to bucket or not to bucket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmueller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was wondering if you business owners had to do it all over again and actually had a choice ,would you start with a bucket truck and a chipper or just a chip dump and a chipper. To bucket truck or not to bucket truck? Such are the questions I ask of thee.

Start with a chipper/chip truck at first. A bucket truck is a luxury, unless you've landed a utility contract.
The next luxury I would add would be a prentice loader on the chip truck.
Then, a bucket truck.
Then, maybe, a crane.

I started with a bucket, cause I got a good deal on it. Was chipping into a 1/2 ton pu w/ no dump.

Like any other piece of equipment, you need to have it make money for you.

If it the use puts you in the black it is an investment.

If it puts you in the red it is a debt.

Even if you pay for it with chash, the company is borrowing money from you.

Only if the company can buy it outright would it be anything else, then the company should be borrowing from it's self, and paying some interest towards future purchaces.

I dont know about you, but 75% of the work I do is NOT accessable to a bucket truck. Denver is chock full of small back yards with big maple trees and cottonwoods. Even if you had a 65 ft Altec or Hi-Ranger you would be working from the alley. Invest in a chipper, chip truck and hone your climbing skills

Kenn

To start all over again would be great but too late now. I would start with bucket with chip box if you could afford it because it is multifunctional. You can use bucket during off season for other jobs. I used to make a few pennies decorating at christmas time when treework slow. Couple of electricians I knew would call me to do light bulbs in parking lots on sundays. Other companies that did not have truck called us for hazard removals that they were afraid to climb. Bucket truck is another tool in your box that can return some cash. Will never replace climbing but if you can afford it and willing to hustle it go for it.

Well not to do over, rather to do...

My plan is to get a chipper, then a crane, then a bucket. The crane is mighty versital (can make money different ways) and more usful IMO for removals that require tecnical rigging. You can always ride the ball or the basket, but both have there strengths and weaknesses.

worked for a longtime without a bucket truck... as soon as i got one i i could do the work so much faster, it allows me to cut with a big saw from high up in the tree. . saved a lot of cuts too. i just use the bucket for a crane and i can load the big chucks of the tree right onto a trailer..

I'll never argue that a bucket isn't quick, and quite efficient. But the original question was 'what you would start with'.
If you can afford to 'start' with a bucket, go for it. But most two or three people companies starting out can't afford that.
I still stand by my original 'hirearchy of needs' when it boils down as to what piece of heavy equipment to purchase.

Originally posted by Abbershay
worked for a longtime without a bucket truck... as soon as i got one i i could do the work so much faster, it allows me to cut with a big saw from high up in the tree. . saved a lot of cuts too. i just use the bucket for a crane and i can load the big chucks of the tree right onto a trailer..

are you sure its ok too use a bucket for lifting ..im only passing comment not judgement

Prentice knuckle crane has worked great for me, very seldom use my chipper, I live in a rural area and can get rid of the brush at no charge. You can stuff alot of brush in a 18' bed with 6' side's. I started with a bucket truck and do many other jobs, I-E anthing you can't reach with a ladder, and alot safer.

And that is usually at the city brush dump. Don't tell anyone. I'm waiting for them to wake up one day and start charging. But I do alot of work for the city, So far so good.

to bucket or not to bucket

might I sugest that a towable lift that will go to the height you want might be a better investment . One not the only problem with a big truck is a place to put it. With a towable you can put it next to the house and I t will take up the space of a boat. Abucket truck also is about 20 000 pounds and wont go into many back yards. With a towable you can tow it with a 3/4 ton truck . If you dont drive 70 mph. It can still be used for lights , trees and if rated corectly can lift 500 pds . you can use the 3/4 truck truck for other things. This is only my opinion, and I havent been doing this for very long , but I think that every consideration for equiptment should figure will I use it every time I cut a tree. I Do not have deep pockets , so every time I get something new It has to be used every time I cut. These lifts are not lite , but if you have a sprinkler system in the yard youre in and you put a bucket truck over it . You will be back. Some lifts are 12volt some are run on small engines Like honda 12 horse they dont use the gas a big truck uses and hold there value well I hope that I have given you an other look . good luck Dave1 I used tmz 66 genie lift that had a working height of 66feet and you could lift 300 pds , and later a a genie towable that had a hook att for 500 pds So if you lift you must make sure that its ok hope it helps dave1

Last edited:
Now there is a different idea. Problem is I'm worried about terrain with those lifts . Jobs I get usually are around some goofy hill or something. How much do those things go for anyway? I know those bucket trucks are a big investment. We do have a place here that rents those lifts. Lots to ponder. Thanks

Get a bucket you will use it often and they are nothing but a moneymaker, and no, no, no, it5 is not any sort of lifting device whatsoever.

Towable lift good idea, they weren't around when I got a bucket, so this style lift wasn't an option.

The drawback I see to something like this would be backing into postion might be a problem.

You mentioned hills, trying to pull or back a towed piece of equipment up or down a hill is definately going to be problem, especially with a small truck, like a p/up.

Working with towed equipment works best on flat level ground with good traction for the tow vehicle.

Just thought I would throw this in, to give you something more to ponder on.

As far as using a knuckle boom to lift, Eric is right, some are equipped with material handlers for top boom, others are equipped with winches on the lower boom for lifting. As general rule, knuckles should not be used the same as a crane.

Larry

Last edited:
Back