To sue or not to sue, a morale dilemma.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
b1rdman said:
Yes it is isn't it...

Sorry after reading that nonesense I was considering "pulling a Sap on you" (unwarranted slander).

I've calmed down so we're good. If that's the real you then I fold. If it's not then send me the source of that garbage so he/she can be added to "my list".

Personal feeelings aside, what part of my position do you believe to be nonsensical garbage?

-#56 “The definition of responsibility”

-Or perhaps you are onboard with Treeco;
TreeCo said:
CoreyTMorine said:
Conclusion) The student is morally obligated to sue the school, otherwise more students may be hurt.

What a bunch of horse pucky!

Wonder how sharp the knives and forks are in the cafeteria and what kind of training program do they have if any?

The student is morally obligated to be bright enough to use an exacto knife by the time they are in college.

Dan

My position is that the first person to become aware of an issue has an obligation to bring that issue before the people who are responsible or able to fix or evaluate the problem.

The kid in my “student who cut his finger off” example discovered something, ‘improper tool use and improper first aid procedures’ that became a problem for him. I think that he is obligated to make others aware of these issues.

To give another example; If a company driver starts his truck and sees that the low oil light is on he should go and get the maintenance guy.

The difference between the two is that the driver has to find one guy for what is probably an easy fix. Whereas the student must bring together a whole bunch of people, and get them motivated to do some real work, I.E. evaluation and subsequent restructure of a complex, pre-existing system.

As usual I have gotten more wordy than I wanted to, sorry about that. And thanks for not pulling a Sappy on me. Phrases like “Bite me you misanthropic eunuch.” While admittedly entertaining, don’t really matter much otherwise.

So, give me one specific example of what is garbage, and why it is nonsensical garbage. Else I fear that I will fall into the deep abyss of non-right thinking, and Boo might go with me.

PS, sorry ‘bout the truck Boo. If I thought that all law suits were a type of thievery I would be livid with myself for starting this thread. Thieves are the some of the worst.

Last edited:
I think that the problem is that some collage moron was more worried about checking out the coed hottie instead of paying attention to what he was doing. An exacto knife is just that a knife. If he is to stupid to pay attention and know proper handling he is an idiot. Maybe his finger should have been brought or maybe the teacher fainted. Is fainting at sight of blood punishable. Maybe was just more worried about hurrying up to hospital. Who knows. All I know is if the moron would have paid closer attention he wouldn't have hurt himself ] The only one to blame is this idiot. Maybe professor should sue him for making a mess in his class. And usually when someones the first to hurt themselves they aren't the first. We all do stupid ????. I guess by your reasoning the lady who burnt herself with hot coffee was right to sue because she was to stupid or in to much a hurry to sip not gulp. People need to relearn to take responsibility for there own actions.

http://www.vanosteen.com/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit.htm

POSTSCRIPT - Following the trial of Ms. Liebeck's case, the judge who presided over it reduced the punitive damages award to $480,000, even though the judge called McDonald's conduct reckless, callous and willful. This reduction is a corrective feature built into our legal system. Furthermore, after that, both parties agreed to a settlement of the claim for a sum reported to be much less than the judge's reduced award. Another corrective feature.
ADDITIONAL NOTE - Prior to the Liebeck case, the prestigious Shriner's Burn Institute in Cincinnati had published warnings to the franchise food industry that its members were unnecessarily causing serious scald burns by serving beverages above 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
OUR COMMENT - Any common consumer product which can cause third-degree burns (the worst kind) in two to seven seconds is seriously dangerous. Who could have imagined this risk from a cup of coffee? But, McDonald's had ample evidence of it.
These hyper-heated beverages should be eliminated from the marketplace. The Liebeck jury can be commended for its courage in sending this message to the food service industry. Remember, these horrific burns could have happened to you or your family members and friends.

CoreyTMorine said:
http://www.vanosteen.com/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit.htm Remember, these horrific burns could have happened to you or your family members and friends.
No they couldn't and wouldn't have. Why you may ask. Becuase they have more sense than rock.

Sorry but if when you are holding something in your hand that is very warm but yet it is insulated. You know contents are hot.

Might also consider how is coffee made? You boil the water Knowing that the sensable know that coffee is HOT

Guys, I started using Xacto knifes when I was 7 years old building model rockets with no supervision or "training." I never cut myself worse than a paper cut. I would be greatly offended and inconvenienced if I had to be "trained" to use an Xacto knife at the college level. Such regulations, not to mention the inefficiency and pointlessness of, would hamper our educational systems that provide pertinent and necessary training. Not only is this thinking stupid, it is dangerous.

Husky372 said:
No they couldn't and wouldn't have. Why you may ask. Becuase they have more sense than rock.

Sorry but if when you are holding something in your hand that is very warm but yet it is insulated. You know contents are hot.

Might also consider how is coffee made? You boil the water Knowing that the sensable know that coffee is HOT

Mickey Dee's has been sued many times over this. Their coffee temperature is well above industry standards. Shriner's and other burn hospitals have been begging them for YEARS to lower the temperature to industry standard, which will NOT cause 3rd degree burns.

Mickey tells them to shut up and mind their own business.

All she asked for in the first place was for them to pay her medical bills, which included skin grafts to repair the damage. No punitive damages, no "emotional distress". Just the actual medical bills. They told her to pound sand.

The jury, seeing and being outraged at the arrogance of Mickey's lawyers and corporate spokespeople during the trial, fined them ONE DAY'S WORTH OF COFFEE SALES.

This was NOT a case of an ambulance chasing lawyer and a greedy slip & fall shyster. I suspect she gladly settled for the original medical bills, plus legal fees.

spacemule said:
Guys, I started using Xacto knifes when I was 7 years old building model rockets with no supervision or "training." I never cut myself worse than a paper cut. I would be greatly offended and inconvenienced if I had to be "trained" to use an Xacto knife at the college level. Such regulations, not to mention the inefficiency and pointlessness of, would hamper our educational systems that provide pertinent and necessary training. Not only is this thinking stupid, it is dangerous.

Thinking being a dangerous pastime? well, that may be true for some people, but I think that most of us here have a pretty good handle on it.

Remember; thoughts don't kill people, people kill people.

There are many occasions on which I have been greatly offended and inconvenienced by the idea that I should hang on to my chainsaw with both hands while cutting.

“Convenience.” How has that become the war cry for californicated people everywhere? Do you always do what is easiest Spacemule?

Working people get out and do the work that is in front of them, and hopefully by the time it is finished more work will have surfaced. The world wasn’t easy or convenient to build, and it wasn’t done by part timers. If you want to take a stance against my position you knuckle up and make an argument. Rules of engagement can be found on post #46.

Bar room ethics and sound-bites, while they sometimes ammusing really don’t do much as far as completing a line of thought.

Good luck, and thanks for taking the time to post.
EDIT: I’ve just read through your post again mule, there is an argument there, a pretty good one i think, regarding cost of traning and enforcement vs. cost if injuries. I have to get to work, but I’ll come back to it this evening.

I read somewhere that it is difficult to buy a hobby knife in the UK. Is there anyone from Great Britain out there who could shed some light on this situation?

Are hobby knives regulated there? Is it a post 9/11 security measure? Or has parliament decided that hobby knives are too dangerous for willie nillie over the counter sales?

Or did I read something and misinterpret it?

Last edited:
Why not sue the knife manufacturer instead of the school, perhaps like the coffee it should be a blunt knife! :dizzy:

My goodness, what a pathetic world it's become.

MacDonalds didn't spill that coffee on her lap ... she did.

And the jury got sucked in by horrific graphics.

But by that stage it was her coffee and what she did with it was her responsibility.

Think about it like this .... you are looking at saws on a rack. The rack collapses just while you are there and a saw with no bar cover gashes your leg bad .... yep, that's a case for sure.

But this isn't, wanker takes the bar cover off the saw in the carpark and gets excited, drops it and it gashes his leg, stiff cheddar mate ... you are an idiot regardless of how ugly those pictures are.

But oh no, poor guy, lets sympathise and blame some-one else.

Back