Time to replace bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HickoryRidge

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just picked up this saw and I’m looking for advice about whether it needs a new bar yet or maybe I can cut a bit more before it’s time? I tried to get pictures of the damage along the nose which may be replaceable? I don’t think there’s much of a burr along the rest of the bar but the nose definitely needs to get hit with a file.FCACB671-151D-4623-AB7B-0D776DC8464A.jpeg3699C23E-EB16-4A3E-90EF-68E9BBD97F17.jpeg1EA9A725-A9E4-45F2-9281-2C4C09B97F32.jpeg6F4CCEA9-03C3-469F-BB33-1FDC4C1E5F6C.jpeg

At the very least- the chain needs reversed to the correct orientation- the sprocket tip is poked and needs replaced- the bar needs at the very least dressed- but in reality seeing as how that looks to be a new chain, go buy a new bar and a new drive sprocket.

I filed the burrs away and put the chain on the right way. I wiggled it back and forth, and almost no play at all. I think I had the chain tightened just right although the tension screw felt like it was a little hard to turn and then easy to turn at times rather than steady pressure. I cut a 20 inch hickory log, and the chain was loose after the cut. Readjusted the tension and cut another 20 inch hickory log and the chain was loose after the cut. It may be a new chain, but would it stretch out a lot after just one cut or do I may be have a bad tensioner? Or would the bar being in bad shape at the nose cause that? The grooves on the bar look pretty uniform, and I didn’t see any bend.

Is the saw upside down? Or chain on backwards?

Tip is spent. Might be able to save bar with new tip, but can't tell from lack of pictures.

How is the rim/drive sprocket?
I filed the burrs away and put the chain on the right way. I wiggled it back and forth, and almost no play at all. I think I had the chain tightened just right although the tension screw felt like it was a little hard to turn and then easy to turn at times rather than steady pressure. I cut a 20 inch hickory log, and the chain was loose after the cut. Readjusted the tension and cut another 20 inch hickory log and the chain was loose after the cut. It may be a new chain, but would it stretch out a lot after just one cut or do I may be have a bad tensioner? Or would the bar being in bad shape at the nose cause that? The grooves on the bar look pretty uniform, and I didn’t see any bend.

New chain with worn sprockets (bar/drive) will "stretch/wear" a brand new chain quickly. Post a picture of the rim.

Is the saw upside down? Or chain on backwards?

Tip is spent. Might be able to save bar with new tip, but can't tell from lack of pictures.

How is the rim/drive sprocket?

New chain with worn sprockets (bar/drive) will "stretch/wear" a brand new chain quickly. Post a picture of the rim.
I agree with this post.

As far as the chain being on backwards, maybe he is below the equator?

The pictures of the bar nose 0588C77D-8308-4BD9-A9BE-517EF6E87678.jpeg2A1908F0-0FE8-4049-968A-FC9A6C8BD201.jpeg528F0384-2D81-425F-B8A0-E2FDB641EE4C.jpegare just when I flipped it originally without taking the chain off, but I did install the chain the right direction before cutting. Here are pictures of the sprocket.

I stick by post #2 at this stage- the drive spur is pretty toasted as well- which was to be expected with the condition of the bar nose sprocket and also picked up in post #9 and of course agreed with in post #10 because Harv is always pretty good at picking up on the fact if one is gone the other aint perfect no more.

Saw possibly has a good air leak around the PTO seal as well- just guessing off the black coloured much around the case to clutch bell void- but that might have been used engine oil bar lube that helped mush up the bar tip sprocket with a real loose mangled up chain.

Agree with all the comments. The previous owner rode it hard!

If it was my saw that I just picked up... I would buy a new bar and sprocket to go with the new chain. Then would go through the saw for condition and maintance for anything else that needs to be cleaned, lubed or replaced to make it a trust worthy saw for hours of operation. Of course that is just me...

Agree with all the comments. The previous owner rode it hard!

If it was my saw that I just picked up... I would buy a new bar and sprocket to go with the new chain. Then would go through the saw for condition and maintance for anything else that needs to be cleaned, lubed or replaced to make it a trust worthy saw for hours of operation. Of course that is just me...

Of course that is just me..

Then I wish more people were like "me" :lol:

You are one of "those" below the equator??

Do you drive on the wrong side of the road as well?

By "me" I meant him- but yeah we drive on the other side and if I go to get in the passenger side of a motor vehicle over there where you live- there is a danged steering wheel in the road!

Back