Ticks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepheniox

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Yesterday I was out at my wood cutting place and found a couple deer ticks on me. I've never seen ticks before so now I'm freaking out. Just wondering how I'm supposed to deal with them and ensure I found them all. The dog was having a blast running though the tall grass.

Be careful out there, If you see a bulls-mark on you then that means you have/had a tick on you. Lyme Disease is killer.

Be careful out there, If you see a bulls-mark on you then that means you have/had a tick on you. Lyme Disease is killer.

Not exactly. If you have a bulls-eye mark, you have probably been bitten by a deer tick. But there is not always a bulls-eye mark. Any small tick bite should be dealt with carefully or maybe even checked by a doc to be sure your alright. If they are still crawling on you and have not fastened themself to you, there won't be any sort of a mark.
Ted

good advice ted! one of my older wood customers had lymes for 5 years and didnt know it!! hes a 70,s plus man that they family and doc thought was showing signs of dementhia!! stumbeling around and going goofy over 4.5 years?? he had been seen by different docs to confirm his disablement and given meds to help him!! getting worse over the last 6 months they(docs) didnt give him much hope of recovering!! after a different doc was complexed over his condition he had another series of tests done and found out he had lymes !! its been about 6 more months since his recovery started from lymes and hes doing just fine!! so be careful with ticks and besure to have yourself checked when in doubt....

The ticks have been bad this spring, dog and deer varieties both. I walked out in the woodlot the other day and found two of 'em crawling on me. They hand out in the leaf cover near the base of trees. I ain't gonna be walking around out there again until fall.

The best way to find them is to strip naked and have the significant other look you over. Ticks tend to crawl upward and they'll often be found on the back of the neck, at the hairline. But they'll attach anywhere on the body.

If there's a way to keep them from getting on you, I'm unaware of it. Avoid tall grass.

Lots of ticks every year here in the Ozarks. We just kind of get used to em. :msp_mellow:

Oh and I stay out of the woods (unless on a tractor) from first of May until first of October.

as an avid backpacker and the fiance of a veterinarian i have quite a bit of knowledge of ticks.

1: don't worry about getting them. sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. i don't see them as that big of a deal (yes, the high grasses are where they LOVE to hang out)
2: thorough inspection upon getting home is key for finding and removing them. they like dark and hot. so check those areas (back of neck, armpits, knees, crotch, legs
3: lyme takes 48-72 hours to transmit, so #2 is your best defense against that disease (learn proper tweezer technique for removal of tick).
4: lyme isn't the end of the world. very treatable with doxycyclin. watch for symptoms, as the bullseye doesn't always show up. it's a simple blood test at the doctor.
5: permytherin is a very effective insecticide at preventing ticks. this is a chemical that you can spray on clothing you wear into the woods. shoes, socks, pants would be the areas that i would spray (i do this on my hiking clothes in the spring). it is toxic to cats, frogs, and fish. so if you plan to stand in streams don't use it, or if you have cats at home don't leave those clothes around where the cat can lie on them. deet is also an effective way of keeping them off you in the woods. spray every couple of hours to mask your co2 output.

hope that helps...

Since FIL died my wife and I have been taking care of his dogs. Weve been walking them in the woods near the house and shes had two on her and I had one. Thats the most weve ever seen in a year.:msp_unsure:

I *have* to walk around the woods and fields every day. Plus I have 7 dogs. I do search and destroy of each dog and myself every time we go for a walk and when we come back. I've gotten real fast at a patdown and find them and yank them. I just pull em and squish them in the road between rocks, or if down by the stream or lake, chunk them in the water for the minnows.

Just one of those things if you live rural, just learn to deal with it. If you looked at all the potential threats in the outside world, and got overly paranoid, you'd never leave your apartment.

I found 8 of them on me last Saturday after splitting wood for a couple of hours. We got the tall grass flattened down pretty good now and so far haven't found any this weekend. They were bad last year and are even worse this year.

It's drastic, but....

I found 8 of them on me last Saturday after splitting wood for a couple of hours. We got the tall grass flattened down pretty good now and so far haven't found any this weekend. They were bad last year and are even worse this year.

A nearby fireant colony will keep the ticks sorted out pretty well. It's just a wildcard if you can tolerate one colony nearby or not.

Supposedly a flock of guinea fowl or "peahens" will also keep your immediate yard and area tick free, but I haven't personally tried that.

it sure would be nice to have a flock of 12 chickens and a rooster! but our local laws say no fowel!! you can have goats, horses or even 100 rabbits ? but no to a bakers dozen of chickens!! so i wonder if 13 roosters would be coinsidered a flock of chickens?? :msp_unsure::msp_wink:

it sure would be nice to have a flock of 12 chickens and a rooster! but our local laws say no fowel!! you can have goats, horses or even 100 rabbits ? but no to a bakers dozen of chickens!! so i wonder if 13 roosters would be coinsidered a flock of chickens?? :msp_unsure::msp_wink:

You can't have chickens?? Or just roosters from the noise? If it is hens only maybe you can get a variance.

USA keeps sliding downhill in what "they allow". Dang founding fathers would have half of goobermint dweebs today swinging from trees, and the other half scared into sticking to their proper role as outlined in our alleged "contract" we have to have a union.

4: lyme isn't the end of the world. very treatable with doxycyclin. watch for symptoms, as the bullseye doesn't always show up. it's a simple blood test at the doctor.
Lyme is easily treatable if you do it soon. If you've had it for a long time it can be very difficult to get rid of. If the spirochetes get into areas past where the antibiotics will penetrate then they are less effective. Also they appear to have a dormant phase whereupon it can seem to come back later. Last, the tests your Dr. will typically use are just about totally worthless, especially if you've had it before. You need a Dr. who can recognize it symptomatically rather than waiting for a useless test result to come back.

Dogs and horses get it too, you need to watch their behavior - our outdoor dog is just about to go on her annual dose of ABX, as she's sleeping all the time and is having trouble getting up. She's had several ticks on her so far this year.

Lyme is a big problem here, and has been fairly devastating to my family. It's nothing to take lightly, but that doesn't mean I hide in the house. I spent two days pulling firewood and sticks out of now waist high grass, wearing long pants covered in DEET.

I have the 12 chicken set up. Does reduce the amount of ticks. Dogs still get them tho. And on the long sleeves, I don't agree unless its in a one piece jam-mies taped at the neck and hands.

Yeah I think I'll just stay out of there for awhile. But I also think they're at the dog park where we go. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on him. At least there I'm not in the tall grass.

Its pretty much of a hot bed here for lyme ,( NY, Mass., Conn. border) the wife has had it 3 times and I've had It once. Its basically a way of life for us. Were constantly pulling ticks off the pouch. What I've found that helps is after I take a walk in the woods or do my fire wooding I go on arboristsite and log on for a few minutes. This helps in the way that your pretty much motionless so you can feel ticks crawling on you. I've pulled quite a few off of me doing this.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back