Timberline Chain Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawjunky23

Just here for the free beer!
Reaction score
I was looking through the Baileys email today and saw that they had the Timberline Chainsaw Sharpeners marked down this month. I watched a couple YouTube videos on them and they seem like they work pretty good. Is anybody using them? Are they a gimmick or are they worth the $100 bucks. I have been using a file and guide to sharpen my chains and then grind them every so often or when I hit rock or metal. This thing seems like it might be a good way to get back to square one. Any feedback from people who are in the know and have actually used them?

They can get your top plate angle consistent, but I have had very inconsistent sharpening results. Sometimes near perfect and really sharp and sometimes too low or too high. Probably all due to operator error, but enough of a problem that I no longer carry it in my tool box.

To get back to square one use your grinder.

My two cents, Ron

I have one and it seems like a fine line between semi sharp and real sharp. It's critical you are lined up perfect. It wasn't for me but it is my buddies favorite in the field sharpening tool so it stays in my bin. Really well built though.

Junk!
Using a Stihl 2-1 guide, and love it. Easy to use, great results.
Edit: To expand on that... You have to spin the crank about five or six times per tooth, and go around the loop. Then reset it because it's not sharp yet, because in one position you can only take very little off. Go around your loop four or five time, and that's enough spinning the crank for me. I tried it for almost two weeks, sharpening once or twice per day. Done. Took way to long, and mixed results, and I sharpen way before a chain is 'dull'. If it is not pulling into the cut, time to stop and sharpen. Why work the saw and yourself more than you need to. Same with sharpening. Why work more than you need to at it.
A $100. is for the Timberline tool, then you need their sharpeners, or bits, for it, which are sized of course. They got their money and I got an education. That's how it goes...
Their jig sat on the shelf for a couple more weeks, and I mailed it off to someone on this site that wanted to try it for themselves. And I wanted it gone.

The cost (and life) of the bits convinced me without a purchase to continue with my Granberg and files. Looks nice and all, but not something I need to invest in.

Latest posts

Back