Tillotson throttle plates?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rx7man

Cattle Rubbing Post
Reaction score
I was wondering if there's a source for Tillotson throttle plates.. I have a few 2100's and the plates are totally worn out, carbs are fine otherwise so I would just need the plates.. The kits I've found are only the soft parts.

i've owned more 2100's then any other saw i'm sure. ones used and abused by logging crews for years and i've never once had to replace a throttle butterfly.

Well, these ones are absolutely done for.. there's a TON of wear on the butterfly opposite the linkage side.. to the point where it idles way the heck too fast.. one is still 'tolerable', but I might as well get a couple and do them right.

Well, these ones are absolutely done for.. there's a TON of wear on the butterfly opposite the linkage side.. to the point where it idles way the heck too fast.. one is still 'tolerable', but I might as well get a couple and do them right.

first for me, got a pic? maybe i just ignored them and fattened them up to bring the idle down LOL

Howdy,
Not sure if you pulled the shaft yet but, usually if the flap is that worn, the shaft will be out of round also. The flap is a 501 69 11-01 from Husqvarna. The shaft is a 501 82 16-01 if you need it.
Regards
Gregg

thanks grande dog. shaft seems fine, though I haven't pulled it, it doesn't seem to flop around

Here's the pic

View attachment 455292

wholey ****, that isn't regular wear and tear. looks like someone did a number on it trying to get it out or some ****. was the idle screw seized up? looks like some cull cut the butterfly to let more air in an attempt to keep it idling. FAIL!!! i do agree, that needs to be replaced!

That is wear!.. it's the 3rd saw I've seen it on. I think a lot of it comes when people don't replace the retainer that fits in the groove on the end of the shaft, some had a plate held by a screw that would prevent the shaft from moving either direction, and others had a C clip.. the C clip ones didn't do anything in that axis... Putting a sleeve on the inside of the spring to butt up to the carb body and throttle linkage would relieve some of the force and prevent the throttle plate from ever touching.

Idle screws were backed all the way off.. these saws are very high hour saws.

how that wear goes so far in with the corners of the butterfly still intact beats me. i'm not convinced at all although you don't need to convince me. high hour 2100's in BC are the norm. i've worked on and owned so many of them and never seen that. somehow you have 3 in just a few saws. probably got them from the same cull even? you diagnose it anyway you want but that is not normal wear.

2 of them are from one owner, the 3rd was from someone else... the picture shown is the worst of the 3 by far. I was told it was a common problem with the 2100's, and so far I gotta agree.. Perhaps conditions are a little different (more abrasive) than on the coast?

The owner of these 2 saws isn't the sharpest cutter on the chain, at least not mechanically inclined.. he had a 404 chain on a bar with a 375 nose sprocket on it.. and his filing jobs aren't what I'd expect from someone who was a faller for a living... He's an equipment operator now though.

I think on the first 2100 I did I reground a choke plate to fit

Howdy,

Sometimes you can't tell until you remove it. As the pressure side of the flap wears out, the portion of the flap that's mounted to the shaft doesn't wear. So it can feel tight.

Regards
Gregg

Attachments

• flap.png
    flap.png
    580 bytes · Views: 7
I have to agree with rx. I totally see how those can wear that way. You have to look at the butterfly as if it were in the running position which would put it horizontal thus rubbing the side flat. There must be quite a bit of side load on that throttle shaft? Imo BTW what size is that? I might have one I'll give you just let me know. Love to help a guy out

The plates are pretty cheap.. I can afford the OEM ones I think. I'd have to check on the size.

Actually, I think it wore on the linkage side, which would be caused by the return spring pushing the shaft outward... either way, the fix for it is to install the keeper with a plate instead of the C clip which only acts in one direction.. I think that particular carb was missing the C clip too. I took it apart and the shaft is still fine.

Throttle plate on my 2100 was worn. Luckily the carb body was not significantly worn. DPO left off locating components and of course it wore out. I bought new tillotson components and all is now well except I forgot to get a new return spring which was probably the original reason for the previous hack job. I use my spare carb from the dead 298 in the mean time.
I bought OEM tillotson parts through a tillotson dealer that arrived in vepeterson bags.

Latest posts

Back