Timber Sports not a sport?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think about this way, how taxing an event is on your body is relative to how long it takes you to do it. For example, I can chop a 13" white pine underhand, on a good day, in less than 15 seconds. That doesn't make me sore at all. However, give the same set up to someone with less experience and it will take them three to five minutes - that will cause great stress on the body.

I've been competing in this sport for a long time. As Andy stated, for those of us who are proficient the physically taxing nature of that event is minimal. However, you get me to peavey log roll, or one man crosscut a 24" hardwood log and I'm going to be sore and taxed.

As of now, the most physically demanding events in Lumberjack or Timber Sports are the Great Outdoor Games endurance events (men's is three disciplines back to back (Underhand followed by Standing followed by Single)) and the endurance chopping that takes place in Spain (you could be competing for up to 3 hour straight cutting up to 15 15" or bigger beech logs in both the underhand and standing). I have no not done the endruance chopping in Spain and I never plan too. I don't have the time to train for that type of race because of my work. However, I have done the endurance race at the GO Games every year they've had it and I've medaled the past two years. Let me be the first to say that I was completely wiped out after having done four of those races in less than 24 hours. It took me a good three or four days to recover from that. I was sore in places I didn't know I could be sore.

To me, for people to say that something is or isn't a sport, let them come try it and see what they think. Let them see the effort that top performers must endure to get to where they're at; my guess is that one attempt will cause most to think twice. The skill involved in all sports is that way. To me, the recent popularity of Poker is a true understatement of this (yes, anyone can play, but only a few can play really well).

Just my thoughts,
Jamie

BlueRidgeMark said:
Motocross racers are not athletes.

I will disagree with you on that one Mark. Ridin' motocross has many athletic attributes. I'm not talkin' that freestyle junk either.

This doesn't include a weekend warrior trail rider. Full on MX racers are some of the best athletes in the world.

Gary

Non sport?

NWCS said:
picking a cut is alot like picking your line on the nascar track.. bad line will cost you! good line just could win you that race.

My dad feels that NASCAR Cup racing is not a sport, either. "It's just a bunch of guys driving around in a circle." I wish I could get him into a car for a ride-along with one Nextel driver. :D

Surely he misunderstands timbersports. Especially the competitions that use hand tools(single buck, underhand chop, springboard chob) these are alll athletically demanding. Stock sawing would be something I think anyone who has run a chainsaw a lot of hours and is good with one can do, but compete with the best? Probably not. I have never run a hotsaw, so I won't say what that's all about. I bet you have to know what you're doing to keep from killing yourself with one as with any large powerful saw. Also keep in mind, these sports talk show hosts are paid to be professional d-bags. The more infuriating, irreverant, or controversial they can be the better they have done their jobs. My 2 bits.

Diesel JD said:
these sports talk show hosts are paid to be professional d-bags. The more infuriating, irreverant, or controversial they can be the better they have done their jobs. My 2 bits.

Yep, only leave out the "sports" part - it's true of most talk hosts.

Latest posts

Back