Tipping Rootballs from Blowdowns Back into Stump Hole

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windsurferk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have several blowdowns that have already been cut off close (< 6 ft.) to the stump. Unfortunately, they didn't rock back into the hole and I'm left with several unsightly root balls sticking up into the air.

I'm wondering if there is an effective way to get the root balls to tip back upright and settle into the hole.

The terrain is sloped and the trees are generally laying across the hillside. The trunks range from 16-32" in diameter.

Working around root balls can be extremely dangerous and has resulted in more than one death. Many times they will pop back on their own (often unexpectedly) when the trunk is cut and tension released. I would suggest using a front end loader or backhoe to nudge them over. Under no circumstances do you want to be on the downhill side as they are pushed back over. Use extreme care to be sure there are no people or animals in the area when you perform the work.

The stumps are already removed, why put em back? I've power washed or just beat the dirt off upturned footballs and then just hauled em away:)

Messy, yeah, a little. Not too time consuming though. I'd beat most of it off with a pick or an adze, then get the nooks and crannies with the water.

Depends on the soil type as well.
Clay = sucks.
Sandy = piece of cake.

I really have too many stumps to easily haul away especially given the steep terrain -- we had about 2 dozen large oaks go down around our house (including one through our house) in the derecho this summer. I'm also a bit nervous about climbing around on and beating on some of the larger balls -- in fear that they might suddenly settle back.

Use a tow strap around them and connect it to a long rope and use a come a long, that way you are far away when they flop back in.

Mulching machine. I know it costs $$ to have someone do it. But then the ground is useable and you won't have a hole growing as the rest rots. The one we had come out was a huge Tiger-Cat monster of a piece of equipment. The kids liked watching it from a distance of course.

Latest posts

Back