To introduce myself...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gearhead1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I thought it only proper to say hello and give a brief introduction as a new member, so here goes! A lifelong resident of Michigan, I'm also the granson of an immigrant Swedish logger and thankfully some of those skills have been passed along to me through my Father. I've been blessed to have spent many hours in the woods, either with a saw or a gun in my hand (depending on the season :) ). In addition the experience of working WITH chainsaws, I have much also in working ON them as a state licensed mechainic, which is how I earn a living right now. I worked at a McCulloch dealer in the early-mid 90's when there was still quality behind the nameplate, so I had my hands on a thosand or so of them at the time and became REAL familiar with the then popular models of Macs. I had to leave that area of work (outdoor power dealership) because it wasn't paying beans, but now I've found myself working for a private company running their repair shop and once again I am repairing saws (and other machinery) by the dozens (all makes now).
In our family we pretty much ran McCulloch saws, so it pains me greatly today to see the name on those Chineese plastic toys selling today. My Dad bought a PM610 in the late 70's when we put in a wood stove, and that was our primary cutter for 25 years. It still runs fantastic and has been one of the most dependable machines I've known, wearing out a bar & chain, brake band, throttle link, and nothing else in its life. Many years later (in the early 90's) we picked up an Eager Beaver 3.7 for a steal ($50.00 brand new--K-mart clearance!!!), and have put a few hours on it too. I save it more for bigger work because the 20" bar I find awkward for cutting up the smaller stuff. More recently I have acquired a used Pro-Mac 10-10S (about the last made of that design), which I like quite a bit too. After studying the sitiuation on current saws, and knowing that those McCullochs are going more toward parts obsolescence, I picked up a used Husqvarna 257. I find it to be a decent saw all around, lighter than the McCullochs we have, high-rev engine, with the difference in its smaller displacement becoming apparent only when you sink that bar well into a large log. Heck, I ran over it with the dump truck duals :eek: and it came out in one piece (did have to tig the aluminum handle where it cracked.
And now the primary reason I joined here...I've got a project BIG, old beast McCulloch 1-76 that I acquired through work. For the sake of clarity I'll start a new thread on that matter, and wrap up this wordy greeting to all. I'll be looking forward to talking saws, cutting, or what else with you fellas here.

Neat, I hope you post often, and I look forward to hearing what you've got to say. you'll get bit by the collecting bug REALLY easily, trust me, I bought one saw a few years ago, and it just turned into about 13 different ones, which I use a few of regularly.

Welcome aboard Gearhead1. Ditto on what oldsawaddict said. Sounds like you will be able to contribute your knowledge :cool: , as well as fit in here right nicely.

Again... welcome :) ,

Gary

Last edited:
hello gearhead, welcome hello to everyone else too, have not been on computer for a long time, had a virus.

Seek out The Oz man, He knows everything. I'd like to see a pic of your old Mac. I have a 740 I need a part or two for.

Welcome gearhead. Nice to see someone with experience speak kindly about the PM610, very little of that on here. Mine was purchased new in 1976 and suffers from none of the woes I read here except for being ugly, it owes me nothing. We just got it running again after an accident 5-6 years ago almost totaled it. Nothing makes the same racket as an old Mac, was nice to hear it again.

Welcome aboard Gearhead1. Looking forward to your input. And remember, I never met a chainsaw that I did not like!

pbtree...

BTW, all of the McCulloch fans are deaf in the right ear..........................

I live in a hick state. What is a state licenced mechanic? Do you have to be
state lis. to work on saws? just curious.

Gday Gearhead,
Welcome to the Mc-rat race but your amongst friends here with us Mc Men at least and we dedicated to the Mc-Cause, i too like the old Mc 1-70? Vist my site via the link at the base of this message and see what i have.

McBob.

Welcome aboard Gearhead1. I joined just recently as well, i think you'll find the ppl here very friendly, knowledgable and helpful with any questions or concerns. I hope you enjoy it here

Welcome, GH, it will be nice to have you around. Poor Oz has been overworked helping those of us with those incredible old Macs!

You guys are O.K.

Thank you fellows for extending a hearty welcome to me (and my saws :laugh: ).
Oz, you have quite the website there, I never knew that McCulloch had made it big in Australia.
Fish, to answer your questions--no, you don't have to be licensed to work on saws up here--and the license I have is for automotive repair. I was also certified by a group called T.S.D.A. (The Service Dealer's Association) some years ago for 2 & 4 cycle engine repair, but that's more or less no big deal. The dealership I worked at wanted to pay the fee for the testing, so I went along.
To all the McCulloch owners here, I do have the complete McCulloch microfiche set (from '98) at work, so I will be able to help finding part numbers if you have a few days. Also, whenever I get things worked out with the digital camera, I hope to put a few pic's up here of the cutting fleet.

Cheers, Gearhead1, howahryuh? You're going to make some Macnutty friends here. I too am curious about your signature, but I've never studied Latin, & I'm too lazy to look it up.

Aw ra best! Chris J.

Back