Time to tune up the saws...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm thinking tonight, maybe tomorrow morning while it's cool in the garage before I need to work in the home office it would be a good time to sharpen the chains and tune up the saws.

I'm not sure why I suddenly have the itch to get it done...

earl_8-29-10-a.gif

guess I better finish splitting my wood and get the splitter back in the garage before Friday! Was going to put the saws away today..... but maybe I'll wait 'til next week.

Be safe, NOAA had Danielle headed straight to NC in the earlier maps, hope she turns east and goes further out to sea.

Could seriously put a damper on the first couple days of the Woodstock Fair. Hopefully all the tents don't blow away!

Last edited:
Looking at that Stormpulse model, I won't be affected by it as it's too far east.

I wish the others that ARE going to get hit the best of luck in not getting any damage!

Could seriously put a damper on the first couple days of the Woodstock Fair. Hopefully all the tents don't blow away!

I hope that does not happen...I used to live there too on Bungee Lake and went to the fair every year, haven't been in 5 years now.

OTOH....some of you may make out good with some free wood.

When hurricane Gloria rolled through we lost power for over 3 weeks out there in Woodstock, good times we're had cooking over the fireplace.

Supper news says strong Cat1, weak Cat2 for Nova Scotia, and it's supposed to hit my backyard (South Shore). starting to get worried as Juan was a Cat2 with significant damage. Also, there's another one forming right behind Earl, and they predict it's going to follow Earl's path...

Looking at that Stormpulse model, I won't be affected by it as it's too far east.

I wish the others that ARE going to get hit the best of luck in not getting any damage!

Last edited:
Based on that storm pulse site my plans for the weekend just changed... Guess I will be dragging out the generator and some gas cans. Saws are all ready with extra chains freshly ground. Might get a little sporty again... Already had some Tornados this summer.

Sharpened up three chains today before the heat arrived -- nice relaxing morning listening to the local AM call-in show. I haven't hand sharpened in about 20 years because I always used to screw it up...I think these came out OK, not great, but sure a lot better then they were, and at least 2 of the 3 cut straight doing test cookies (see, there's a reason I hadn't cut up that tree that fell in the yard yet!)...the 3rd, not so sure about that one but it was a real mess to begin with.

Went to the Stihl dealer, drooled over the Mahindra 3535 some more, got a jug of bar oil, a replacement O ring for the gas cap on my 024AVS, and exchanged a 20" 3/8" 72 link .058" chain for a 20" 3/8" 72 link .050" they gave me last fall...not my mistake, I brought the saw with me :D They grabbed the wrong package leaving me to try and figure out why the chain felt way too snug...

As for the storm, the race is on:

In this corner, clocking in at a Category 3 flirting with going back up to Category 5 we have Earl currently at 25.7N 72.7W, getting ready to make it's northward run -- the usual starting gate being 30N 75W.

Figure it's going to take about 27 hours to reach that point, and once it starts the run it'll be in the New England vicinity in 24 hours.

In the other corner we have a cold front extending from Michigan to Oklahoma.

36250099.jpg

It's all about timing now. If that front is just six hours slower then expected, we'll take a direct hit in my area.

Latest posts

Back