Timber Wolf Log Splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if you have given this any thought but you could buy the pieces for a splitter, and have a metal/welding shop throw it together for you, and save about 8 grand instead of buying a gold plated high dollar one. Then you also have the option of making it to suit your needs instead of the manufactures trying to suit everyone's needs. I am going to start making my own to upgrade from my 22ton swisher. Good machine but want more wedges. I bought an H beam for less than $100 and a used two way 5 inch or maybe bigger IDK cylinder from the tractor supply place less than $100 and no leaks. Realistically most things could be bought used or salvage like the metal, as it makes no difference, then buy new controls, pump, and engine. Just food for thought I guess.

I also would have normally split that piece with the Y of the crotch away from the wedge. I have no doubt it would have went through easier. I filmed it that way to show what would happen if you try to just put pieces in there without considering grain or character...

I don't know if I would own a kinetic if it was my only splitter, but if it was and I was only producing for my own home I'd just look for straight grained wood and be a bit more choosey with material I brought in.

I will film a run of splitting some 18" dbh spruce I cut down a few weeks ago. it was a yard tree, plenty of knots and character in it and post it up no matter the outcome...

That right there is the exact sort of honest appraisal and unbiased information from a not insecure flywheel splitter owner that many prospective buyers disappointed in the glossy, less than impartial marketing drivel of other flywheel splitter owners and sellers, have been desperate for. I salute you, Sir. Thank you. Those prospective buyers with their feet on solid ground and cognitive capacity above that of a newt will value your well rounded appraisal and no doubt look forward to your average 'character' tree wood splitting video.

For some, they just want to see these things racing through straight grained wood, because that's all they will ask of it. The net is overflowing like a blocked s-bend with such videos. Others just want to gain a firm understanding of the splitter weaknesses in 'character' wood, or ways users of flywheel splitters work with or around such pieces, because many people would consider the presence of such character 'average' for their situations. Without such appraisals like yours and a few more videos to balance out the straight grained 'production' run videos, it would often take an optimist not already weary from the deluge of marketing misinformation (or a $ back guarantee if they were so inclined) to take the leap of blind faith and buy one of these things for their needs. Soon, they won't have to leap, but can make balanced, fully informed decisions to buy one...or not.

Bring it on. And, again, thank you.

in a similar situation ... with only 10 cords per year... truth be known, most any quality splitter like Speeco would more than do the job.

don't get me wrong, if $$$ was not an issue, I'd go with TW-5 too. with such low volume, this is more of a want, rather than a need issue.

Hi all-

Im considering making a sizable purchase sometime in the near future. Im interested in buying new or used (If i can find one used and in good shape) Timber Wolf log splitter. Below are links for the two models im considering. Everything i have read on Timber Wolf says that the splitter they produce is top quality. I prefer to over buy on equipment and then not have to worry about its ability or reliability...So, all that being said, have any of you owned or used a Timber Wolf splitter? if so, what are your opinions on them? things you like? hated? or tell me about the splitter you have, and how it has treated you. Im planning on heating primarily with would and figure on needing 10 cords to do the job, and thats having a bit left over. Some of my neighbors have expressed the same interest, and i would have no problem helping them split wood so keep that in mind too. Thanks in advance for the replies.

TW-5: Log Splitters | Firewood Processors | Conveyors | Timberwolf Wood Processing Equipment
TW-7: Log Splitters | Firewood Processors | Conveyors | Timberwolf Wood Processing Equipment

Chipmonger,
I think thats a very heavy cash outlay for a small intended use. <20 cords. A good Tw5 or 7 should knock that out in about 30 hours if you're by your self. I have a SS and run a Tw6 for a friend quite often and can tow it to my house at will. If I were you i would let the wood you have access to decide what to buy. I would not purchase the TW w/o the log lift or work table, those options are not optional to me, they are absolute deal breakers. I haul the nasty knarly stuff to the Tw6 but anything under 36" gets whacked in the SS. I prefer to run the SS because its cheaper and faster to run for the Ash and cherry I mostly get. I walk away from the huge stuff because its just too much for me to handle w/o a tractor and the room to run it. money no object to me I would have both the Tw 6 and a SS ( and of course a nice Kubota to load them with).
Keep in mind with any splitter, reading the wood is critical, no matter what the tonnage, speed, HP or whatever metric you are comparing. the right operator will get the most out of a tool because the tool becomes an extension of his hands and eyes. If he has no clue how to read and split wood the best tool in the world will not teach him until he learns to listen and read the wood.

Latest posts

Back