Thoughts on the MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crash/banger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just recently bought an MS660 to cut with.........first stihl saw I have ran in years my 2186g was about to give up the good fight so I figured I had better pick up something pretty quick.........There are absolutley no husky dealers in this area or atleast none that I am aware of and was just wanting to try something different I went for the 660. My thoughts..... strong saw especially considering the restricted muffler on it........it sounds like a honda engine...... running real ????? sounding so I have ordered a new muffler from walkers to bring it to life a little more. I really need to hear some more noise from it I have gotten so use to the modify muffler sound that I couldn't imagine running one without. A saw like that deserves to be heard dont you think? Anyway very pleased with 660 and looking forward to see how much life I will get out of this saw........Wade

ive got an old 066 redlight special, still ticking, cut alot of timber. good maintance is a big part of how long one lasts.

Jim your right..........maintence is key................I keep my saws clean, heck I even armor all them every sunday when I bring them in and blow them out with the compressor............I've gotten my moneys worth out of every saw I have ever owned..............Wade

Wade, the 066/MS660 is a D@mn good saw! The 066G that you see me using in the thread "Long Bars and Big Timber" is an 066G that dennis built two years ago and still runs like a raped ape:cool: I don't use it every day but it gets used a few times a week when I have big trees on the logging jobs.

I cut with guys out here that run nothing but 066/660 even ehrn the timber size warrants a lighter saw. They are dependable and cut silly between them and the 44/46 no other saws on the planet have put down more timber, that says it all.

I know a couple of guys around here that refuse to run anything else but an 066 or MS660 even though they only run a 20'' bar on it! I personally wouldn't pack that much weight for a 20'' bar but what ever blows your dress up!

I dont use much other than my 066. ocassionally i use the 038 or ms200. not often though.

I have a new 660 and a red light special, man just cant kill that old saw, it just keeps on chugging.
When I started out I got the redlight along with my 020, only 2 saws I had for ages. The 066 has been used for milling,commercail felling and as a general arborist saw. I run 18 to 40 inch bars on it, theres nothing it wont do.
Getting a little tired as the rev limiter looses ground but its a faithful dog (its even sitting infront of the fire as I type)

Will be over the moon if the 660 does half the work that the 066 has done over the years.

You dont need to send away to Walkers for the two port exaust. Stihl makes a two ported muffler for the ms660. Just ask your dealer. They dont put them on stock saws but offer them as an option
Frans

Nope he can't get me one at least so he says...............I use to run the 046 years ago and would always have Madsens send me the stihl dual port muffler's to kick them up a little................Anyway I wanna try a walker muffler just to say I have.........one of them things you know..........I realized the dealer just didn't want to mess with ordering it.........no biggie...........moving on..........Wade

I've had a local dealer say that to me a well, I just went to a diferent shop a few miles away and he has them in stock.

I gave up a long time ago asking my dealer for parts by the description. Either I give him the part number or I look at his computer screen and point out the part. They let me go behind the counter. I have carte-blanche. Hell, even their mechanics are asking me how to fix older saws like the 031.

Getting back to topic at hand, I also have a redeye 066. Indestructable and enjoyable to use. It wears a 24" bar from Jeff S.

Chris B.

Latest posts

Back