To Close

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A change of underwear required no doubt? We all know that 10 seconds to put chaps on is always a better option than months - years of rehab, huge pain, massive expense and surgery or worse, loss of life, but we think it will never happen to us.

I always start saws in flip flops and shorts here in Australia - though never cut without full PPE. Stupid.

Well done for sharing honestly, we are all guilty of this in one degree or another at some stage. Pleased you got away with just a warning / dry bite and can enjoy the rest of your day.

Buy a lottery ticket :)

A change of underwear required no doubt? We all know that 10 seconds to put chaps on is always a better option than months - years of rehab, huge pain, massive expense and surgery or worse, loss of life, but we think it will never happen to us.

I always start saws in flip flops and shorts here in Australia - though never cut without full PPE. Stupid.

Well done for sharing honestly, we are all guilty of this in one degree or another at some stage. Pleased you got away with just a warning / dry bite and can enjoy the rest of your day.

Buy a lottery ticket :)
Well said.
I just bought arborist pants 3 weeks ago.
You would think that I would know better after cutting firewood for 44 years.

A few years ago my buddy gave me a Homelite chain saw circular saw .There was no spring on the blade guard it was getting dark I was rushing trying to get it to start.I poured mix in the cylinder drop started her for a couple pulls she started and quit.I looked at my pants and the saw blade had cut threw my wool pants and creased my grey wool long johns another 1/32 of an inch and the blood would have flew.That episode wisened me up for awhile.
Kash

A few years ago my buddy gave me a Homelite chain saw circular saw .There was no spring on the blade guard it was getting dark I was rushing trying to get it to start.I poured mix in the cylinder drop started her for a couple pulls she started and quit.I looked at my pants and the saw blade had cut threw my wool pants and creased my grey wool long johns another 1/32 of an inch and the blood would have flew.That episode wisened me up for awhile.
Kash
Kash
This time I felt a tooth touch my leg, but it just didn't cut it. The chain had almost stopped when it hit my pants.

I know of two guys that died when they cut there femoral artery with a electric circular saw. You were very lucky.

Clint

I put chaps on every time I cut no matter how small the job. I have seen too many injuries in my life. I’m glad that it only nicked your pants and that you didn’t get hurt.
You are right.
I shared it so those new to using chainsaws can see it can happen to someone like myself that been cutting for over 4 decades.

Too close indeed. Glad no major damage.

I'm guilty of often not wearing chaps. The restriction in leg/hip range of motion, especially on steep, dangerous inclines weighs evenly in my mind with the risk of not wearing them. The key is to move slow and with thought or intent when not wearing them.....often easier said than done.

I'm thinking of instituting a new personal rule: no working with any parts that are metal or sharp without at least socks on. Dropped a new/clean 16" bar, sprocket tip down, on my foot Friday nite. It slipped from the cardboard when I was putting it away, fell from maybe 3' high, broke skin, barely missing the vein running towards the big toe, and likely fractured a bone connecting the toe near the bend. Gonna be out for at least 3-5 days, maybe longer. No way I can walk around in boots at this point.

Stay safe everybody!

I kinda scared myself the other day. My chain was a bit dull and I was limbing a tree. I squeezed the trigger to nip off a large stub but my chain was already touching it so instead of cutting it pushed the bar towards me (using the pushing chain).

Humburner said: "I'm guilty of often not wearing chaps. The restriction in leg/hip range of motion"
Look in to chainsaw pants. They are much more comfortable and far less binding. Plus no straps to snag on branches.
2stroker

glad you are ok. i had a guy replace me as his climber with a younger kid that was supposed to be way faster than me. i was always safe and took longer sometimes because i alway made damn sure things were going to be done without damage to anyone ore anything. I told heim that he was making a mistake and the kids second day he cut into his leg while he was 50 feet up in the air and it almost killed him because it took the fire dept a while to get him down. the saddet part was the kid was only 19 and it was his first job and now he is mangled for life.

You are right.
I shared it so those new to using chainsaws can see it can happen to someone like myself that been cutting for over 4 decades.
Useful reminder for those who have been using saws for decades, too.

Gotta confess I'd gotten out of the habit of putting my chaos on for "quick cuts". A few posts here a few months ago reminded me that I was being be a moron. Bought and arborist helmet, too!

Useful reminder for those who have been using saws for decades, too.

Gotta confess I'd gotten out of the habit of putting my chaos on for "quick cuts". A few posts here a few months ago reminded me that I was being be a moron. Bought and arborist helmet, too!
I bought a cheap helmet also. I like it so well I'm going to buy a better one.

i have pants that have snaps and webbing on the inside that have chaps that snap into them so they arent strapped to your legs and belted around your waist. they are way handy.

Back