Tight/loose spots new chain, sprocket, and bar.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had this problem too . Was like beating my head against a wall... bought an aftermarket clutch drum , bearing , rim spocket for a part saw I was fixing.

Tryed everything from a different bar , rim spocket , chains , even changing the tensioners..

Turns out it was the clutch drum that was out. Replaced the drum and rim spocket with oem and it was fixed !

Hope this helps

Who installed the clutch drum and clutch? Are the clutch washers in the right places? If that is correct, I would tension the chain to where it's tight but can still rotate by hand, tighten the bar nuts and run it a little while and check it again.
I installed the clutch and clutch drum but there are no washers.
I checked the diagram for my saw Jonsered 2150 (same as Husqvarna 350) and the diagram doesn't show any either.
Screenshot_20230225_123011_Chrome.jpg

I had this problem too . Was like beating my head against a wall... bought an aftermarket clutch drum , bearing , rim spocket for a part saw I was fixing.

Tryed everything from a different bar , rim spocket , chains , even changing the tensioners..

Turns out it was the clutch drum that was out. Replaced the drum and rim spocket with oem and it was fixed !

Hope this helps
I am using a genuine Husqvarna spur sprocket. Made in Sweden, not China.
But I will inspect it anyway
Thanks

I am using a genuine Husqvarna spur sprocket. Made in Sweden, not China.
But I will inspect it anyway
Thanks
If u live near a husky dealer I'd suggest go there and ask if you could try some parts to figure out the solution to ur problem. At the end of the day ur gonna buy whatever part u need to fix it so they should help you .

The guy at my local stihl shop let me try all sorts of parts until we got the problem. They where pretty helpfull

I installed the clutch and clutch drum but there are no washers.
I checked the diagram for my saw Jonsered 2150 (same as Husqvarna 350) and the diagram doesn't show any either.
View attachment 1060857

Ok. I've never owned a 350. My other Husqvarnas all have a washer that goes on the crankshaft before the bearing and drum.

Hey, Vir!dis,

I had exactly the same issue with my new Stihl MS-462. Posted pics and vids on the forum also. Never got to the bottom of it. It drove me mad! How can one properly adjust the tension if it's never the same? Anyway, ended up just cutting with it, and never had a problem.... I know that doesn't "make it right", but just saying.

If you find the answer, please post it here! It could help a few of us out!

Mike

Had the same issue with almost all of my MS180 and MS170 .
Sometimes it went away by itself ,
some times re-appeared .Checked everything .
Crankshaft ,main bearings ,clutch ,drum /sprocket ,bars ...
Everything was right and in order .

There was only one possibility left ...
Since my sprockets and the bar tip gear have not the same number of teeth ( 6 vs 9 ) ,
in certain chain installments
there has to be a point or two , where as the chain turns it gets tight or loose ,due to the sprocket and gear position at those points .
Kinda like a "mismatch" between "let/push" and "pull" actions between the sprocket and the bar tip gear .Tried a bar without a front gear and Whoaaa....it was gone !
It is quite common with my
14" bar & chain combos ,
while it never occurred
to me with a 16" bar & chain combo.

Personally I'm convinced that in
certain bar & chain lengths
( thus link number )the
six toothed sprocket could be
slightly "out of tune " or "
" not in perfect coordination " with the nine teeth bar tip gear of my MS170s/180s .
And this is not always the case.
While when was the case ,in more than a few times the issue was resolved by removing the chain and simply
re-installing it .
It's a random kind of thing .

Screenshot_20230302_135713_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpgNot sure if this picture is showing or not, but this is from the Jonsered workshop service manual. My 2150 has a spur sprocket, so I am wondering if a worm gear/ rim sprocket from one of the other listed models would fit?
This might stop my chain from drifting sideways down at the clutch end.

Anyone know the Husqvarna models that match the following Jonsered models? And which ones come with rim sprockets, because the service manual is wrong about mine haveing a rim sprocket.
Jonsered . . . . . . .Husqvarna
CS 2141 =
CS 2145 =
CS 2147 =
CS 2149 =
CS 2150 = Husqvarna 350 (Spur Sprocket)
CS 2152 =

Thanks

View attachment 1062520Not sure if this picture is showing or not, but this is from the Jonsered workshop service manual. My 2150 has a spur sprocket, so I am wondering if a worm gear/ rim sprocket from one of the other listed models would fit?

Anyone know the Husqvarna models that match the following Jonsered models? And which ones come with rim sprockets, because the service manual is wrong about mine haveing a rim sprocket.
CS 2141 =
CS 2145 =
CS 2147 =
CS 2149 =
CS 2152 =

Thanks
The pro saws in that bunch are the 2147 (early 346) and 2153 (late 346). They have rim sprockets.

View attachment 1062520Not sure if this picture is showing or not, but this is from the Jonsered workshop service manual. My 2150 has a spur sprocket, so I am wondering if a worm gear/ rim sprocket from one of the other listed models would fit?

CS 2141 =
CS 2145 =
CS 2147 =
CS 2149 =
CS 2152 =

Thanks
A 346 rim and drum will work on your saw

Start, warm up, make sure chain is getting oil, cut wood cut more wood and again cut more wood. Then see how it's looking, you should be happy and all normal. If not...... cut more wood, fill up both tanks and repeat all over again.
Or spend days looking for answers when you should be out inhaling two stroke fumes 😊

Had the same issue with almost all of my MS180 and MS170 .
Sometimes it went away by itself ,
some times re-appeared .Checked everything .
Crankshaft ,main bearings ,clutch ,drum /sprocket ,bars ...
Everything was right and in order .

There was only one possibility left ...
Since my sprockets and the bar tip gear have not the same number of teeth ( 6 vs 9 ) ,
in certain chain installments
there has to be a point or two , where as the chain turns it gets tight or loose ,due to the sprocket and gear position at those points .
Kinda like a "mismatch" between "let/push" and "pull" actions between the sprocket and the bar tip gear .Tried a bar without a front gear and Whoaaa....it was gone !
It is quite common with my
14" bar & chain combos ,
while it never occurred
to me with a 16" bar & chain combo.

Personally I'm convinced that in
certain bar & chain lengths
( thus link number )the
six toothed sprocket could be
slightly "out of tune " or "
" not in perfect coordination " with the nine teeth bar tip gear of my MS170s/180s .
And this is not always the case.
While when was the case ,in more than a few times the issue was resolved by removing the chain and simply
re-installing it .
It's a random kind of thing .

I don't see how different number sprockets can make any difference. Look at the old single speed bicycles. Large sprocket and small sprocket. Never seen tight and loose spots on those. We have some old chain driven machines at work with a chain going around 4 different size sprockets. Once you tension the chain it stays that way unless one or more sprockets is worn out. Then it will ride up on the teeth and make tight and loose spots.

Not sure if this picture is showing or not, but this is from the Jonsered workshop service manual. My 2150 has a spur sprocket, so I am wondering if a worm gear/ rim sprocket from one of the other listed models would fit?

CS 2141 =
CS 2145 =
CS 2147 =
CS 2149 =
CS 2152 =

Thanks
CS 2141 = 340
CS 2145 = 345
CS 2147 = 346xp(old)
CS 2149 = 351
CS 2152 = 353

CS 2141 = 340
CS 2145 = 345
CS 2147 = 346xp(old)
CS 2149 = 351
CS 2152 = 353
Thanks for that.
If I can't find a worm gear for a rim sprocket that will fit the 2150 I will probably try 3d print one. But I will check the ones you listed 1st.

Back