Thoughts on skid steer powered splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How many of you use a Bobcat or equivelant splitter attachment? Are they any better than a pull behind engine driven hyd. splitter. My Bobcat is 16.7 GPM and I believe around 3000psi (i forget) I'm going to build one if it makes sense dollar wise and want to cheap out a little in the short run and have it powered by the hyd. on the bobcat. The bad thing is that I have to run up the hours on my skidsteer, I'm not sure I'd be saving any money there. any thoughts anyone??

I've been thinkin of the same thing you are.

the only thing i want to differnt from designs/styles i've seen, is to be able to lock on the control lever on inside the cab, while having a valve on the attachment to control the ram. so this way i am able to run the splitter from the outside. i want to have it like that b/c in my situation it isnt feasible to move the skid steer from block to block like the other designs are intended for.

like you said about runing up the engine hours, im kinda concerned of how high of engine speed the skid steer will have to run, in order to obtain the gpm and cyle times.

sorry if i might have hijacked your thread...seems to kinda fit in w/ your question

Yes I agree, I think I will just get a selff propelled unit and keep the hours down on the Bobcat, It would be worth the extra money in the long run. I also would have controlls out of the bobcat, I think trying to skid from log to log would be a pain and a dirty one(wood)

I've always thought it was better to put the hours on a 400-500$ small engine than on my tractor,also gives you more flexibility to do some jobs where you don't need the bobcat

the only way to split with a skid steer is if the wood is to big to move by hand. We have a splitter for the front of ours that you drop over top of the log and then use your axillary hyd to push the cylinder, operating from inside. We only use it for stuff that is prolly 18 inches or larger, green, or to big to split by hand. Any thing smaller gets the Fiskars. I would agree with the other guys, use a pull behind splitter and use the skid steer to keep the logs coming.:chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back