timberwolf splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froghollar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well after being a guest of this site today Im a member.Went to the forestery show in Vermont last wk looking at show prices on splitters,timberwolf and built rite etc.They were giving there overpriced table grate for free.getting an inheritance soon figure I can shoot my wad at a tw5 and 361.Am I crazy? My landscape equipment, John Deere Zero turn etc isnt making money with the fuel prices where there at ,and the 133 frost free days in upstate ny favors a firewood business.How high can bulk log length wood go?Am I CRAZY???:dizzy

Well after being a guest of this site today Im a member.Went to the forestery show in Vermont last wk looking at show prices on splitters,timberwolf and built rite etc.They were giving there overpriced table grate for free.getting an inheritance soon figure I can shoot my wad at a tw5 and 361.Am I crazy? My landscape equipment, John Deere Zero turn etc isnt making money with the fuel prices where there at ,and the 133 frost free days in upstate ny favors a firewood business.How high can bulk log length wood go?Am I CRAZY???:dizzy

I have a TW6. It's a good splitter but costs an arm and a leg. There may be better ones out there but everyone bragged about a Timberwolf when I was looking, so I bought one. Haven't been sorry.

Worry less about your splitter and more about:

1. Availability of cheap or free wood
  2. How much it will cost to process it (count the gas it takes to go get it)
  3. How much wood you can move in X hours
  4. How much it will cost to deliver it
  5. How you will get customers

I wouldn't buy so much as a gas can until I had those answers, and I wouldn't spend top dollar on equipment to get started in a business I'd never been in before. Buy cheap, even used now, and get the good stuff once you know what you've gotten into. Sell the old stuff then.

YMMV.

We burn wood,we live in a mighty cold area, fuel prices going up with no end in site. My local saw mill buddy says he can provide wood at going rate $80 cord log length.Could'nt find wood last yr paid $225 last yr.Everyone burns wood.have truck and landscape trailer.Experenced with chain saw.Own our home. Need a job I can make $100 plus a day.firewood looks like the answer.Have a great location for summer campfire wood sales.probably 50 miles from timberwolf or bilt rite factories.50 yrs old but healthy.I have studied this site enough to know the basics.already getting orders.Next wk or so I will have the money.No debt,wife works and will help and hopefully make more money operating splitter with me.Cost of fuel going 60 miles round trip to work getting old fast for her.Country location with large yard.Neighbors cut and burn wood.Going to sell my zero turn to buy around 100 cords to start.Will have the money for splitter, saw no loans or debts involved in start up.Like working hard and for myself.Needless to say Im already sold on the idea and want production equipment tw5 361.Everyone on this site have already put me on the right track, thanks to one and all ,next wk there will be no turning back Im ready to go for it.

Worry less about your splitter and more about:

1. Availability of cheap or free wood
  2. How much it will cost to process it (count the gas it takes to go get it)
  3. How much wood you can move in X hours
  4. How much it will cost to deliver it
  5. How you will get customers

I wouldn't buy so much as a gas can until I had those answers, and I wouldn't spend top dollar on equipment to get started in a business I'd never been in before. Buy cheap, even used now, and get the good stuff once you know what you've gotten into. Sell the old stuff then.

YMMV.
Blueridge, you do know that taking your approach will not allow him to come to the horrible conclusion of "what the hell have I done" don't you?

Yeah, but it's okay, he's going for it anyway.

Didn't even slow him down.

Oh well, it's a free country. We're all free to do dumb things. I've done my share.

"Never test the depth of the water with both feet."

While I think Blue Ridge Mark's advice is worth considering seriously, I do commend your ambition and your willingness to work hard to make an honest $ for yourself and your family. So I truly wish you every success with your venture, and couldn't agree more that this is the right time to get into the firewood business.

One thing that you might want to consider, before you buy an MS361 (which I can personally attest is a great saw), is think about bucking several hundred cord of log lengths per year and maybe getting a 372XP or Dolmar 7900 or Stihl 440/441 as your first pro saw. You sound like you are young and strong so a little extra weight, particularly because you won't be lugging the saw around in the woods, will translate into more power and increased cutting speed to make you more productive.

a new TW-5 with log lift is $6k+ at my local dealer.

when starting up... you need to keep overhead to a min. there's a wood processor going out of business (due to health) close to you that had several older American splitters easily equal to TW-5 for under $2k.

he was using several husky 3120 to bust down huge logs (may still be available). how ever he specialized in busting down huge logs most would not handle.

your 361 choice is inadequate for a main saw.

thank you for your feedback one and all.I did ck out the 361 at the show,seemed plenty big to me??I threatened to go to the timberwolf plant at lunch break buying beer etc towards getting a better deal,no go.The bilt rite founder had sold out to brave who sold the design to timberwolf before he started the bilt rite design.??You know the saying no b#### no glory.If I owned a huskey I would out of envy,probably advise the same.I would rather think big enough ,then find myself kicking my own rear end for buying somthing with problems right from the start.durability, cycle time etc are not an option if Im doing this full time.The log lift would be a must have ,with this thought process.I plan on using it year round,doing maybe 100 cords / 300 face cords the first yr.Last yr without complaint I hand split 10 cords by hand in a couple days,easy splitting,dry ash.If I end up competing with huskey owners I will need professional equipment to make the grade.A prossesor would be great if I had a tractor to load logs etc and more money but I don't.Used equipment or spending 30 to 60 000 $ isn't going to cut it.I spent most of my time at the show talking to timberwolf owners,they supported my dream of making $100 plus a day with that equipment.Its a toss up between timberwolf and bilt rite price not being the issue.I live in the north country plenty of wood up here.After 10 or so years Ill have help and my commercial splitter will still not be obsolete.Anyone want to compare bilt rite with timberwolf Im all ears.

I got my Iron and Oak 30 ton for $2K delivered.Probably not as fast as a Timberwolf, but if your working by yourself (like I do), you'll be able to keep up with yourself! A 361 for a main saw is not going to cut it (no pun intended). A nice 372XP/Jonsered/Dolmar 7900 will get you into production, while keeping costs down. Buy what the local guy sells/sevices. You'll be back for chains and parts and little annoying stuff.

Thanks Charlie.I do have a dealer close by with dolmars and iron oak.Last saw was a husky no complaints.If the money dosnt flow right Ill have to downsize.I plan on having help to maximize production.Your the only one to not tout the 361 as gods saw .

froghollar, welcome to AS... don't be discounting used gear. especially commercial grade splitters or pro-saws in great condition, which are next to bombproof.

biggest problems with used commercial splitters is .... finding one. not breaking down, etc.

don't think you'd be thumbing your nose up at a used TW-5. but try to find one used...

believe me ANY startup needs to look at costs. even if you've got the funds to spend on a new TW-5. I'd still look for used commercial grade gear. don't be swallowing what salesmans feed ya... go with lowest cost equipment that will do the job.

don't scrimp on your gear... but do look for a deal. really surprised you are not jumping on the lead for commercial grade splitters close to you. size of your capital investment could make the difference between a successful operation and one that fails.

thanks,I have my eyes open for used equipment but havnt come across anything.anyone with leads please put me in touch with them or them me .Only interested in quality commercial equipment.tw5 tw6 or somthing else that can put the wood out.atleast able to handle a 4 way wedge with log lift etc.I look at it as in investment,how many cords in how much time to pay the $6000 plus investment.? not long with equipment that splits one or more cords an hour.One cord a day comes to sixty days for the splitter at $100 day.anyone interested in a new less than 30 hours john deere zero turn mower 48 in Im in upstate ny way upstate near Plattsburgh ny across the lake from Burlington vt. Thanks again for anyones imput.

tw5

well i do 70 cords a year and this is the last year ill be doing it. No time to keep up so splitter with log lift table grate and 6 way wedge along with a dump trailer and pickup truck all for sale message me if you are interested. but the 036 stays with me. Best of luck there is money to be made trust me i know and iam also willing to sell the website that goes with it and can change up the name. hit me up

I'd check out sloth's TW-5 and this link too
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=65350

thanks,I have my eyes open for used equipment but havnt come across anything.anyone with leads please put me in touch with them or them me .Only interested in quality commercial equipment.tw5 tw6 or somthing else that can put the wood out.atleast able to handle a 4 way wedge with log lift etc.I look at it as in investment,how many cords in how much time to pay the $6000 plus investment.? not long with equipment that splits one or more cords an hour.One cord a day comes to sixty days for the splitter at $100 day.anyone interested in a new less than 30 hours john deere zero turn mower 48 in Im in upstate ny way upstate near Plattsburgh ny across the lake from Burlington vt. Thanks again for anyones imput.

I do commend your ambition and your willingness to work hard to make an honest $ for yourself and your family. So I truly wish you every success with your venture, and couldn't agree more that this is the right time to get into the firewood business.

Agreed! But ambition and hard work aren't enough - you also have to be smart these days. A little homework up front can save a lot of grief and money, too.

I'd hate to hear a year from now that the inheritance is gone and there's another used Timberwolf for sale. :(

Yeah, but $10,000 or so for a quality splitter, quality saws, and some ancillary stuff, is quite a small investment for a small startup venture. Even if it does end up being too much for him, I'm sure he can at least make the money back in a short amount of time, then get out. Besides, it sounds like the wifey has a job and benefits, which is a BIG plus for the man. Not all men can be in his enviable position. Go for it.

We burn wood,we live in a mighty cold area, fuel prices going up with no end in site. My local saw mill buddy says he can provide wood at going rate $80 cord log length.Could'nt find wood last yr paid $225 last yr.Everyone burns wood.have truck and landscape trailer.Experenced with chain saw.Own our home. Need a job I can make $100 plus a day.firewood looks like the answer.Have a great location for summer campfire wood sales.probably 50 miles from timberwolf or bilt rite factories.50 yrs old but healthy.I have studied this site enough to know the basics.already getting orders.Next wk or so I will have the money.No debt,wife works and will help and hopefully make more money operating splitter with me.Cost of fuel going 60 miles round trip to work getting old fast for her.Country location with large yard.Neighbors cut and burn wood.Going to sell my zero turn to buy around 100 cords to start.Will have the money for splitter, saw no loans or debts involved in start up.Like working hard and for myself.Needless to say Im already sold on the idea and want production equipment tw5 361.Everyone on this site have already put me on the right track, thanks to one and all ,next wk there will be no turning back Im ready to go for it.

think of a skid steer and splitter on it at 50 your back wont last long. you cant buy direct from timberwolf as I work next to the plant ,they cost the same any place you go.

Ill do my best thats all anyone can do.But give me the equipment I need to be serious about it ,not homeowner quality stuff or 15 year old splitters that will need overhauling.Ill spend the money to make the money,also I always have irons in the fire and half my inlaws and outlaws burn wood.If you were looking for a good used splitter dont wait for mine Im going to take real good care of it and get every last dieing breath out of it.If your looking for a mower I can take care of you ps the mower was a $8500 investment I got for nothing more than a business plan and my smarts .Ill make it.

Latest posts

Back