Tip smoking...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutter44752

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I recently used a needle-nose grease gun (if that's what it's called) to put some of that blue axle grease into the tip of my 18" Echo....after cutting for a while the last two days the tip has started to smoke and there is a burned-out pattern in the metallic circle at the end on both sides (picture attached).

What's going on here? I've never noticed this before, the chain gets looser than it usually does but I made sure it wasn't too tight or too loose, maybe it's just getting dull (but I've never seen this happen before and I've used the blue grease from time to time in the past).

One thing I've noticed, my saw used to use bar oil and gasoline in similar quantities, just recently I'll run out of gas but still have half a tank of bar oil left...maybe the hole is clogged and the chain is overheating because it's underlubricated? (but why only at the end)

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• chainsawtip.JPG
    chainsawtip.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 97
You see this alot on laminated bars where its 2 plates riveted together, they spread at the tip, chain rides down between them and eats the sprocket. Doubt greasing had anything to do with it.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Grease could be a coincidence but that bar was toast for a while. As the chain goes around the sprocket, the sprocket should be supporting the chain and it not riding on the rails as it goes around. Here is a pic from I think an Oregon article but it showed my point.
88a4eeb599c7eb5c313030373a1884be.jpg

As far as the oil tank not running out at the same time as gas, that’s a compound but separate issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brother your bar is smoked...probably took out the chain too. Is your oiler working?

That's why I mentioned it wasn't using as much oil as it normally does, maybe some kind of clog there? Will see if there's a way to clear it myself and run it again, but it sounds like I need a new bar either way?

That's why I mentioned it wasn't using as much oil as it normally does, maybe some kind of clog there? Will see if there's a way to clear it myself and run it again, but it sounds like I need a new bar either way?
Yeah that bar is beyond done

Yeah your bar is done. I've seen them do that from the tip getting pinched or bent a little. Sometimes they'll start to open up a little which lets the chain run against one side or get between the sprocket and the side of the bar. If it's not oiling it probably just burned it out though. There should be a filter inside the oil tank kinda like the fuel filter in the fuel tank. On the end of a line. Might take it off and clean it. While the oil tank is empty spray carb cleaner in the oil tank and clean it out. On the right side under the clutch cover is the brake drum. Under it is usually a small plastic nylon gear. They can get stripped out and it will quit oiling. Depends on what your saw is though. Take the bar and chain off and start it up and rev it up a little. Not wide open. See it there's any chain oil coming out of the side where the oil slot is. If there's not it's your oiler. If there is then it's your bar. There's a small hole in the bar that lines up with the oil slot in the saw. They'll stop up and oil and oil will leak out between the saw and bar. Normally you would take a small screwdriver or nail and clean out the bar rails and oil hole. You'll need a new bar which will eliminate that step.

Another indication the bar is Junk...... see how the sprocket tip pin is starting to recess into the bar. Its wore out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you do regular bar maintenance where you clean all the crud out of the bar grove and make sure the oiler hole in the base of the bar is clean? Since its using less oil but still SOME oil, the pump is probably working (easy to check as mentioned above) but the oil route to the bar is plugged and the oiler just cannot deliver.

Do you do regular bar maintenance where you clean all the crud out of the bar grove and make sure the oiler hole in the base of the bar is clean? Since its using less oil but still SOME oil, the pump is probably working (easy to check as mentioned above) but the oil route to the bar is plugged and the oiler just cannot deliver.

I actually just lost that little stamped metal thingie to scrape out the bar, so no...

Back