TIP failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keh10

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So earlier today I had my first real scare when my TIP abruptly failed in a sugar maple. Fortunately it happened when I was testing my weight on it before I began my ascent. I was barely a foot off of the ground when I heard the crack, yelled oh ####, and scrabbled backwards as fast as I could. All in all I was very lucky, the limb (which was no little guy) landed about 8 feet away from where I managed to flee. It landed in the middle of a flower garden, but thankfully missed the house, deck chairs/table, and out of the many trinkets, doodads, and shrubbery in the garden only broke a few of those cheap solar lights. It even didn't damage a $70 automatic sprinkler system which it landed right on top of.

When I first looked at the job on Tuesday, I was pretty certain that the limb would make a solid tie in. It was a 4 in diameter limb with a lot of leafy growth on it. I knew from the start that the limb wasn't 100% because of the moss/fungus growing on the bark and there was also some noticeable decay in there, but nothing that would leave me to believe that the branch couldn't support my weight. Besides, I've used TIP's that had far more noticeable defects. The problem was that unbeknownst to me where the branch attached to the main trunk was included and the vast majority of the heartwood had rotted.

When I was first setting up my line I had a few clues that something wasn't right. First when I shot my throw line into the tree, it caught a small branch above where I wanted my rope to rest. I said screw it and went ahead and pulled my climbing line through. I was about to start whipping my line around to get it off of the small limb when the limb broke after I applied a little pressure to it and my line fell into place where I originally intended it to go. I was surprised at how easily the small branch broke, but I just took it as good fortune that I managed to place my rope without too much fuss. My second clue was when I was just pulling on the line before my saddle was even on. It seemed to have a little to much give to it, but I figured it was nothing and that I was just psyching myself out before the climb. I knew that the branch was plenty large that it should have held my weight and that's why I was actually quite surprised to see it fail even though I knew in the back of my mind that something wasn't right.

All in all, I'm very thankful that I wasn't hurt and no real property was damaged. If a branch is going to fail, better that it happen while you're on the ground. Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them. I feel like it's no too common that we get fooled into trusting a weak branch. I know from now on I'm going to take more caution when choosing my TIP's even when they seem large enough that my weight won't make much difference.

photo011g.jpg

Here's a picture of the tree after the branch fell. Where I made the red circle is where the failure took place.

photo012ul.jpg

dsc00480g.jpg

Here's where the bark had included and allowed the branch to rot. I was able to find these two pieces and stick them back together. I think I'm going to keep them for a while as a reminder.

photo010ow.jpg

I should have taken more pictures of the leafy top of the branch. From the ground it looked like any other moderately healthy branch.

Stay safe out there!

Why didnt you use that crotch that was about a foot down and to the right of the red circle? it looks like a much bigger / better crotch IMO.

Holy crap balls man! You were very lucky it didn't nail you for sure when it came down! Were you just deadwooding/pruning that up? Or were you going for the full removal? Thanks for sharing

Why didnt you use that crotch that was about a foot down and to the right of the red circle? it looks like a much bigger / better crotch IMO.

I could have, but that limb was pointing away from the area I needed to work and I wanted a closer tie in.

Holy crap balls man! You were very lucky it didn't nail you for sure when it came down! Were you just deadwooding/pruning that up? Or were you going for the full removal? Thanks for sharing

Yeah, I got really lucky. It fell away from where I landed. I was just doing some deadwooding. Maybe 5 or 6 branches.

The guys that just want to jump in a tree without any experiance and start a business need to see this and know nothing is ever routine.

photo010ow.jpg

Thats why other climbers are always asking me to get my fat ass on their rope and pull a few times before they climb.

That happened to me once but i was 3/4 (about 40ft) up the tree and lucklymy line fell into the crotch just below the one that broke so i only dropped a few feet so i just sat there in my saddle for a few minutes and thanked my lucky stars and went back to work.

That stuff happens. When in doubt, don't isolate your line to just one limb until you have thrusted on it a few times and are close enough to inspect it.

Glad you're safe and that it happened close to the ground.

This reminds me of a time this last winter when i was ice climbing, as i was rappelling down the climb the rope slipped over an ice ridge and caused me to fall about 4-5 ft before the rope came tight, no big deal, but i remember as soon as i felt the pop and slack in the rope thinking oh **** my anchor just blew and i'm going to die

That stuff happens. When in doubt, don't isolate your line to just one limb until you have thrusted on it a few times and are close enough to inspect it.

Yeah, if possible I like to set my line in a SOLID (and easier to hit) crotch then pick just the right TIP once I'm up there and can inspect. Also, like these guys are saying think what will happen if TIP fails, will I fall 5 feet or 55 feet?
This is the main reason I use friction savers for this type of climbing because I can set my line "safer" but would be a PITA amount of friction thru natural crotch.

In the pics, that looks like a solid TIP, glad you tested it out!

I hate when I have my line set good but it is just pushing against a dead branch etc and the whole ascent I am waiting for branch to snap.

Last edited:
The guys that just want to jump in a tree without any experiance and start a business need to see this and know nothing is ever routine.

But this never would have happened to them, because how would they have gotten their line all the way up there in the first place?

This sounds like it probably would have been a ladder and spikes affair. :bang:

Back