Thunderstorms, tree frogs and tornado watches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob1276

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Unreal for feb weather for my area heavy rain thunderstorms and tonight I heard tree frogs bees out and about this has been the warmest winter that I can remember 2011 was the wettest season on record in my area as well
So I am trying to get ahead for next winter cutting as much wood as I can plus with fuel rising I think we all be better off doing the same. Thankfully I didn't use the majority of the wood I have already
Who knows we may really get dumped on next winter.

Hmmmmmm... ain't heard no tree frogs... but we've still got some snow on the ground 'round here. Back in January, before the snow came, we did have some bugs flyin' 'round one weekend. Who knows though, they're sayin' 50's for next week, maybe even a low 60 one day... might just hear me a tree frog in early March this year.

I'm glad I put my oaks on the ground couple weeks ago... sap will start runnin' soon, especially after the rains we received over the last couple days. Gonna' be an early spring this year, no doubt. The way things have been it wouldn't surprise me to see some of the farmers out workin' up the ground in early April.

Won't be long now and the topic(s) here on the AS firewood forum will be storm damage, poison ivy, nettles, itch weed, ticks, mosquitoes, black flies, chiggers, fire ants, hornets nests, wood ID questions (with pics of leafs), wood shed builds, "will it be ready by fall?" questions, and "damn it's hot" posts... and after this last winter I expect to see a few "I'm out of storage room for my wood" posts.

Hmmmmmm... ain't heard no tree frogs... but we've still got some snow on the ground 'round here. Back in January, before the snow came, we did have some bugs flyin' 'round one weekend. Who knows though, they're sayin' 50's for next week, maybe even a low 60 one day... might just hear me a tree frog in early March this year.

I'm glad I put my oaks on the ground couple weeks ago... sap will start runnin' soon, especially after the rains we received over the last couple days. Gonna' be an early spring this year, no doubt. The way things have been it wouldn't surprise me to see some of the farmers out workin' up the ground in early April.

Won't be long now and the topic(s) here on the AS firewood forum will be storm damage, poison ivy, nettles, itch weed, ticks, mosquitoes, black flies, chiggers, fire ants, hornets nests, wood ID questions (with pics of leafs), wood shed builds, "will it be ready by fall?" questions, and "damn it's hot" posts... and after this last winter I expect to see a few "I'm out of storage room for my wood" posts.

Two days ago in my area all the ornamental pears and cherry trees all blossomed out, along with forsythia bushes popping. The frogs have been out now and then all winter!

Storage room, yep, I have to come up with new stacking areas for the splits, and this is after adding three more areas last year, they are full. Haven't even started on my big pile of rounds yet.

Freeking bugs out all over, flies are bad.

And March is always weird here, toss a coin, could continue to just get warmer, or have a cold snap and get snow. Half the time it gets real warm, then one or two days of frost, hurts the tree and buds.

I learned my lesson on the garden, no hot weather stuff in the ground until into april, they'll just live in the greenhouse until then.

I have it on good authority from the lady down the road (who predicts a severe winter every year ) that the big one is still on the way and we'll all be caught off guard.:D

I just look at it as a bonus the more work I put into getting as much wood as I can will hopefully pay off in case it does get bad next winter. I don't like cutting in the summer so I'm trying to get as much done as I can with the mild temps

Yep it's been an unusually mild winter. The maples and gums are already starting to bud. The daffodills are in bloom.

Like Rob said, I've been trying to get next year's wood laid in cause it's just too hot and humid to cut firewood in summer. If this rain ever lets up I can get some rounds loaded to the yard.

Talkin' 'bout a warm winter...

...check this out, hope you can see them, tadpoles in tractor rut puddles! Hundreds of them hatched out already. This is the earliest I have ever seen any.

attachment.php

Tomorrow is the big day...start mowing! I still have a lot of wood to finish cutting and tons to split though. That's going on year round for me now. And still running a fire in the evening and in the morning. I've been trying to judge what I burned this winter, and even starting a month earlier than normal, I am running about 60% of what I normally burn. Whatever in my long stack, which should have been all gone in January, that is leftover hickory I will be splitting small, cutting it in half again with the chop saw and see what I can do with some smoker wood.

Back