Tips for a new climber/ business owner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess. I just read a multitude of these posts.. you've never got anything positive to say. You suck. Straight up. **** attitude. Plus, you ain't all you crack yourself up to be, I'd bet.

I guess. I just read a multitude of these posts.. you've never got anything positive to say. You suck. Straight up. **** attitude. Plus, you ain't all you crack yourself up to be, I'd bet.
Well feller; I don't crack my self up to be anything. I'm not sure your thinking is correct. I haven't seen you post too many positive posts yourself bucko.

All I can say is your climbing will get better with experience. As far as equipment goes, a chip truck and chipper are so much better than stacking on a trailer. I know from experience. A mini skid after that.

Rope has been in this business almost as long as I've been alive so any advice he offers is sound. His advise about hiring a contract climber is great. You can learn a lot from someone who is at a level where the good ones are. I was self taught working for a tree service and was top dog. The problem was I had no one to teach me anything after my first six months and his main climber quit. Keep learning from anyone you can. The tree forums are great but nothing beats actually seeing it done up close.

All I can say is your climbing will get better with experience. As far as equipment goes, a chip truck and chipper are so much better than stacking on a trailer. I know from experience. A mini skid after that.

Rope has been in this business almost as long as I've been alive so any advice he offers is sound. His advise about hiring a contract climber is great. You can learn a lot from someone who is at a level where the good ones are. I was self taught working for a tree service and was top dog. The problem was I had no one to teach me anything after my first six months and his main climber quit. Keep learning from anyone you can. The tree forums are great but nothing beats actually seeing it done up close.
My best advice was the book I mentioned. If you or anyone really wants to get a leg up it will be through constant learning. arboriculture integrated management of landscape trees, shrubs, and vines richard w harris james r clark nelda p matheny is a great way to advance learning. I started too late in life and was content just climbing etc. The best advice I can put forth to young climbers is to read that book and others, as there will be a time that youthful ideals are plagued by an aging body! Knowledge can prepare you for things later in your arborist career.

Oh and never stop learning or you'll end up a crusty old **** :laughing:

Oops. Sorry. Kinda lost track of things reading the interruption. I will agree though. Knowledge is power.
I found through much of my reading, many things I done prior were incorrect but many were also correct practice! I read now to attempt to repay my dues to the trees I mutilated for electricity in the 80s:surprised3: . It really doesn't matter the motive of why we seek to learn, it only matters we do.

Back