Tips for felling trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarolar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am fixing to build a new shop from trees felled off my property. The pad will be poured next week if all goes well and soon I need to start dropping trees. I have a 1/4 acre of mature pines on the front of my place and I am looking for tips on felling these trees without damaging them when that drop and getting maximum lumber. I've cut down plenty of trees but always for firewood.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

These will get you started. There is also the USDA Chain Saw and Crosscut Saw Training Course but the PDF is too large to attach here.

Also a good series on YouTube by WorksafeBC: BC Faller Training Standard (17 parts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Aktms_4Pg
Make a list of what lumber/timbers you will need and select the trees for your needs in advance before you buck them up. If you have not milled before it would be good to watch an experienced sawyer to see how to go about opening up a log to get the best lumber out of each log.

Also check local/state regs for using you own lumber, some may want it grade stamped. Building inspectors can be helpful or a PITA.

Attachments

• wimlc_tree_felling_techniques_manual.pdf
    631.9 KB · Views: 8
  • WCB fallers_buckers.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
Back