To Close

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Humburner said: "I'm guilty of often not wearing chaps. The restriction in leg/hip range of motion"
Look in to chainsaw pants. They are much more comfortable and far less binding. Plus no straps to snag on branches.
2stroker
I paid 300 bucks (Canada dollars) for mine I love them will never go back to chaps. Can-swe is the ones I have

My stepdad is missing a couple fingers from a table saw, he got in a hurry at work. It can happen in a second even to the best of us.
Seems to me that it's the experienced guys who are often the ones who get hurt. Familiarity breeds carelessness ... "I've used that saw every day for the past 20 years and it never bit me yet!" You can forget that it CAN and WILL bite you. I've seen the same thing happen with shooters and hunters on the issue of gun safety. Stats bear it out: It's often the older guys who have been hunting all their lives who have accidents, while the noobies are comparatively safe.

the oh it will be fine its just thjs or that and ends up with an accident. i check my chain break often and always try to make sure that i have as much work area as i can

Seems to me that it's the experienced guys who are often the ones who get hurt. Familiarity breeds carelessness ... "I've used that saw every day for the past 20 years and it never bit me yet!" You can forget that it CAN and WILL bite you. I've seen the same thing happen with shooters and hunters on the issue of gun safety. Stats bear it out: It's often the older guys who have been hunting all their lives who have accidents, while the noobies are comparatively safe.
Reminds me of my professional cabinet maker friend (now deceased) in his declining years - l used to drop in to see him when work brought me by his shop. One hand or the other was always bandaged. Literally cutting his fingers off a bit at a time. It was sad to see, but he loved his job and kept at it as long as he could.

Ron

He's been building custom cabinets over 50 years. Still doing that type of work in his 70's. He said he hit a knot in the wood. I don't do that type of work but accidents happen most are preventable in hind sight.

Its true whether it is on the job in construction or in chain saw use the experienced guys are the ones who get hurt.you are so used to doing stuff you do a lot with thinking you cut corners.The new guys are a bit scared of the task and most try to stay focused on the task at hand.in a lot of cases the safety training is still fresh in their minds.
In orientations on construction site I had the luck of seeing a very good film called Remember Charlie I saw it on several different construction projects in varying lengths from one hour to six hours. Charlie was a refinery worker who had many years of expereince he was in a rush to go on vacation and had to open and close several valves he was in a rush and caused an explosion. Charlie lived and tells his agonizing story of recovery and what it did to his family and the terrible damage to his body.This film is a real wakeup call I have saw grown construction workers crying while viewing the film.
My winter cutting outfit is Woolridge wool overalls I had the wife sew the ballistic nylon patches in them.The worst pants and jackets are the nylon ones they shed snow but do not breathe and you sweat to death. My jacket is a Fillson wool with a nylon strip the wife sewed across the back shoulder part. When you go to cut under a fir or spruce tree the snow from the branches hits your neck and shoulders and slides off.
Kash

I sold to the woodworking industry for 40 years and in order of damage it was shaper, jointer, table saw. The first two would grind up flesh and leave nothing to sew back together. The table saw would often cut if not off allow the Dr. to work some magic.
I hated selling safety devices AFTER the injury!
Pushing 70 now and felling dead and hazard at a State park part time. Mostly for fun. I love it! Chainsaw pants,chainsaw jacket, helmet, harness with First Aid kit every time I cut!
We've got an employee that pretty much won't wear his PPE. I'm afraid his time will come.
2stroker

I sold to the woodworking industry for 40 years and in order of damage it was shaper, jointer, table saw. The first two would grind up flesh and leave nothing to sew back together. The table saw would often cut if not off allow the Dr. to work some magic.
I hated selling safety devices AFTER the injury!
Pushing 70 now and felling dead and hazard at a State park part time. Mostly for fun. I love it! Chainsaw pants,chainsaw jacket, helmet, harness with First Aid kit every time I cut!
We've got an employee that pretty much won't wear his PPE. I'm afraid his time will come.
2stroker
Where I’m from WCB can and will tell you to stop work over that and will stick both employer and the employ with a big fine

Back