many years...a bit heavy, but comfortable.

but, last weekend, dropped a tree and a dead branch split and a piece went thru the gas tank. damn....i kinda liked that saw as a back-up.

maybe i can find a body for it on ebay......

Just got a Mac 4600 out of the barn that had been forgotten about, been sitting for over 10 years and of course the fuel lines have rotted, so I put new lines on and filled it up and cranked right up, then the fuel primer busted, I'll get one in morning, By just looking at the saw it seems to have been built well, what's your thoughts on this saw?

I have had the dubious fortune of working on several of these. They are not bad saws. I DO NOT like the throttle cable setup, as it makes a gross bend right where it comes out of the case. The choke linkages are very often sloppy. I have had to remove the choke shaft and shorten the detent spring on the choke assy in order to get them functioning properly. They made those in different sizes up to 55cc, so the 4600 is pretty sturdy in the engine dept. Even though it is a clamshell engine, it has a bolt-down cylinder like the pro saws. This style of clamshell is especially nice to work on if you need new crank bearings since you can take it apart without special tools. The (plastic) chain oiler is adjustable and I have never seen one that didn't work. If you have not changed the oil line and impulse line, they're due. Sadly you'll have to remove the engine to get the impulse changed. The good thing is that the engine hold down bolts are seperate from the ones that hold it together, so you can remove the engine intact to change the line.

i've used mine for many many years...a bit heavy, but comfortable.

but, last weekend, dropped a tree and a dead branch split and a piece went thru the gas tank. damn....i kinda liked that saw as a back-up.

maybe i can find a body for it on ebay......

If you cannot find a case locally, drop me a PM. I think there is one or two of those at the local equipment salvage yard.

Fuel problem on Mac 4600

I have had the dubious fortune of working on several of these. They are not bad saws. I DO NOT like the throttle cable setup, as it makes a gross bend right where it comes out of the case. The choke linkages are very often sloppy. I have had to remove the choke shaft and shorten the detent spring on the choke assy in order to get them functioning properly. They made those in different sizes up to 55cc, so the 4600 is pretty sturdy in the engine dept. Even though it is a clamshell engine, it has a bolt-down cylinder like the pro saws. This style of clamshell is especially nice to work on if you need new crank bearings since you can take it apart without special tools. The (plastic) chain oiler is adjustable and I have never seen one that didn't work. If you have not changed the oil line and impulse line, they're due. Sadly you'll have to remove the engine to get the impulse changed. The good thing is that the engine hold down bolts are seperate from the ones that hold it together, so you can remove the engine intact to change the line.

If you cannot find a case locally, drop me a PM. I think there is one or two of those at the local equipment salvage yard.

I just got a free 4600 that started right up and ran like a new saw. I used it a few times and it was perfect, but I had not used it more than a few minutes each time. Then I went out to get some firewood, and after about 5 minutes it just cut out. I started it back up, it ran a couple seconds then quit. Tried to start it again, and had to choke it. That told me it was a fuel supply issue. I picked it up a couple hours later, and the primer bulb was empty. I pushed several times and no fuel... tank was full. Then it primed and started, only to cut out again. Also the fuel cap is very hard to get back on. It doesn't want to catch the threads. Can I get a new tank? Will replacing the fuel lines fix the fuel supply issue?

Thanks for any feedback on this!

I think they pack a lot of features in an inexpensive saw. The ones I've had all ran, engines seem pretty tough, look at some of the features:

chrome cylinder
rubber isolated carb
full spring a/v with cable stops
adjustable oiler, which can be serviced without engine removal
eco-friendly sprocket driven oiler
air injection, I was told by a Mac "expert" that electrolux had some interest in Mac years ago
starter gear a blatant stihl knock off, reliable
muffler design is very similar to what you see in the poulan 330, hex head bolts that are peened over/locked with a steel strip....if only the husky 350 came that way :msp_mad:

all lines can be replaced with standard tygon/rubber lines.
big air filter
mag clutch cover
the last one I had came with a 8-pin .325 spur.

With a simple muffler mod the internal baffle they run good.

Like the Dr. stated a great back-up or loaner saw

old thread, new question

I too am reviving an old Mac 4600. How in the world can I replace the fuel filter when the fuel line & filter in the tank do not reach outside the tank opening?

:msp_angry:

old thread, new question

I too am reviving an old Mac 4600. How in the world can I replace the fuel filter when the fuel line & filter in the tank do not reach outside the tank opening?

:msp_angry:

For reference info: My manual says to detach the fuel line from the carburetor (bottom right) and then pull the fuel filter out of the tank with a bent wire or needlenose pliers, but DON'T PULL THE FUEL LINE COMPLETELY OUT OF THE TANK. Then, just reverse the steps.

Wow I forgot all about this saw It's hidden somewhere with many old macs

still trying to get mine running. bought a new body for it, but it seems like there is a slight difference from the old one. the choke lever doesn't work right on the new, so i modified it and the wire linkage.
if any one has one that is a basket case, i have been looking for the felt washer that goes behind the clutch. it's an obsolete part and no one seems to have one.

If you still have problems let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one of these I was about to throw on ebay... but... I just can't, at least not if I can find the parts for it without costing an arm and a leg. Sounds like some of you might have the parts I need for relatively cheap.

Here's what I NEED:
Oiler - gear was ruined (also need the little rubber thingy near the outlet)
Sprocket - oh it's bad alright
Seals - I imagine I'll have to find these new of course but not sure where to look.

Could use:
Bar & chain - preferably a 20"
Spike w screws or whole clutch cover w/ spike & better sticker.

And a question: How to know what CC the one you have is? I thought they were all the same but maybe it's a 55cc and that's why mine feels so dang heavy! Its not a light saw that's for sure! Ha.

This thread was started 10 years ago and the last post was 5 years ago. Not sure if any of the original posters are still active.

Parts for those saws are pretty hard to find these days as there were not nearly as many built as some of the older McCulloch models.

Mark

Lol. Necro posts are always a weird walk down memory lane.

I guess I do it kind of often hoping that folks are still around. Like why not give it a shot and see maybe. Sometimes I don't even think about it, this time I admit that I didn't until Mark made note of it, heh. Maybe I won't be able to get it going after all.

I guess I'll hang on to it despite not having any immediate luck here finding parts. My health is too poor again to really work on saws much anyway unfortunately. Hopefully that will change eventually. I miss working on saws even when I know there are other things I SHOULD be doing with my time, like making money, hahaha. I can't bring myself to sell it off or get rid of it so I guess I'll wait until I can find another oiler, sprocket and some new seals at least and the spike and a new sticker or whole clutch cover would be nice. I still can't believe it even ran at all without the impulse hooked up! That kind of makes it extra cool to me, unless of course I finally get to fixing it up and it still runs like trash! Then I'll be big mad big sad. I think I want to find a nice 372 XPW (75cc) currently more than anything atm and I need to finish a Pro Mac 650, Husky 288 and Homelite XL-901 builds. Anyway, just waggin my chin in the wind here I guess.

Back