Time For a Change

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootboy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I've been doing removals and pruning on and off on my own for about 2 years now. I'm looking to get a little more big league about this but I'm not sure where to start. I get to watching videos of the guys like Reg Coates who contract climb and make a good living in places like Vancouver. I find myself extremely jealous of the lifestyle that guys like that have. I enjoy my current job in healthcare and plan to continue part time on that route to keep my benefits (something that seems like your lucky to have any more). But I'd like to spend more time doing something I really like doing: working in trees. I am however not ISA certified, but I'd sure like to be.

My climbing skills are nothing spectacular but I can get around a tree safely. I've done a fair amount of rigging but nothing crazy. I've gained some valuable experience but I'm just not able to maintain a higher work volume. I'm also limited by my equipment. I can't afford the capital to invest in a full blown tree care setup. While I am a registered business and carry a liability policy for my work, I end up turning down a lot of work because of my lack of resources. I'm the most organized guy in the world, and I'm not a huge risk taker when it comes to finances and business. I'm just looking to up my game so I can get to do more of what I love while I'm young.

I'm not interested in responses from people who will just tell me that this line of work isn't for me, that it's hard, that it doesn't pay well, etc... I've done enough of this to realize what's involved, so spare me the reality checks.

I'm not looking to get shot down, so unless you have something positive to contribute, move on.

Your thoughts? I would even consider moving to another state for seasonal work if I needed.

I'm in UT so if anyone can give me more guidance I'd appreciate it.

You're far too green to cut it as a contract climber so put that thought out of your head. Only other option would be to get some equipment and get rolling. No need to quit your day job to do that. At least not until you have a strong client list. Buy a one ton and chipper and take on the jobs you can handle evenings and weekends, walk from those you can't.

What is your biggest hurdle on a day to day? Tackle that first. Is it materiel handling? Then do like Blakes said. But don't go and buy a brand new this or that. Equipment does not make you a rock star, the quality of work does. Is it skill? Then I would go after the CA and read up as much as you can. The more knowledge you have in ur brain the better and its much cheaper and way more important than equipment. Shigo, Harris, Dirr, etc, their books are on Amazon and are super cheap and will help you alot. Confidence? Experience is the only cure for that. If you have the skill, knowledge and confidence then you should be able to tackle any job, no matter your equipment as you can pretty much rent anything out there when ya need it.

I know I'm no Reg, I just mentioned him because he has been an inspiration to me. I know Ive got a ways to go before I can even think about contract climbing, but I'm a fast learner and ropes are second nature to me. I'd like to get there someday. I've rigged out 100' tall cottonwoods over decks, blocked down 100'+ pines and firs into tight spaces. I've taken my time to make sure I'm doing it right. I'm not into heroics and I've been known to climb down, take a good look at what I'm doing from different angles, and change my game plan. I eat up anything I can read about tree work, specifically rigging. I bend the ears of crews I see working locally and I sit and watch for hours.

I know that it may boil down to simply making a choice. Maybe I can't have my cake and eat it too. But at this point it would sure be hard to walk away from my fledgling retirement plan and my benefits at my hospital job.

At this point I do lack investment capital. I have a 1/2 ton truck, a 7'x12' dump trailer, a grundle of climbing and rigging gear, and a small family of saws, a reasonable head on my shoulders, intuition for the physics and a love of the work.

Getting a chipper would require me to sell my truck and get a 1 ton box that I'd have no place to park. I just feel like making the next move as far as expanding my own outfit would require me to go all out. I feel like each upgrade required the next to justify.

Would you recommend looking for part-time work with a local crew? I applied with one local outfit but the were staffed with unsavory characters that I wasn't particularly interested in working with. I guess I should start making more phone calls to try and find a local company that I get get good vibes from.

Thanks for your input.

I feel for ya. I'm in about the same boat and really wanting to pull the trigger on the full time gig. I'm set up pretty well. I own a 1 ton dump, chipper, grinder, bucket, climbing gear, dump trailer, skid steer, backhoe, and a couple of other trucks. I only owe about 6-8 thousand to the bank. I really enjoy this kind of work. I have grossed about 100k each of the last two years and it looks like I am going to turn a profit this year of about 30,000 bucks. Around here that's borderline able to make a living. My government job is good with the bennies, but sucks for the pay, the people suck and the work sucks. I think about how much id rather be out there working for myself every day. The only reason it hasn't happened is I am the bearer of the benefits for the wife and the five and nine year old. She has a possibility of getting a job here shortly with insurance so we'll see what happens. I'd say go for it you will never know if it works out or not if you never try.

intuition for the physics and a love of the work.
With that, you are ahead of the game. Probably would be a good idea to get on with another crew, a good one. Find the top, most arrogant guy ya can, beg him to let you join. The good outfits are real funny on who they bring in, don't wanna train your competition, believe me, I know. Convince him your legit and want to learn it the right way. I worked over my edumacatur for a few weeks before he got tired of me and showed on a job and said "grab your saddle" Don't ever say, "well, I do it this way" You will be shot off like a rocket. Listen and watch and be thankful someone is teaching you the way of the Jedi. Your techniques may work fine, but your there to learn the "tricks"

With that, you are ahead of the game. Probably would be a good idea to get on with another crew, a good one. Find the top, most arrogant guy ya can, beg him to let you join. The good outfits are real funny on who they bring in, don't wanna train your competition, believe me, I know. Convince him your legit and want to learn it the right way. I worked over my edumacatur for a few weeks before he got tired of me and showed on a job and said "grab your saddle" Don't ever say, "well, I do it this way" You will be shot off like a rocket. Listen and watch and be thankful someone is teaching you the way of the Jedi. Your techniques may work fine, but your there to learn the "tricks"

I like the sound of that.

By not saying "well, I do it this way" I assume you mean telling them that after they've told me how to do something right?

I'd like to be able to say to them first: " I've learned to do this this way, but is there a better way? Or a technique that you would use instead? If so, show me." By saying it that way, I'm able to show them that I have knowledge and experience and that I may already know how to do it, but that I'm also willing to learn a better way. Is that reasonable?

Its just so hard to find a balance between showing them that they don't have to babysit you and acting like you know it all, ya know?

I know that there is such a thing as paying your dues, i.e.: dragging brush and menial tasks but I feel there's a lot of guys who drag brush and wash trucks who have no ambition to ever climb or rig, to them it's just a job. That's not me.

Do I make it clear to any prospective employer/climbing mentor/Jedi that that's how I feel? I'd hate to come across as cocky and appearing to think I can just jump in midway up the ladder so to speak. Is it unreasonable for me to expect them to recognize the fact that I do come with some skill and experience? I'd like to able to articulate to them that I have ambition and that I'm there to be the best I can be. I just feel like its a fine line between coming across as some joker who is just fine doing sh*t work so long as I get a paycheck, and overstating my experience and coming across as cocky, ya know? I know that with any outfit you'll start at the bottom, but I'd like to approach it in such a way that will get me on a faster track toward being where I want to be.

I suppose that simply demonstrating that I have ambition to learn by constantly asking for guidance while also showing that I have a knack for it will expedite the whole process

Thanks for your help so far beans.

Any other tips?

Last edited:
Consider getting ISA Certified. Yeah, it is only a paper credential, but it can show a prospective tree co. that you seriously have your head in the game, and this is more than just a hobby or passing fad.

Consider getting ISA Certified. Yeah, it is only a paper credential, but it can show a prospective tree co. that you seriously have your head in the game, and this is more than just a hobby or passing fad.

I've heard some guys on here knock anybody who does the self study route for their CA.

The only formal program around here to get your CA is a year long, full time apprenticeship through a local university that comes with a handful of other superfluous certs. I simply don't have the time.

Will my CA be considered legit by a reputable outfit if I go the self study route?

I am a tree guy looking to get into health care ! I would rather deliver babies then have to freeze or fry my ass off behind a chipper or in a tree ! Wanna switch professions ! I would even shave and shower for a good inside profession .

Haha, I hear ya tree climber. I have a bachelors degree in business management and I run a tree service in my area. Somedays I wake up and theres 5 pieces of equipments broken and I go get covered in grease, dirt, and sawdust and wonder WTF Im doing ! Tree work isnt too bad, but I sure hate the 100+ days and the 12 degree days. Seems like the work gets cheaper and cheaper in the last few years but the cost keeps going up. Im sure you could easily find things to complain about with another job just the same... its a constant battle!

I don't know about that . My brother chose to be a nurseryman he decided to tell me that xs are tough for him .... He's only been hunting 3xs off his property this season because the deer are eating his stock . I laughed in his face . Am supposed to feel bad

"Any other tips"?

Yes: avoid coming at the boss and interfering his thought processes with anything that starts like "can I make a suggestion", or "what if we.." or "how about if we". Those kind are the absolute worst!!! Nothing wrong with wanting to learn, just don't be annoying about it!!

"Any other tips"?

Yes: avoid coming at the boss and interfering his thought processes with anything that starts like "can I make a suggestion", or "what if we.." or "how about if we". Those kind are the absolute worst!!! Nothing wrong with wanting to learn, just don't be annoying about it!!
I have something to add to that thought ! If he appears to be hung over just shut the **** up and say nothing . A single "trigger" word may constitute in immediate punishment

What if we just ?!? Say another word and I will throw a running chainsaw at your face ! I heard that once . Also heard if you don't help I am gonna tie the rope around your throat and let him cut his branch ! My favorite

What if we just ?!? Say another word and I will throw a running chainsaw at your face ! I heard that once . Also heard if you don't help I am gonna tie the rope around your throat and let him cut his branch ! My favorite

It is funny, but I'm serious too!! Nothing more annoying that trying to tell somebody what to do, and getting interrupted mid sentence with "do you want me to..". What I want you to do is shut the **** up, so I can tell your useless, greenhorn ass what to do!!! "Suggestion guys", is what I call em. Grr..

Will my CA be considered legit by a reputable outfit if I go the self study route?

If a pair of identical twins walked in, and I only had time to interview one of them, the one with the CA logo would get the nod. It may help you get a foot in the door, but that door will slam hard in yer beak if you can't demonstrate you are up to the work. Had a guy work for me once who had all the credentials, incl. a forestry tech. diploma, and he would sometimes pull off the most incredibly dumb fool stuff that cost me money. I'd come home all pissed off, and tell the wife: "I've gotta fire Andy". She would feel sorry for poor ole Andy, and sweet talk me into keeping him on. This went on and on all summer till work dried up in the late Fall, and he landed himself a high paying job with Hydro One. Where you can get away with doing stupid stuff, I guess, cause there is a Union to protect you. But I digress...

Latest posts

Back