Throwing weight within tree...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
First attemp at this was terrible. Any tips here? I assume you guys use a pocket bag and a small weight, and just lob it overhand? I tried swinging it and no good. I would think a small catapult would be great here.

Tips welcomed. I am trying to advance a climbing line maybe 20 feet from a height of around 50.

Thanks for any useful tips,

Dean

i think a steel krab could give multi use; and serve as throwing weight(instead of specialized/ non-multi use throw bag) especially when not taking a throw line/ just using rope anyway. Angled is better than straight up shot; and safer too. "ReTreever" type tools could make retrieval easier also, i think.

edit; though i guess i have to agree with Dan too...

See, frustrating stuff already hey.

I have a Wolfe saw with a hook on the end, rarely do I call it up but it's always on the ground just in case. It's pretty light and extends about 15'.

I also have a big shot and set up pretty smart from the ground.

Sometimes if you need to get out wide on a large lateral and use another climbing line or the tail the hook comes handy.

But I've been thinking, what about a cheap telescopic fishing rod, just put a hook on the end (non fishing hook).

On really huge trees, like those famous Redwoods over there, I've seen video where the guys up the tree use the bigshot with a prussik trigger system to get another high point or tree etc. And a crossbow.

But good planning from the ground saves you time. It's all about the high point, choose carefully and many times I'll pull the bag out of a lower shot and reshoot for the higher coz once you are in that tree you'll appreciate the better position without having to reset all the gadgets.

90% of the time I have my 7'-14' telescoping pole in the tree. I keep a small throwbag on the saddle for tossing (if there's room) or advancing the line. Also very useful for setting tip lines etc. Worth the weight imo.

Flinging is easier if you can lean back and over, and pull branches out of your way.

I too have a pole saw most of the time. I can advance my line sixteen to twenty four feet at a time. Conventional old school stuff, but still way ahead of the spike pruners.

Practice, you'll improve. I put 60 ft. of 2.2 mm Zingit flaked into a small line bag on my saddle. A 10 oz throwbag on one end and an 8 oz on the other. Clip the line bag and the two throwbags with an accessory biner on to your saddle. I usually throw with the 8 oz. 90% of your throws are going to be underhand backwards. Swing it backwards and flip it up. It's the only way to hit a branch overhead. A little practice, it works great. When the bag goes over the crotch give it plenty of slack or it will wrap line around the branch. Follow the same rule for in-tree throwing as you do on the ground: if you get the bag over the wrong branch untie the bag and pull the line back through with no knots on it.
-moss

Agree on Best - get a Big Shot and aim high.

Andrew's suggestion sounds good, I'll try it. But many times the branches, twigs, and even leaves just aggravate me on any attempt to swing and throw the line.

Dont like the ReTreever at all, you may have seen my tirade on it in the Recreational forum. I'll get a Sidkick as soon as Tim goes back in production -
but until then -

I re-modeled a cheap telescoping pruner pole I had bought from Loews years ago. I threw away the worthless pruner head, pulley, rope, and saw blade. I welded a U bolt and a flat iron extension at about a 30 degree angle to verticle on what was left of the pruner head to push a throw knot up through the branches and drop it over my target. Then I ground off the edge on the hook of the old pruner head so I could grab my throw knot on the other side of my target branch without nicking my rope.

Its light, strong enough to push and pull my half inch climbing line over the branch without using a throwline, collapses to about 7 feet to hang on my saddle, has a 12 foot reach, and I dont risk snagging my rope on the saw blade of my Jameson pole.

Just keep practicing. I used one just recentlty after using a big shot to enter the tree. Some times you don't have a choice if you don't own a pole saw and the trees are over 100' tall.

Seems to me like you're going through growing pains Dean. There is a bunch of good advice coming to you. My advice is practice tying a bullet or some type of monkeys fist in your climbing line and throw it 'till you can hit any crotch from twenty feet away.

OTG BOSTON said:
Seems to me like you're going through growing pains Dean. There is a bunch of good advice coming to you. My advice is practice tying a bullet or some type of monkeys fist in your climbing line and throw it 'till you can hit any crotch from twenty feet away.

I second that. A blood knot and monkey fist and with practice you should be able to throw to any fork that a pole can reach and probly quicker than you can have one sent up if not already climbing with one. blood knot is great for swinging from the back of a fork too when you want your rope too run a certain direction through the fork and will also usually come undone easy enough if it jams in a crotch.

Trev

Ekka said:
See, frustrating stuff already hey.

I have a Wolfe saw with a hook on the end, rarely do I call it up but it's always on the ground just in case. It's pretty light and extends about 15'.

I also have a big shot and set up pretty smart from the ground.

Sometimes if you need to get out wide on a large lateral and use another climbing line or the tail the hook comes handy.

But I've been thinking, what about a cheap telescopic fishing rod, just put a hook on the end (non fishing hook).

On really huge trees, like those famous Redwoods over there, I've seen video where the guys up the tree use the bigshot with a prussik trigger system to get another high point or tree etc. And a crossbow.

But good planning from the ground saves you time. It's all about the high point, choose carefully and many times I'll pull the bag out of a lower shot and reshoot for the higher coz once you are in that tree you'll appreciate the better position without having to reset all the gadgets.

I use a simple telescoping pole (it was an old apple picker pole) and took the basket off and strapped on a hooked rod. I use it all the time to position ropes, grab misc. stuff, and a dozen other usefull purposes.

I tried all sorts of stuff initially so I wouldn't have to throw the throw bag. I started off with a crossbow, it turned out the bolt was not heavy enough and it was too inaccurate when weighted, but I wasn't able to control the height.

Tried a compound bow, same problem with not being heavy enough.

Tried a sling shot with fishing line and a reel. Horrible.

Ended up with a pneumatic launcher. Works great.

All this because I didn't want to spend the money on a big shot. (already had the rest of the stuff) After spending the money to make the pneumatic, I prolly should have just gone with the big shot. It seems to be the most widely used, accurate, and simple. The simpler the better, however I do like my launcher, very accurate and fun!

I am primarily a prune climber, and spend a lot of my time deadwooding in large eucalypts.

Does anybody use a short throwline in the tree to snap out those hard to get to pieces of deadwood? Is is any faster than going out after it?

Thanks in advance.

MrRecurve said:
I am primarily a prune climber, and spend a lot of my time deadwooding in large eucalypts.

Does anybody use a short throwline in the tree to snap out those hard to get to pieces of deadwood? Is is any faster than going out after it?

Thanks in advance.

POLESAW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah I got some of that thicker throw line, the yellow stuff, it busts them off easy but if you get a bugger one it's friggin tough to break your line and get the bag back.

Trouble with a pole saw is sawing, the branch vibrates and carries on, then you go for one of those pull string anvil lopper things on the end of a pole ... what a PITA up there. But a pole with a hook is good coz you can also hook the deadwood and bust it off. We are talking only smaller stuff ... say 1" dia.

What size deadwood are you quoting? I usually specify down to 2" etc

A pole is good to get your rope tail when it's like 15' away horizontally too.

A collapsable apple picker ... got a picture of that?

Pole saws are too cumbersome and dont offer the reach of the throwline.

Ekka, I mostly do council work, and I dont really prune the deadwood. If I cant break it off, then it generally stays, unless it is obviously dangerous ie very long and or exposed. Sometimes, if it is a higher profile tree, than all the dead may have to come, dangerous or not, just for aesthetics.

I would rather have twenty 1 to 2 inch dead stubs up there than twenty little collars, its easier on the eye, and cutting to a collar on deadwood is a waste of chain/silky seeing as its compartmentalized already or at least on its way.

MrRecurve said:
Pole saws are too cumbersome and dont offer the reach of the throwline.
:laugh:

Using a polesaw is MORE cumbersome??? than throwing a weight on a string?????, I'll agree to the reach but come on guy, there is a reason that polesaws have been used in this profession forever.

I didnt say they where MORE cumbersome, I said they where TOO cumbersome. I havnt tried the throw line yet, thats why I was asking advice.

It may be that the polesaw is superior, however just because it has been used "forever" doesnt make it the best tool for the job and doesnt mean that climbers shouldn't strive to find easier and more efficient ways of doing things.

Its about having a go, and I come to this site for constructive criticism and intelligent advice; if you have any, I would like to hear it.

You come to this site for constructive criticism and intelligent advice? Have you read some of the threads?

I'm just kidding. But you should know if you've been reading around here that you will get intelligent and constructive advice as well as just advice.
:cheers:

So lighten up dude. I've learned a few things reading this thread hopefully they were intelligent.

back to the original question... how to advance a throwball while in the tree? I believe the question was what type of throwing style is most appropriate? The sidearm works best for me after I'm already tied in, let your arm hang straight down, and then bring it up sideways to your body, keeping your elbow relatively straight, activating shoulder muscles, but more just letting the inertia of your arms pendulum swing keep it going until it's over your head, of course the trick is knowing when to release the rope/ throwline/ whatever so you hit the target, you can get the rope or thowball going in a curve if your good at it which will send it right into the target crotch. If you rely too much on your shoulder muscles you'll hurt yourself. practice practice practice

Latest posts

Back