Timber wolf 5 or a super split type spliter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to dig up my copy of Sawmill and WoodLot magazine from last year that tested all the splitters out there. The operators were employess or reps from the individual manufacturers. I do believe that Paul and the SS won the competition. The multi-way wedge splitters are fast, but where they fell behind was getting the wood to an acceptable size for the competition. In this case I believe it had to pass through a 3x4 opening or the likes.

If you are loading with a log lift I could :msp_smile::msp_smile::msp_smile:
if not I'm pretty darn close most of the time. If it's clean enough to go thru a 6 way. 2.6 sec 2 pieces, 5.2 sec 4 pieces, 7.8 sec 6 pieces.... could be more if I stack them. Both great machines you just have to be a owner to be a believer in the SS.

No it's not. Not even kinda sorta close.

The TW5 will send a 15" round through a 6 way wedge in under 8 seconds.
One pass, done.

You can not split that same round with a SS that fast, there's simply no way.

If you are loading with a log lift I could :msp_smile::msp_smile::msp_smile:
if not I'm pretty darn close most of the time. If it's clean enough to go thru a 6 way. 2.6 sec 2 pieces, 5.2 sec 4 pieces, 7.8 sec 6 pieces.... could be more if I stack them. Both great machines you just have to be a owner to be a believer in the SS.

I have used Super Splits. They are great, no doubt. Perfect for a home-owner, or as a companion to a big splitter like the TW5.

As far as "clean", the TW5 will split crotched white oak through the 6 way.

Now, sure, there will be oversized chunks from the TW5. But in the long run, the TW5 will produce more wood. Even if you have to re-split some at the end of the day.
The power, the 6 way wedge, the auto cycle, and the log-lift add up to far more than the SS.

I have a guy doing firewood on my landing with a maul. He can split a cord of wood faster than either of these splitters can. Seriously, he can split a cord of wood with a maul in less than 20 minutes. And he's 50 years old. He's an animal.

If you can afford it, buy the timberwolf TW5FC. There's really no comparing the two. One lifts and splits ANYTHING quickly, with no drama. The other splits fast, but you lift, and there's no such thing as a 4 or 6 way on a SS. Means more work any way you look at it.
If the one you want is 600 pounds, then you'll need a yard tractor or quad to move that too, so no diff there.
The TW5FC (Fast cycle) will have an auto-return valve, making it even faster.
No comparison if the money is no issue.

if money is no issue then you can buy 2 SS and hire three more laborers needed to run it and then there is a comparison. I own a SS and my friend/neighbor runs a TW-6. I have full access to both at anytime. Some wood goes to the SS and some knarly stuff gets the TW. There is no "time" difference decisions to be made, the wood makes the difference and ultimate choice. If you are getting tree service cast off stumps "and" can use them in OWB size,then the TW is more effective, if you get clean rounds and need them for bundles ect then the SS wins hands down. Remember this is the USA and the one thing we still have is capital...money is never really the issue, its how you chose to use it that is...

There's a good size firewood outfit down the road from me. They used 2 or 3 hydraulic splitters for years, but not the big commercial units. About a year ago I saw a new Super Split in their wood lot, now the other splitters are gone.

What sold me on the SS, was seeing one in operation 10 years ago. A very large firewood outfit south of St.Louis. I've never seen that much firewood in one place and they had one splitter, a Super Split. I helped load a cord on a one ton truck. right off the splitter. I had never seen anything like it and wanted one bad :)

I think I detect a case of SS-Love! I gotta run one of these things to see how it compares. Angelo, you need to lend me your machine for a week so I can report back my findings :msp_smile:

-mark

if money is no issue then you can buy 2 SS and hire three more laborers needed to run it and then there is a comparison. I own a SS and my friend/neighbor runs a TW-6. I have full access to both at anytime. Some wood goes to the SS and some knarly stuff gets the TW. There is no "time" difference decisions to be made, the wood makes the difference and ultimate choice. If you are getting tree service cast off stumps "and" can use them in OWB size,then the TW is more effective, if you get clean rounds and need them for bundles ect then the SS wins hands down. Remember this is the USA and the one thing we still have is capital...money is never really the issue, its how you chose to use it that is...

I'll have to dig up my copy of Sawmill and WoodLot magazine from last year that tested all the splitters out there. The operators were employess or reps from the individual manufacturers. I do believe that Paul and the SS won the competition. The multi-way wedge splitters are fast, but where they fell behind was getting the wood to an acceptable size for the competition. In this case I believe it had to pass through a 3x4 opening or the likes.

Hey MN, you get your check from SS? I haven't got mine for this month yet. ;)
:hmm3grin2orange:

I think I detect a case of SS-Love! I gotta run one of these things to see how it compares. Angelo, you need to lend me your machine for a week so I can report back my findings :msp_smile:

-mark

Mark,
Mi casa e su casa !!! anytime. As soon as the weather breaks some more we'll get together and play. I picked up a rescued 6401 yesterday. Guy had a 034,026 an 025 and this 6401...says he's got real saws here and ain't got no room for this Home Depot rental junk. I was at work so I didn't even look at it. I told him to throw that trash in the bed of my truck, I'll take care of his problem. I threw him a few $ and off he went. I have a spare P/C from my BB so I didn't even care for the $$ i paid. I got it home and threw it on a fallen maple....man I forgot how much i love those saws bone stock. poor lonely 372 never made it out of the basement....
felt real good to be cuttin again....bring on the season !!!!

I'm on direct deposit, first and fifteenth of every month. Don't forget bonuses are due out soon. Think I'll buy my old lady a new Cadillac this year..... :D

Think you're doing better than me, but you have seniority.
I'll just have to work harder. :msp_biggrin:

Now that I know you're feeling spritely you can come and help me block & split the 30 cords I've got piled up! Bring the Super Split...we need to have a split off.:msp_smile:

Mark,
Mi casa e su casa !!! anytime. As soon as the weather breaks some more we'll get together and play. I picked up a rescued 6401 yesterday. Guy had a 034,026 an 025 and this 6401...says he's got real saws here and ain't got no room for this Home Depot rental junk. I was at work so I didn't even look at it. I told him to throw that trash in the bed of my truck, I'll take care of his problem. I threw him a few $ and off he went. I have a spare P/C from my BB so I didn't even care for the $$ i paid. I got it home and threw it on a fallen maple....man I forgot how much i love those saws bone stock. poor lonely 372 never made it out of the basement....
felt real good to be cuttin again....bring on the season !!!!

Now that I know you're feeling spritely you can come and help me block & split the 30 cords I've got piled up! Bring the Super Split...we need to have a split off.:msp_smile:

not a bad idea...one woodpile- two men- two machines each(saw-6401/7901 and a splitter).....IT'S LUMBERDOME !!!!

two men enter one man LEAVES...with the beer !!!!!!

MASTERBLASTER !!!

Came across this old thread while doing some research. I know this is an old thread, but I to am thinking of getting a new splitter. Soooooo many to choose from, including the Super Split, the Split Second (by Agri Fab), the various TW's, and so on. Found a good video comparing the SS to a TW 5 (with 4 way and 6 way wedge). After watching the video, my calculations below will make more sense. Here's the video:

Now for the numbers:
SSVSTW_zps323f9a50.png

Based strictly on the above data, the Super Split wins. That's not to say the TW isn't an extremely excellent splitter, because it certainly is! And some will just prefer it just because they like it. I think the Super Split won because it's easier to control the size of the splits, whereas the TW just pushed out a bunch of splits, and the re-splitting took some extra time. If the size of the splits wasn't to critical, then maybe the TW would win (little to no re-splitting). The Split Second (Mfg by Agri Fab http://www.splitsecondlogsplitter.com/) requires two hands to activate the pusher (probably for liability reasons), whereas the Super Split http://www.supersplit.com/orderform.html requires only one hand. Other less expensive splitter have caught my attention to. Like the Brave 20 ton two-way splitter (http://www.braveproducts.com/logsplitters/brave20tondualsplit.html) I burn about 10 full cords a year, so I don't need high production, but I'm pushing 70, and making firewood is very labor intensive (but a labor of "love"). I've been using a little Ryobi 4 ton electric splitter for 10 years. With it's 8-12 second cycle time, it gets the job done, and I may just stay with it. But it is fun to "window shop". Here's a video of my set-up. Just imagine a Super Split instead of my little Ryobi in this set-up. MMMmmm ! Splits would be flying like sawdust ! This is probably the last year I'll "gather" firewood. Starting next year, I'll buy truckloads of logs. Oh! Today's my birthday, 69.

Happy firewood hunting

Don <><

That vid was designed for a TW fail... Put an experienced TW owner on that splitter with a table grate added and you will see what a TW will really do!

Here's a SS in some tough wood, (about 3-1/2 mins in)

SR

That vid was designed for a TW fail... Put an experienced TW owner on that splitter with a table grate added and you will see what a TW will really do!

Here's a SS in some tough wood, (about 3-1/2 mins in)

SR

I don't doubt the SS has its time and place but its about time we finally get to see it in realistic wood

If most of my wood was of the tough gnarly type, I'd probably go with a conventional hydraulic splitter. It really depends on the species you gather the most. All the wood I gather is easy to split, and not that big. 18 inches is the max diameter I can take from the forest, and most of the stuff I get is 12 to 16 inches. So a SS would suit me just fine. But it's not for every body. I'm still considering some conventional hydraulic splitters because of the cost. I figure I got maybe 10 more years of firewood making in me (I hope).

Don <><

rob, for clarification, the operator has the SS leaning forward in correctly and is not running full throttle.
Hard to blame the machine if the operator is clearly a weak point.

AND, in the TW vid, the operator certainly didn't know what he was doing and where's the table grate?? The SS had a table...

My TW3HD has pushed EVERY block I've set on it, right through the 4-way...without hesitation!

standard.jpg

I don't have to look the blocks over, read the wood or anything else, just set them on and away they go...

That block that put that SS to shame, I would have split that one in two pushes through my TW and had 10 or more, crotches through mine in the amount of time it took that SS to do one.

I split some tough wood and it all goes right through...

standard.jpg

I scrounged another wagon load today,

standard.jpg

So, the TW will be making short work of another load of oak, again S :) :) N

SR

Back