Toasted Husqvarna 162SG to (modded) 272XPG conversion-opinions pls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Savage

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK, Some time ago I was given two H162SG´s fitted with two-piece ignition. One toast, one almost, both pickup coils are dead by now. I found myself that I would soon realy need to cover gap between gently modded 40 ccm (which up to date chewed through anything I needed, including +/- 36 inches of poplar and willow storm clean-up) and brute stock old school six cube power. Where I live, new H372 runs equal of 1000 bucks, 395 1200, Stihl 460 1250 bucks, 660 1800 bucks-just for comparison. Crazy compared to you over the pond; the fact that I live 11 hours of higway run from Husqvarna and about 5 hour run to Stihl means obviously nothing. I don´t work pro, just keeping the habits not dead. So it´s not going to be a meat-getting production saw, albeit it sure will see some runs of that kind.

So I have two parts saw, from which I can build one and have bunch of spares. In focus is: 272XP Meteor P&C, intake manifold, new bearings and gaskets for crankshaft, crankcase seals, pickup coil, carb set, complete antivibe change, filters, clutch drum, 24" bar and some chains. Total about 450 bucks here.
The plan for the first stage of mod is obvious muffler mod, slight intake and exhaust mod and blending. Nothing ultimate or big gain focused, the saw will not see wood over 20-25" too often (I just hate to bend for limbing or dancing around because of lacking 2" of bar), but it will at times have to chew through up to asortment of 18-40" beech or oak and I don´t want to have bogy saw there. maybe some more serious porting in the future, but probably not now. Repair the heated handles wiring (just some minor cable changes needed), maybe mod the intake filter into small cart filter atop of the cover for better accesability. Probably making a fullwrap on some rainy weekend.
From the weight standpoint, it should end up at 7,2-7,3 kg powerhead only- OK, beefy 2 pounds heavier than 372 and around 3,8 kW (that´s just 8% up) or a bit more. Very doable with the muff mod only even on saw of not-EPA-messed up design.

The question-how would you more schooled rate this project (worthy/total loss of money, time etc./resulting in limited worksaw with great durability), what are hints and tips for someone who had very little hand on 272 until now?

Thaks

Latest posts

Back