To sue or not to sue, a morale dilemma.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CoreyTMorine said:
Perhaps that is the case, but without an investigation we will not know what circumstances led to this unfortunate event.

Here's a weird idea - how about we have the investigation before we decide if somebody should be sued?

Just a thought....

CoreyTMorine said:
And the procedural error may never be corrected..

What procedural error would that be? The one you have ASSUMED prior to any investigation?

Newfie said:
Where in your rant is any mention of the kids responsibility (and he is certainly mature enough to be responsible if he is in college)?

Well, he's OLD enough. Whether he's mature or not is another question. :D

I guess we'll find that out when we find out if he sues or accepts responsibility for making a mistake.

BlueRidgeMark said:
Well, he's OLD enough. Whether he's mature or not is another question. :D

I guess we'll find that out when we find out if he sues or accepts responsibility for making a mistake.

I stand corrected. But you know what I was getting at.

I think he's got a pretty strong case. His parents brought him into this world without his prior consent. He was duped and probably forced to go to college and an art college at that. Some ill-willed instructor no doubt made him do this assignment and put some sort of unreasonable deadline on handing it in. He was probably rushing to get it done because his friends made him go out partying instead of doing his work.

We could play this silly game all day with BS excuses for why someone else should be financially punished for an accident.

Of course we don't have evn the most basic of facts, such as how did the moron in question manage to cut his finger off?:deadhorse:

Well i am part of the higher education group. I am currently a junior at Purdue and our prof. that teaches us to climb is very well respected in the industry and has many connections. He's held many offices in the ISA and is a certified arborist. He makes sure that all ansi standards are followed and makes sure that everyone is following safety procedures at all time.

trevmcrev said:
sounds like he just F:censored:"D UP!!

TREV
That answer is no longer acceptable in the US and will probably get you sued.

Someone, somewhere, somehow, let him down and deserves to pay dearly.:biggrinbounce2:

CoreyTMorine said:
...When a climber falls out of a tree and paralyzes himself from the neck down who exactly assumes responsibility? It is certainly not the climber, he will probably never make any money again, so he is incapable of being responsible or accountable for his actions...
you better believe it's his responsibility, who has to carry on and pick up the pieces may be another story, but the event up to him falling out of the tree is his responsibility.we all take that responsibility into our own hands every time we work a tree or start a power tool or get behind the wheel or get out of bed in general, that responsibility is what keeps us safe. All an instructor or employer can do is show someone the proper way to do something, whether they can execute the task without hurting themselves is ultimately up to them. I don't see the link to this story, so I don't know what happened or if there was or was not proper training involved, It must have gotten edited out of the threads or something.

Nothing like litigation to make the world a safer and better place, its made people take responsibility for there actions, brought communities closer together and has fairly judged how well people have shown care.

Yeah right.

Mike, You are such a right thinking individual-it must really chap your hind cheeks to hear over and over on your local news "Senator Kennedy" and "Senator Kerry".:popcorn:

CoreyTMorine said:
.... And yet in this situation the student cut his finger off, so there is either a problem with training protocol at this school, or the kid was negligent.

A teacher became involved and another mistake was made (forgetting to bring the cut off finger to the ER) so there was another instance of either lack of training or negligence, this time on the part of the teacher.

Now law suits that revolve around negligence are a horrible drain on society, and are wrong in any context. I.E. If I cut my hand through improper use of a chainsaw I have only myself to blame.

But lawsuits that address procedural error help to make procedures better.

Wow... every post of your makes me shake my head.

So you are saying that the teacher should have been trained on how not forget fingers and other body parts? Come on! The kid cut it off himself, the teacher helps and the teacher is liable because some dumb kid cut off his finger and the kid forgets to bring HIS, not the teachers, finger along? Pleazeee... It's not like it it's the teachers finger. It's the kids. Does the kid have a problem forgetting where he puts gloves and shoes too? Here's a good idea, next time you fall go sue the shoe store for not training you how to walk.

CoreyTMorine said:
its not in court treeco, purely hypothetical. I was just curious is all.

I think this is alot more than hypothetical. You really think the kid should sue and attempt to take the money and suspect you know in your heart it is probably the wrong thing. Of course, the next logical step is to post this on an internet arborist site and hopefully get some moral and ethical support to make you feel better about yourself. Best of luck.

CoreyTMorine said:
My question is should the kid sue the school? I would, but as I said earlier, I am quite biased against higher education.

Sprig said:
I may be off base here but at what point in life does one take responsibilities
for their own actions?

:popcorn:

Good question. I was going to answer, but the truth is, I'm not sure.

Stumper said:
Mike, You are such a right thinking individual-it must really chap your hind cheeks to hear over and over on your local news "Senator Kennedy" and "Senator Kerry".:popcorn:

I used to think I was a pretty liberal guy, mostly back in my care free college days. Now I don't mind helping my fellow man and all that jazz, but it does get tiresome when they want to fix healthcare on my dime alone and continue to allow insurance companies to raise premiums and make great profits while doctors leave the state and hospitals go bankrupt. If Fat Teddy doesn't croak soon, everyone in Mass will have health coverage but nowhere to use it. Don't even get me started on the organized crime syndicate called the pharmeceutical industry.

CoreyTMorine said:
As for overpriced liability insurance, I don’t really see it. I pay US$1400 per annum for US$ 1 million coverage. And last time I called a temp labor place it was $14 per hour per man, which included taxes, workmans comp, and whatever else they are required to provide.

:angry: You're liability insurance is still cheap because you haven't been sued by a bunch of idiots yet an had your rates jacked up and your insurance dropped 3 different times.

As an equipment manufacturer this thread almost makes my head explode. Every year we get sued by somebody that did something that we told them not to do, and we pay dearly. Imagine if you had to pay out $200,000 a year (just about every other year) for something that wasn't your fault...what your insurance rates would be like?
:censored: :censored: :censored:

I find it an interesting stance, to say the least--railing on higher education and then desiring a kid to utilize professionals (lawyers, judges, doctors, etc.) to effect some kind of "procedural" change. Seems a bit hypocritical. Perhaps he's right though. Higher education gives "useless" certifications. Why should doctors, lawyers, judges, and other professionals have to go to some over hyped, over priced school? :biggrinbounce2: Why should people know the difference between "morale" and "moral?" lol

I find it interesting that people who want to sue are interested in talking about their rights and others responsibilities.

What about your responsibilities and the rights of the teacher?

When demanding our rights we must consider who should fairly shoulder the burden of responsibility.

Not who could, but who should.

It was just a finger...which is easy to forget in the heat of the moment. And besides, you've got 9 more.
Now, if it was a penis....now there's something you don't want to leave behind.

This is got to be one of the stupidest people in the world if he needs training to use an exacto knife. Maybe the world would be better off if he would have been left there to bleed out so as to not contaminate the human population with his total stupidity anymore. I am so sick and tired of ignorant fools who feel that hey I am to stupid to watch out for my own well being so I think i'll sue. Maybe he should sue his parents for not giving him the sense god gave a rat or cockroach or any other living thing.

One things for sure he will be more aware next time.

Back