Tilling near cherry trees, how bad would that be?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SuuzinSeattle

SuuzinSeattle

There are two mature (at least 15 yo) fruitful sour cherry trees in the parking strip of my home. I want to install pavers between the trees as walkway from street. Would using a tiller to loosen soil for removal in the section where the pavers would go be detrimental to the trees? It would mean cutting through some surface roots, but I don't know if this degree of damage is significant . I don't want to harm the trees. The cherries are great. Thank you for considering my issue.

hardpan

hardpan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Raintree
Can you define root zone? Everything beneath the canopy, like the shaded area in your avatar tree? Is this pretty constant or does it vary with different trees? Thanks for your persistent and helpful answers.

Raintree

Raintree

Penguins are tasty
. AS Supporting Member.
criticalrootzone.jpg

SuuzinSeattle

SuuzinSeattle

It's never a good idea to disturb the root zone. If the trees are growing in limited soil volume (parking strip) the concern is magnified. Pics can be helpful to continue this discussion.
Sorry for the delayed response ( I forgot my login), but just wanted to say thank you for this and the diagram below. I'm going to forget about installing a path.

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Why not add some mulch easier on the feet and roots ? "Proper mulching" I prefer wood chips feels so good on my feet almost like walking on air and the fiberous root absorbing ie just love it, assuming it is not a wet swampy area!