Thuja Green Giants in Zone 5A?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinball01

Reaction score
I’m looking for some guidance from experienced landscapers. I’ve never once planted so much as a flower so I’m a complete newbie at this. I’ve found myself in a situation where I need to learn… and fast! Here’s my story…

I live on an acre lot. My next door neighbor has more land and decided last year to sub divide her property to build another house. Last year all of the trees were cleared which stripped us of any privacy we had. We were strung along through the town meetings and learned today that we were lied to from the get go. We were under the impression that the new house would not be near our house, but rather at the far/rear of their lot. Imagine our surprise last week when we discovered the new house is literally right next to ours. Needless to say we are NOT happy and are getting no help from the town.

We are beyond frustrated and are in search of finding the perfect trees to plant along our property line to get some privacy back. I discovered Thuja Green Giant trees and love everything I’m reading about the, but I’m seeing mixed opinions on if they’re a suitable match for my zone. I’ve learned I’m in zone 5A.

Whatever tree we decide on will be planted along our fence line. With the green giants, we figured we’d need approximately 48 trees. We get nearly full sun on our property for a good portion of the day, especially during the strongest sun periods. I know nothing about our soil quality, but will get it tested if that’s possible and/or recommended. If there are any other tips I’d be very greatful. Any other tree suggestions are welcome as well.

They do fine in northern Ohio. We get as cold as -15 to -20 on a fairly "normal" basis historically.

As far as matching a tree to your soil, probably best to have somebody out to look at that with you. Soil testing does give some good information, but I like to evaluate the whole site.

Arbs are hardy & can adapt in wide range of soil conditions. Planted (properly) in full sun your issues may be bag worms, needle miner, winter injury/damage & deer. 48 plants is an investment best to take ATH advice & have the site looked at.

Thanks for the response. That's good to know about the weather. We don't usually get that cold in the winter so hopefully that'll bode well for us. We will be having a landscaper come in to look at the property and guide us along. We have a few trees still standing where there were many. I'm assuming those will need to come down which may not be a bad idea to keep it uniform. The trees we have are looking rather old and bare at the bottom anyway.

Be careful of just a "landscaper"...make sure you know what you are getting. Maybe I am biased as an arborist - but "landscapers" around here range from great to having no idea what they are doing, but they will take your money and do what you want. Some are great designers, but have no idea how to plant a tree or match a tree to the site. Not saying you need a specific arborist company...just make sure whoever you are working with knows how to best help. There may be such a thing where you work with one company to do the design and another to help select species and either plant or monitor the planting to make sure the trees are planted correctly. It is amazing how rare that is around here...hopefully it is better in your area!

Latest posts

Back