To Mulch, or Not To Mulch, That IS the question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d4dave1

Reaction score
Whether 'tis nobler to suffer the desication and sun scald of winters weather........

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

The long story. I am an aspiring apple orchardist and have been enduring a very steep learning curve over the last couple of years. The fact that I live in Alberta, Canada might have a bit to do with some of the education being "hands-on" as there is a dirth of information about growing apples in our fair province. Most people look at me like I am crazy and my wife would say they are not far wrong. Now for the question at hand.

I bought 100 Siberian crab rooted plugs this past spring to use as grafting stock for my future orchard. I just recently got them planted into the ground (had them in pots for the summer) and am busy watering them in really well. They are in the 12 inch to 16 inch range for height and less than pencil thick. I was debating whether I should put a mulch around them to hold in the moisture, prevent them thawing too early in the spring and maybe hold a bit more ground temperature around the roots for the winter. I have access to large quantities of pine shavings, can use straw but am worried about mice and have endless supplies of hay with the same concerns about mice plus weeds in the spring.

Anybody with some advice or comments?
Regards,
Dave.​

Latest posts

Back