Tired Stihl 026 needs help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juniormarbles

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Today I got the news from my Stihl shop: after 22 years, my 026 is tired, and has lost compression (no other problems, according to the man.)

I am up for a DIY project and consider replacing the cylinder and piston, hoping that it will run again like new.

Four questions for the esteemed DIY's among you:

1. Should I go with an OEM Stihl piston & cylinder set, or one of the much cheaper after-market offerings?

2. Some sellers offer an additional 'decompression valve'. I have NO idea what that does, and have no mechanism to activate one on my 20+ year old 026. Do I need to install that valve?

3. Having rebuild my 2-stroke motorcycle engines a few times as a kid, will I have enough skills to complete this DIY project, or will I need specialized tools?

4. Aside of the piston, piston rings, cylinder, sleeve bearing and mounting clips, what else do I need? Two gaskets, I presume? (An exploded drawing of the components or even a service manual would help.)

Thanks in advance for your advice!

JM

Last edited:
You may be able to use the old cylinder, with just a light honing. The 026 is easy to work on, as are the pro Stihls. Plenty of threads on rebuilds can be found using the search function.

I would definitely go OEM. If you need a cylinder too, AS member bcorradi has the P/C kits for about 85.00, and he is a swell guy to deal with.

Take your time, and don't be shy about asking questions. Good luck!

1. Should I go with an OEM Stihl piston & cylinder set, or one of the much cheaper after-market offerings?

2. Some sellers offer an additional 'decompression valve'. I have NO idea what that does, and have no mechanism to activate one on my 20+ year old 026. Do I need to install that valve?

3. Having rebuild my 2-stroke motorcycle engines a few times as a kid, will I have enough skills to complete this DIY project, or will I need specialized tools?

4. Aside of the piston, piston rings, cylinder, sleeve bearing and mounting clips, what else do I need? Two gaskets, I presume? (An exploded drawing of the components or even a service manual would help.)

1) If you don't want to spring for an OEM kit, then if you wait you'll probably find one on eBay or similar. I did this for my 460 rebuild, and got a Mahle kit for about 1/2 of the dealer price. If you go for pattern parts, get them from Baileys or similar outfits who are willing to stand behind the parts.

2) You don't need a decomp on an 026, but if the kit comes with the hole for one, then you'll need a way of blocking it off.

3) You don't need any special tools. A T27 Torx driver will get pretty much everything apart, have a look at the "His 'n Hers rebuild thread - FAIL" for advice on how to get the piston circlips in - these are fiddly.

4) You'll need a base gasket for the cylinder, and that's about it. Make sure that the saw holds pressure - did the old piston fail because it is worn, or did it fail mainly on the exhaust facing side? If the latter, then it may well be an air leak - check all of the rubber bits and ideally get the saw pressure tested before running it. If it is a leak...then you will just wreck the new piston in short order.

I'm in the middle of a 460 (waiting for parts to finish it), and it really isn't hard.

go for it

Today I got the news from my Stihl shop: after 22 years, my 026 is tired, and has lost compression (no other problems, according to the man.)

I am up for a DIY project and consider replacing the cylinder and piston, hoping that it will run again like new.

Four questions for the esteemed DIY's among you:

I'd go for the kit from Brad C. I believe it can be found in the trading post section.

You don't have to have the decomp valve for the 026. It is possible that your top cover does not even have the opening for it. (If you bought an aftermarket kit, they usually supply the plug.)

I'd say you should be fine. There are plenty of threads here on rebuilds, use the search function. The 026 threads are plentiful.

I'd inspect the machine as I go. You may want to find out what led to it's demise. In other words, did it have a leaky seal, or other air leak. If you're just doing the top end you will need the cylinder gasket. You should be able to get the manuals you need in the "BEG FOR MANUALS" thread.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

JM

This would be a great project if you follow through with it. I wish you the best in your rebuild. :) Keep coming to the site, you will find it to be habit forming and enjoyable. Be sure to read my comments inserted in your quote. Have a great one.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, (I assume, it's a predominantly male audience?)

Thanks for the initial encouragement and advice.
Upon it, I will proceed the following way:

I will dismantle the top end, look for suspicious wear patterns on cylinder walls, piston/rings, and bottom gasket, and take pictures.

Then- if I don't see obvious surface irregularities, warps or blown gasket sections, it's an excellent suggestion to start with replacing rings only!

The beauty of working on material things like this (unlike dealing with other peoples' personalities) is that they will not change or morph unexpectedly, so only my right or wrong approach will be responsible for the right or wrong outcome.

Best regards,
JM

026 deserves a new P/C kit ... just finished doing the same job
odds are piston and liner will not be within spec's.

mine looked good but had too much play.
go with a new P/C and be done

note P/C from bcorradi will be for MS260. which will work fine for 026. the one I got was excellent quality and super low price too

026 fin2.JPG

026 vacuum.JPG

Last edited:
026 rebuild

I'd suggest that a piston/cylinder from bcorradi and a check to see if the saw holds pressure. after 20 years there has been a slow decline in performance which one does not notice, so it will kick a$$ with athe new stuff and make your work rewarding.
and its not that hard.

Back