To those who like the Intellicarb...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fixed jet carb 026

glens

I see what you are refering to on the walbro site "view of the carb". I cannot verify if there is any thing under the plug. My sthil parts book shows only a plug with nothing under it . I can't say because I have never taken the plug out of mine. I can tell you that the plugged hole in the carb I have and the one shown in the 026 parts book has been counter bored considerably larger than the major diameter of the needle making it impossible or certainly not cost effective to "tap" this model carb. This IMO is a preventive measure taken to prevent "us" from converting this card to fully adjustable.

keep an eye on ebay for an adjustable carb or parts saw w/ carb. I just bought one for 15.50 rebuilt .....I will let you know how the swap works out

jeff

I swapped out my carb today

...with a used 026 carb with fully adjustable jets. It took about the same amount of time as trying to change a jet and my 026Pro now runs like a REAL saw! Once everything was back together I had it dialed in in about 4-5 minutes. Smooth, crisp response off throttle and I can feel the saw jump from the torque. I kept the 'Intellicarb' top plate only so I wouldn't have to modify or swap the air filter.
The used carb cost me $35. I had $15 invested in fixed jets, plus hours of frustration trying to get that POS carb set up properly. Stihl's experiment with fixed jet carbs is a resounding failure.

Originally posted by TreeCo
Glad to hear it Brian. I may be following the path you've taken shortly for my two 026's.

Dan
Atlanta
Remember who told ya about it! I'll swap ya an almost new Intellicarb that you can put on your 024 in exchange for one of your three 038's!! :p
Dan, are you up for a drive to Tallahassee next Sunday for a fun climb? Check out the 'Florida Climb' thread in the climber's forum.

Speaking of fixed jets, does anyone have a part number for a
pre-epa Shindaiwa 488 carb? It seems to run a little fat, maybe
that's why it bogs and stalls in anything over 3". Great saw,
just a far cry from what 3.5 HP is supposed to be. 33LG as sharp
as I can get it, throws nice chips, just not very many. I may have
to build a crank driven blower for it. I'm getting way too used to
modified saws. I'm sure the Shinny will run forever, and that's
how long it will take to get anything done with it.

Originally posted by ClearH20Scott
Speaking of fixed jets, does anyone have a part number for a
pre-epa Shindaiwa 488 carb?

Try this Walbro part # HDA-79-1.

I run 2 Shindaiwa 488's. Although mine ran OK, I was looking for more. I set mine 488's up with this carb. Big difference. One runs at 14,000 and the other at 13,000. I can't explain why there is 1,000 rpm difference between the two. Both saws are under 2 yrs. old and have very little time on them. These saws were running at 12,500 rpm with the fixed jet. This was well worth the $51 I spent. BTW, this price was thru a parts distributor, not a Shindaiwa dealer. My local Shindaiwa dealer located the part for me. There was roughly $30 difference between the Shindaiwa carb and the carb that I have. If I can be anymore help on this, let me know.

Thanks Rich!!

I will try distribution before I call my Shinny dealer. I love the saw
for limbing the small stuff, only 2 stroke I ever owned that
ALWAYS starts on the second pull, no matter if it has sat for a
month or not. Mine is about a year old, has been kind of beat,
but always taken care of, hate the air filter, but I think you can
order a HD unit for it. I just feel that there is more there in the
motor that I can't take advantage of because of the carburetor.
BTW, I bought a T230 last year, best trimmer I've ever owned.

Originally posted by rich hoffman
I set mine 488's up with this carb. Big difference. One runs at 14,000 and the other at 13,000. I can't explain why there is 1,000 rpm difference between the two. Both saws are under 2 yrs. old and have very little time on them. These saws were running at 12,500 rpm with the fixed jet.

Rich, isn't the point of adjustable high speed, so that you can change the top RPM?:confused:

Originally posted by Mike Maas
Rich, isn't the point of adjustable high speed, so that you can change the top RPM?:confused:

Sorry about that, I need to clarify things a bit. Both of my 488's had the fixed jet carb. After I changed to the fully adjustable carb, I was able to get the saws to run stronger. One is set at 13,000 rpm, the is set at 14,000 rpm. When I stated that I didn't understand the 1,000 rpm difference, I meant between the 2 saws, not between the fixed jet and the fully adjustable carb. In my mind, since both saws were purchased within 18 mos. or so of one and other you would think that they would both run there best and roughly the same rpm. Hope this clears thing up.

Results of swapping out the fixed jet carb

As posted earlier in this thread, I finally swapped out the 'IgnoramusCarb' on my 026Pro with a fully adjustable jet carb from an earlier model 026. I got to run it today in some big wood and it ROCKS! I dropped a 24"DBH oak trunk using an 18" bar, .325 RS chain. This little saw just blasted right through it! I even made the 30"+ stump cut with it, no problem.

If any of you are completely frustrated with the fixed jet carb and are considering swapping jets, do yourself a favor and swap carbs instead. Stihltech, JimL and others here have told me it was my incompetence or an air leak or something for months, but it was that stinking carb all along. My saw cuts at least 20% faster than the best it ever cut with the fixed jet carb (using 3 different jets over an 8-10 month period). The best part is that I can dial it in to the tiniest fraction WHILE IT IS RUNNING!
:blob2:

Latest posts

Back