Timberwolf Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sawyer Rob

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sawyer Rob...any thoughts on the wedge lift option? I'm wondering if you thought you needed it

My dealer told me to try the splitter without that option, as it can be added later and most folks that bought it, come back and say they could have easily have lived without it.

The 4-way wedge is "reversible", (flip it 180*) and with it on the high side, there's enough distance under the 4-way to let smaller rounds just split in half, if the round is so big that it goes through the 4-way, the pieces that come out, are big enough for me. Raising the wedge even more, only makes them even bigger, and for me, they are already big enough.

For what that option cost, I'd just fab up a lever under the beam that you can push down with your foot, to hold the wedge where ever you want it. It would be easy to do...

I hope this helps...

SR

WoodTick007

WoodTick007

Addicted to ArboristSite
My dealer told me to try the splitter without that option, as it can be added later and most folks that bought it, come back and say they could have easily have lived without it.

The 4-way wedge is "reversible", (flip it 180*) and with it on the high side, there's enough distance under the 4-way to let smaller rounds just split in half, if the round is so big that it goes through the 4-way, the pieces that come out, are big enough for me. Raising the wedge even more, only makes them even bigger, and for me, they are already big enough.

For what that option cost, I'd just fab up a lever under the beam that you can push down with your foot, to hold the wedge where ever you want it. It would be easy to do...

I hope this helps...

SR
Something to think about would be to drill some 3/8 or 1/2" holes horizontally 2-3 inches across and 1.5-2" apart going up the back of the splitting wedge. That way you can raise the 4way up manually and slide some bolts or pins in the holes to hold the 4way up in that position. . . The 4way would rest ontop of the bolts....make sense? Poor mans adjustable wedge :)

Sawyer Rob

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just to do it, i've just lifted it with my hand before, I think you could use a wedge of wood to hold it there if you wanted. I just don't need bigger splits than I get with the wedge sitting on it's long side.

It would be very easy to make up something to hold it up higher as there's plenty of room behind it to fab something to do so...

SR

captjack

captjack

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
The nice thing about having the hydraulic wedge is when splits bottom splits get stuck under the wedge you pick the wedge up with the ram and clear the splits. It may sound trivial but it does speed things up when you fooling with the pesky splits the get stuck. The hydraulic wedge also allows for quick adjustment when splitting big rounds - I have both the six way and four way wedges and i will say with out a doubt we use the four way most of the time - unless we get that perfect size tree - then the six way rocks !

Sawyer Rob

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don't clear anything "stuck", with my hands, I throw another round on behind it and push it all on through. It's fast and works perfectly...

SR

Oliver1655

Oliver1655

Addicted to ArboristSite
If the horizontal wings of the wedge is beveled on the upper surface only, you shouldn't have a problem with the lower split getting stuck. Also his wedge is floating so it will raise up if needed automatically.

luckydozenfarm

luckydozenfarm

THE MAN OF STIHL
I split mainly large 24-30" white oak and red oak rounds. Hardly any crotches. I am mainly looking at this for the log lift and the six or four way wedge. I currently use a Speeco but the small wedge and no log lift is killing my back. Im with Rob on the wedge lift as Im hoping to load up a log and push the next one through kinda like a machine gun one after another..lol

Oliver1655

Oliver1655

Addicted to ArboristSite
Are you able to place the wood over the table before it hits the wedge? I have seen some splitters where the table didn't start until after it started splitting, that can make it a real pain.