Tip for the day:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmermike

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Always and I mean always make sure the truck is far enough away from the tree before cutting it down! It took me about a half hour to get the fender pride away enough to get the hood to open. Thank God that no glass got broken. I've been cutting wood for almost twenty years and never had this happen before. Tree twisted and rolled as it went down. Good thing it wasn't the good truck.

Always and I mean always make sure the truck is far enough away from the tree before cutting it down! It took me about a half hour to get the fender pride away enough to get the hood to open. Thank God that no glass got broken. I've been cutting wood for almost twenty years and never had this happen before. Tree twisted and rolled as it went down. Good thing it wasn't the good truck.

Yikes! I always try to park at least a couple tree lengths away... If not more.

Glad you're okay!

Got pictures?

I hear ya there...sorry about your truck. I had a near miss w/ my ATV, I now park much further away than I used to.

Yikes! I always try to park at least a couple tree lengths away... If not more.

Glad you're okay!

Got pictures?

Got pictures? Says the guy with a movie in his sig. :greenchainsaw:

Well, at least its only sheetmetal, and the tree didn't come at you, or drop a dead limb from above while you made your back-cut.

NIce to hear you was'nt hurt. I have a friend that was cutting a tree down by a road and of all things the tree fell toward the road right on top of a passing car.:dizzy: No one was hurt either.

I had a close call this past fall, Amazing what we risk to save 22 steps eh? I know park the truck Waaaaay back.

NOW I always close the door before moving the truck!

I have a 85 Dodge one ton that I use to push snow and haul wood.

I was cutting in a few different places. My thought was..... "work smarter not harder". I should back the truck up to the wood. Make sence....right? Well..being an older truck on which I haven't touched the carb.. yet. The engine was loading up..so my focus was on that and backing up. My focus wasn't on the 4" tree that my open drivers door tried to push over....guess what won? I was really bumbed! I thought....another expense that we don't need.

A picture paints a thousand words.....

attachment.php

Fortunately I have a friend who owns a metal fab shop. I brought the truck over just about closing time. The guys looked at the door and right away said "go get another door from the bone yard" I said...that would be great but I don't have the cash for that right now. I asked one of my buds who works there if he would help me pull the door out enough so I could use it again. He agreed and we put a heavy duty come-a-long on it with a strap wrapped around the door where the tree made contact. I wrapped the strap to distribute the force so I wouldn't pull the door into a triangle. We put the other end of the come-a-long to the back of the truck hooked to a stake pocket. We put a block in the door to keep it open approximately 20" and then another block under the come-a-long chain so the force will be pulling up as well as out.

I now can use the door and unless you know where to look one can't tell it had a fight with a tree. And.....NOW I always close the door before moving the truck!

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!

Dan

It's not always the tree hitting the truck......sometimes the truck hits the trees. Wed. when Dad and I were cutting wood, he was backing out off the trail and seemed to not see the 8" oak out the corner of his eye. He came back down and said I owe you a marker light for your truck????????? I went back up to get gas later and told him it's a good thing he isn't the one writing estimates for the body shop. :) The headlight and turn signal still work. Nothing a little duct tape and bailing wire won't make right. Good thing it was my old truck so it really doesn't make a difference.

dadoops.jpg

Last edited:
not a tree hitting a truck, the guy i cut with has no license so i drive, i have a 85 dodge, lifted with 44" tall boggers work excellent in the deep snow. any way's it's a stick he wanted to light a smoke, no lighter to be found between the two of us. i was sitting on the tailgate and he went into the cab for the lighter in the ashtray turned the key forward truck started, was in reverse with no clutch switch, backed over my 670 hence my ad on the trading post for a new wrap handle. glad it was a full wrap otherwise saw wood have taken major damage, replaced the brake handle and bar put the 630 handle on it till i find a wrap for the 670, just look's dorky with the regular handle on it. lol live and learn i guess. he gave me $100.00 for the damage, didn't wanna take it but he insisted. just hope to find a handle soon.

no clutch switch, backed over my 670
he gave me $100.00 for the damage, didn't wanna take it but he insisted.

Take the 100.00$$ , buy a clutch switch install it , then take 100.00$$ out of your pocket and give it to him , it wont be the same $$ he gave you (It's your truck and the switch should be in the circuit ). It would have sucked to be bounced off the tailgate and have been driven over by your own truck :cry: .

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back