To atempt to answer Scott'ss question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
Reaction score
Ok, so, as a novice trying to pick up what you guys are laying down, based on everything I have read on this. Basically, there is no definite answer on the "why" these trees do this, as everyone is different and all are based on situation's at the sites. In other words, its all conditional. That it is up to the individual to investigate each situation, independent of the others. No different than a tree that has a disease, while the same species next to it, in the same yard, does not. Some trees are genetically pre-dispositioned to this, while others are not but still do?
To sum it up, nature has its way?
Deep stuff, genuinely trying to learn/understand! Had to get out the books to understand some of this! But they were not much help, the books I have anyways!

I think you have a basic understanding of what is going on, some trees will have it as a genetic response, others it seems to be more abiotic.

It has been posited that twisty cedar types in inhospitable locations have a twisty phloem because it protects the entirety of the tree from weathering.

Some genera have a "naturally" twisted fiber; anyone who has split Ulmus has seen this, but I have not read any conjecture for the why of this development, evolution is random, and not all traits have a purpose. Many seem to be linked to a different seemingly unrelated mechanism, and may be "useless".

There can be a wide degree of morphological diversity within a seed crop from a single tree, or a wide range of plants that breed "true to form" and a few sports. As you say, it all depends. :laugh:

Thanks! Between you and TV, I believe I have a grasp on it. So much info, trying to sort it out to come up with a summary on the topic is not easy. But trying to retain it all, never the less!
And that IS why I am here.
I have got to get that pic of the Maple up, if there was such a thing as braided or weaved, I think it applies, like I said before, over there. It has 3, 6" leads that are braiding, no different than a girl putting a french braid in her pony tail!

But trying to retain it all, never the less!

I can relate to that, dealing with TBI; though mine was due to several high fevers - same outcome. Sometimes I can "feel" an idea or concept in my head trying to come to the forefront. The "tip of the tongue" syndrome, as if there is damage to the corpus callosum, and a gestalt segment on one side is pounding on the wall in frustration :laugh:

corpus-callosum-of-the-brain.jpg

We need to get that device the dog (Doug) had in the movie, "UP" That would make thi........SQUIRREL!!..........ngs a lot easier!

Back