To Buy, or not to buy a 362?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think we've seen anyone show us this comparison yet. I personally don't see the 562 whooping up on the 362 like most seem to believe.

I've run both and the XP has mo whoop...

MS362 is a good saw, but one should look very hard at the 562xp before buying. :msp_wink:

I agree. The 362 doesnt get it fair shake around here. I feel alot of the people downing them havent ran a well broken in 362. Grab ahold of one with about 30 tanks through it and a muffler mod and it'll really surprise you. I've always liked them. The 562xp is an awesome saw, but you can't take anything away from the 362.

I agree, after my 362 was broken in I opened the muffler up and I am very pleased with it. It has a wider power band than my MS361, which is a great saw itself

Steve

I just came in from running my 562 that was ported hot by Terry and it is the angriest saw I've ever seen!!!!! It will dust my stock 441, and hang tight with my 576 in 18" pine that had blowed down that we were cleaning up. I'm running 20" TL on it and 20" on 441.

MS362s are good saws as are the 562s. I've ran both and they seemed so close power wise I could not tell which was the strongest. The 562 was a little smoother, but I thought the 362 had a better build quality. That outboard clutch would be the deal breaker for me though if I were in the market for a new 60cc saw, I'd much rather have an inboard one instead.

Well in the past I've run a 036 and a 360 Stihl. And I owned a 365 Husky. Didn't notice much of a difference between these two. I haven't had a chance to run a 362 or a 562. But just from searching on the web there doesn't sem to be that much difference in wieght or power. But I did look into the 562. Seems to be of a brand thing more than anything. The price I was quoted was out the door on that 362. Before tax it was $659.

a good friend of mine has one, I sold it to him cause Stihl is king to him and I make him eat chips when I help him cut with my 562. as a matter of fact one of the reasons I bought the 550 was to give him a fighting chance :yoyo: 362 good quality saw will last a long time and he's happy, as long as I leave my saws at home:msp_biggrin:
any timed cuts to prove this? or you just the typical husky guy trying to prove huskys' are faster? if it is a couple of tenths quicker, big deal, 10 years from now the 362 will still be running strong and the 562/550 will be in the junk pile.

Don't get discouraged by the Stihl hater's. The 362 is an excellent saw with build quality second to no one. I'll take built here in the USA by American workers over any supposed 1 or 2 second speed avandtange cutting a piece of firewood. It's a rock solid platform that has been in production for a number of years. Husky builds a good saw, but if you have a good relationship with the dealer, stick with them. With a purchase of a six pack of Ultra two cycle mix you double your warranty from one year to two years in the unlikely case you will need it.
With proper care and feeding a 362 should last you a life time. We sell at least a couple a week, rarely do you ever see one come into the shop, when you do it's a case of old fuel sitting in it for a long period of time. Their just a rock solid firewood saw, it has never gotten the credit it deserves being over shadowed by its predecessor the MS361.

$659 before tax is under msrp for the 362. I believe the 562 is north of $700. I have a 362, well broken in, and it is a nice saw to run, I enjoy it. I have nothing to say about the 562 as I have not run one, seen one run, touched one or even care to. I would say this, either one would be a good purchase, go fondle each one and buy whichever saw you like best. The bashing of the 362 by certain individuals is expected.

Stihl thread=Sawtroll bait.

10 years from now the 362 will still be running strong and the 562/550 will be in the junk pile.

I'll show my scientific proof, when you do :msp_rolleyes:

run both and you'll know.

I never knocked the 362 as a saw, if you want a 562 equal go get a 362 w/mtronic... oh wait nvm:msp_sleep:

I owned a MS361, used it to make a living for over a year. Great saw, can say nothing bad about it. The problem I have with the 362 is it was made to replace the 361 yet they made it almost 1/2 a pound heavier with no added performance gain.

I would own another 361 in a heartbeat. But I would buy a 261 before I ever bought a 362.

I owned a MS361, used it to make a living for over a year. Great saw, can say nothing bad about it. The problem I have with the 362 is it was made to replace the 361 yet they made it almost 1/2 a pound heavier with no added performance gain.

I would own another 361 in a heartbeat. But I would buy a 261 before I ever bought a 362.

A 362 is stronger than a 361. Especially if both are broken in. The 362 breakes in better than any saw I've ever been around. I owned a muffler modded and broken in 361 and loved it, but I ran it against a well broken in and muff modded 362 and I could feel the difference. One thing I could NOT feel is the weight difference, when holding both side by side. The 362 just has a good feel to it in the hands. If they ever decide to put the m-tronic carb on it then it'll be one wicked 60cc saw.

If anyone is shopping for a 60cc saw, don't let the power difference between the 562xp and the 362 make your mind for you. It's nothing more than a few ticks on a stopwatch. The price -vs- price difference is more of a decision maker IMO.

A 362 is stronger than a 361. Especially if both are broken in. The 362 breakes in better than any saw I've ever been around. I owned a muffler modded and broken in 361 and loved it, but I ran it against a well broken in and muff modded 362 and I could feel the difference. One thing I could NOT feel is the weight difference, when holding both side by side. The 362 just has a good feel to it in the hands. If they ever decide to put the m-tronic carb on it then it'll be one wicked 60cc saw.

If anyone is shopping for a 60cc saw, don't let the power difference between the 562xp and the 362 make your mind for you. It's nothing more than a few ticks on a stopwatch. The price -vs- price difference is more of a decision maker IMO.

Thanks for the input. If the 362 is stronger then a 361 then it is a nasty little saw.

Since I use my saw 8 hours a day, I rarely let a price differance be the reason I choose a saw.(within reason)

One of the reasons I am considering the 562XP is the throttle response. I loved my MS361, but I find my throttle response with my 550XP an advantage when I am limbing Nova Scotia spruce. I assumed this was because of the Husky Autotune.

I have been using both my MS 362 and Husky 550xp this weekend - and yeah - after using the 550xp the 362 throttle response was noticeably slower - more low down torque of course with the 362 but it's weird how quick you get used to such a screamer as the 550xp, and the weight and balance of the 550xp, just wow, despite some oddities with the Autotune carb..

Thanks for the input. If the 362 is stronger then a 361 then it is a nasty little saw.

Since I use my saw 8 hours a day, I rarely let a price differance be the reason I choose a saw.(within reason)

One of the reasons I am considering the 562XP is the throttle response. I loved my MS361, but I find my throttle response with my 550XP an advantage when I am limbing Nova Scotia spruce. I assumed this was because of the Husky Autotune.

I run my saws around 8 hours a day too. I'm with you on price not being a factor in choosing my worksaws. I only use 70cc saws for work but they are a 441C and a 372xpw, both ported. I feel there's not another choice for a good worksaw in the 70cc class. The 7900 would be the only other. The AT and M-tron do make a difference in response and they're just hard to beat. The 550xp and 562xp are both awesome saws and I can see where they would be handy in a workplace. But the 362 and 261 are pretty handy as well. It really just comes down to which brand you want. I do feel that if Stihl gets m-tron on the 261 and 362 that they'll be hard to beat for work.
As I mentioned, both of my worksaws are ported too, and I feel that's the only way to go with worksaws. I would hate to have to work with a stock saw now. A ported 562xp is a beast of a saw. A ported 362 is too.

I have been using both my MS 362 and Husky 550xp this weekend - and yeah - after using the 550xp the 362 throttle response was noticeably slower - more low down torque of course with the 362 but it's weird how quick you get used to such a screamer as the 550xp, and the weight and balance of the 550xp, just wow, despite some oddities with the Autotune carb..

Is your 362's muffler modded? I found that modding the muffler greatly helped throttle response in the 362, as well as the 361.

All my saws are muff modded but none are ported. I keep saying I have to have them woods ported but have never pulled the trigger.

My 70cc saw is a 460, which I am quite happy with.

For years I was loyal to Husky, then switched to Stihl because my longtime dealer did. My 550xp was the first Husky I bought in years.
I do agree all the saws we have mentioned are great saws, and a customer would be happy with any.

Is your 362's muffler modded? I found that modding the muffler greatly helped throttle response in the 362, as well as the 361.

No, not yet, I am not complaining though, it's a great saw, almost out of warranty with it, so I will consider a muffler mod soon, thanks for the info!

Back