TIME for a new saw? 357xp V 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richh

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Newbe here.
I’m looking to get a new saw maybe and found this great site, sooooo I thought I would run this up the local poll and see what kind of thoughts I get.
History;
I have a 262xp husky with a 20” and a 30” bar; use the 20” 99% of the time and a older 44 husky with a 16” bar.
I cut 30-50 cords of wood a yr. most of it firewood. This comes off 120 acres and I skid it out with a Kubota L 4610 and a Farmi cable winch. Skid out whole tree when I can into a clearing and buck them up and into the dump truck.
I use the 262 95% of the time, the saw runs great but it starts hard and it’s getting heavy. With the 20” bar, gas and oil it goes 18 lbs. Have been doing this to long and my arms are going bad on me tendentious (tennis elbow) in both of them.
So I though I would look for a lighter saw and see if there have been any improvements in the last 15 yrs.
The 262 is in good shape and cuts like a raped ape!!! But it starts hard and has NO compression release and did I say its heavy?
1. Do I can I put a compression release on the 262 and is it worth it put any $$ into this saw? This still leaves me with a heavy saw.
2. Been looking at a 357xp and 346xp, I like the wt on the 346 but will it have the power I need????
3. It looks like you can run 2 sizes of chain on the 346, dose the smaller chain mean that there’s less drag and it cuts faster uses less fuel more RPM ect???
4. I cut 99% hard wood
5. I have huskys for a long time and color matches my tractor but I would look at other flavors if there is somthing better out their.
Thanks Rich

the 346xp is way too small for your needs (i assume since you use 20" bar most time) , but it would make a fine limbing saw... But since you will be felling too, 357xp would be far better choice... shouldnt be that far from power of 262xp...

Unless your arms are giving up on you real bad I would not drop down that small, I think you will be furious trying to cut that much wood with that small of a saw. If you are not against buying a stihl I would recommend a 361 it is about 3 or 4 lbs less than your 18 lb saw and should have more power. The Husqvarna guys will be along soon and will probably set ya up with a 359 but I really think the 361 is perfect for what you are telling me.

I have to ask tho, 30 to 50 cords a year off a 120 acre plot, Im surprised there is a tree left on the place?

Well I had a Stihl back in the 70's and it was a good runner and we have a good dealer in town so I will stop down and get the pitch.
Ray, if you have a good wood lot you should get about 5 cord a yr off 10 or so acres, on top of what I have cut off here in the last 25 yrs. I have had a real logger in here 2xs and have removed over 1200 cords. And most people that visit just can't believe it, but I still haven't thinned out all of the trees that need to go.
Still allot of work to be done.
Ya gota remember that 120A is a strip 1/4 mile wide and 3/4 mile long, hell there's 3.5 miles of trails so far.
Thanks Rich

Maybe a carbkit and some new filters for the 262 !?
rings and piston ,,,
It's darn good saw miss mine ,,,,,,

Forgot to say, since you dont have to carry saws (you got tractor) you could buy the 346xp for limbing saw and leave 262xp for felling only...

id go with the 357 also.for that size its a nice saw.Also so is the 361

Rich,
I love my 346XPG's lightness for carrying around the woods and limbing, but today it didn't take but a cut or too bucking at my landing to put it down and grab the bigger saw.

Last edited:
yearly growth should be way more than he cuts yearly on that big plot....

Definitely. He ought to be able to pull 100 cords a year in perpituity if managed properly.

I use a 346 for firewood when I'm bucking under 10-12" diameter. Bigger than that I use the 372. Don't have any experience with the 359, but never liked the balance (or price) of the 357.

I feel like the 357 is one of the best all around saws I have ever used...Being a professional,I am rarely impressed anymore over any saw,as I have many,but I was dumb-founded by how much I found myself liking the 357....I have a 346,and it's a great saw,but for what you seem to want,I think you'll be pleased with the 57.......Pricey they are,but it is a pro grade saw designed to work.

Anything after that 262 will be a HUGE dissapointment to you! I had one, and miss it greatly, I got a 346 hoping it would fill the gap below my 046, it doesn't! I will discourage you any way I can from getting rid of the 262,there is nothing on the market like it for power to weight. The 346 should run simialerly to you're 44, just a little better. Would you replace the 262 with the44? I don't have anything bad to say about the other saws you are looking at, but it is well known that huskies weights are a bit off in th books, and to get the power you have come to expect, I think it will weigh more than where you are now.

I feel like the 357 is one of the best all around saws I have ever used...Being a professional,I am rarely impressed anymore over any saw,as I have many,but I was dumb-founded by how much I found myself liking the 357.
Got to agree with you-no saw out there really blows my socks off anymore. But i do like the 357's myself. They have become my main saw in the tree and i really have no serious complaints.

..... but it is well known that huskies weights are a bit off in th books, and to get the power you have come to expect, I think it will weigh more than where you are now.

That's a 3xx-series thing, the earlier and the few later ones is pretty much right on.....:givebeer: :givebeer:

Not all the 3xx-series models are off, either.....

That's a 3xx-series thing, the earlier and the few later ones is pretty much right on.....:givebeer: :givebeer:

Not all the 3xx-series models are off, either.....

I stand correted.

But I still wouldn't trade the 262 for much of anything on the market now.

I stand correted.

But I still wouldn't trade the 262 for much of anything on the market now.

I keep hearing all this hype about the 262xp. I Made a 262xp out of a 261 and I am not impressed at all... Actually very disappointed with it after all you guys making it out to be something it isn't. It feels heavier than my 365 and has less power. I think a 357xp is a much better choice, for saws on the market today....

Back