Time to buy a stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miko0618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been renting a stump grinder for the past few years. I believe its a super jr. Except for the fact that its a rental, I enjoy it. I have a budget of $8000.00. I see the super jr's going for around $5000. Whats a reasonable amout of hours? Any suggestions on machines?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Those $5000 Super Jr. are all going to be near junk condition. To get a grinder that is not flat worn out, you will need to spend every dime of that $8000 budget you have. Probably more.
The Kohler engines on the Super Jr. machines, are not really very good engines when used for stump grinding. On ZTR mowers, they can go well over 1000 hours, SOMETIMES. On a stump grinder, the 25HP and 27 HP Kohler engines can be pretty used up at 500 hours. A 1000 HR Kohler on a stump grinder, is usually pretty well done.
Yes there are always exceptions. However, I have owned and maintained a 1625 Super Jr., and owned a small engine shop, where I was an authorized Kohler sales and service center.
I would not recommend buying any Kohler-powered stump grinder with over 500 hours on it.
Jeff

Should I go towards $10,000?

Jeff. I am surprised to see you write that about Kohler engines. I guess you experience with them may exceeds mine but I could not disagree with you more and I have had a lot of experience.
In my experience with 25 hp Kohler's on Vermeer SC252's and other small grinders and chippers, it is a very durable engine that will last well over 1500 if tended to properaly. I have seen some replaced prematerily but those are usually rental units which don't get the best maintenance. I have seen engines go well over 2000 hours, even 3000.
I can not say the same for Honda 20 or 24 hp. I don't buy them anymore because I have had so many bad ones.
If I find a Kohler with only 500 hours on it I feel pretty confident buying the unit with starting it.
Having say all that, I have come across two Kohler's lately that had internal parts missing from the factory. That is kind of baffling. One was missing a lifter and governor pin. The rental company still put 100 hours on it despite running on just one cylinder. Very odd.
Miko, you should be able to find a good 25 hp grinder for $6000 to $8000. Keep it under 1000 hours and check the jack shaft bearings and disc bearings.
Everything on these machines are replaceable pretty reasonably, including the engines.

I am probably a little pessimistic about Kohlers, specifically on stump grinders, due to past experiences as a Kohler dealer. It seems to me that many of the cheaper, used, 1625's, come from rental fleets. We all know the hard life that rental units usually see.
I agree 100% about the Honda engines. I would not recommend any Honda engine larger than about 5HP.

Good to know

Are these gx390 really that worse too? Always expected they can go 2000-3000hrs depending on their environment?!

I started grinding stumps with a 1625 3 years ago. I think I'm ready for an upgrade, but I am very happy with my current machine.

I picked up a machine with 180 hours on it from a dealer that was servicing it because it was running rough. They thought bad gas, but it ended up being the cam shaft. I grabbed it for 6500 and was on my way. My very first paying job it **** the bed on me! Same issue as before with it running rough. Took it back to the mechanic who said it was a worn camshaft again. After only 5 hours of run time, there is no way that is the case. So sure enough after looking into it, they found a flaw in the block, probably from a factory defect which would explain why the original owner was never happy with it.

So, my baptism into owning my own business was going farther into the hole before making a single cent. I had the shop put a new short block on it which was 1000 cheaper than a new engine. Then I went to work.

First thing I did was get rid of the standard rayco teeth, absolute junk. Swapped those out for the 700 series green teeth. Then I bought a chainsaw to flush any stumps that weren't already flush to the ground.

Even though I was happy with the green teeth, I later upgraded to the greenwheel. I would totally recommend doing that. Since the upgrade, my machine runs so much smoother and bogs much less. I can only imagine the long term life of the motor was greatly improved by the greenwheel. The wheel's advantages are that the chips stay out of the work so the machine bogs less. Once you get in the groove of using the wheel (there was a 5 hour or so learning curve) you find that you take smaller bites, with each drop, but you're able to take longer bites each time. I would say I saw a 30-40 % decrease in grind time.

So far I can say I am happy with my motor as well. I baby it and do synthetic oil changes every 30-50 hours (it only takes 3qt's so it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside always having fresh oil.) It fires right up even in cold temps. Early on I had some issues. Starter went right away and I tried to replace it with a NAPA part, but after an month it went too so I replaced it with an OEM from kohler. Then I screwed up and stalled the engine pretty hard grinding a stump. After doing it I couldn't get the engine to fire up and stay running. Problem ended up being the stater and the magnets on the fly wheel. I guess the magnets are only glued on, so when the machine bounced up and down hard, the magnets came off.

Since that repair, I replaced a fuel line and broke the poly cog belt once. Also had to put a new muffler on it after the old one rusted and failed.

Sorry for the wall of text.

To sum it up, I am happy with my 1625. I think I would have upgraded sooner to a diesel if I didn't put the greenwheel on it. I am able to tackle some large stumps with the greenwheel. It is a great machine that can fit almost anywhere. It is perfect for 3' stumps and below, but I assure you it can handle the big stuff too. I recently ground a 5' in a little over an hour.

What I don't like is it is a little bit of a pain to adjust the belts. The final drive is adjusted by moving pillow blocks back, but that in turn throws the tension on the initial drive off. So in order to adjust one you really have to adjust both. Not a deal breaker, just a pain in the ass.

Any questions you have I would be happy to answer.

Same story here.. Bought my 1625 jr
with a new engine and new hydraulic hoses.. It was great the first year, beter than the 252 from the rental center. Next season i had to put $3000 into it...

Let me see, the clutch went out and we realized the bearings were gone with jack shaft. Since it was opened up i decided to bite the bullet and get the green wheel at the same time along with another set of bearings for wheel and the 2 coller/bushing for jack shaft or whatever it came from and $380 on labor bringing me a nice $2900 bill!

I'm not committed to the super jr. That was just one that came by in my budget. I have about a month to find one. Is there any place that stocks used ones. I'm from PA but would travel pretty far to get one.

Try checking with Global Equipment Exporters, near Atlanta,Ga. A guy from there posts in this forum quite a bit, and I believe they often have used grinders. I have heard they are good honest guys to deal with.
Jeff

I guess it is all a learning curve.

I have my maintenance down now. Like I said, regular oil changes. They cost no more than 20 bucks, and take all of 15 min to do.

I grease the pillow blocks pretty much every hour.

I check the belts pretty regularly as well. I never leave the house with out my 18 volt impact gun, that makes quick work of taking off the covers to check everything out.

I treat her like the princess she is, and she keeps putting out.

Try checking with Global Equipment Exporters, near Atlanta,Ga. A guy from there posts in this forum quite a bit, and I believe they often have used grinders. I have heard they are good honest guys to deal with.
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I appreciate the compliments.

At this time, we only have some Rayco Super 50's and Carlton SP7015TRX's available. If you're interested, please call the number below.

Thanks,

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

It has 686 hours at the time of the pic. $8000. Too many hours?

81a45dca1387d86d9cda796398eea46d.jpg

Latest posts

Back