Today’s dump finds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the dump today. Any reviews?

Attachments

• 2905FB9E-C002-4C59-AF25-F178BE0E00F6.jpeg
    2905FB9E-C002-4C59-AF25-F178BE0E00F6.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 54DB0BAB-95CB-4821-853A-3D02441BD016.jpeg
    54DB0BAB-95CB-4821-853A-3D02441BD016.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 24BA7B83-D8C9-4214-9825-A51CFC60A285.jpeg
    24BA7B83-D8C9-4214-9825-A51CFC60A285.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 2E361629-F4C3-4F1A-99CA-3FD545DD1C1B.jpeg
    2E361629-F4C3-4F1A-99CA-3FD545DD1C1B.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
They're not terrible saws, but at 32cc it is not even a real firewood saw. Electroninc ignition can be a problem, as can the oil cap, folks tend to overtighten them to minimize leaking when the gasket is bad and strip the threads off the oil tank. Use a light weight bar oil to avoid stripping the gears in the automatic oil pump.

Mark

right off the bat, primer bulb is cracked. can i pop off the plastic ring to access it?

No, you will have to take the starter side cover off to replace the primer, standard snap in primer you can find most anywhere. No doubt the fuel lines and the oil line from the tank to the pump will need to be replaced. For whatever reason the material they used for the oil line from the pump to the bar pad is different (rubber) and they rarely seem to fail.

Go carefully as you remove the cover, the throttle and trigger release will almost certainly come out when you separate the covers and you will need to put them back correctly.

Mark

No, you will have to take the starter side cover off to replace the primer, standard snap in primer you can find most anywhere. No doubt the fuel lines and the oil line from the tank to the pump will need to be replaced. For whatever reason the material they used for the oil line from the pump to the bar pad is different (rubber) and they rarely seem to fail.

Go carefully as you remove the cover, the throttle and trigger release will almost certainly come out when you separate the covers and you will need to put them back correctly.

Mark
I found these saws to be hard to work on, and not very durable, but usually got them for free.

The Craftsman you have there is a Poulan 3400 or 3700. I have the same saw in black and yellow, a Poulan Pro 375. Good saws in my opinion, just tighten every bolt on it everyday. Nice finds, and maybe you will see me lurking around Landfill , USA.

I had one of those little saws, and even though I am incredibly patient with machines, that stupid saw damn near turned me into a psychopath. Sometimes, it wouldn't start when it was cold, and other times, it wouldn't start when it was hot. I tore it down twice, to check the crank seals, and check everything else removed in the process of disassembling a saw to that state. I went through the carb, the fuel lines, and pickup.
Then to regain my sanity, I finally crushed it with the bucket of my excavator. I didn't even want to keep it as a hanger queen.
This rant is cathartic, maybe I should talk to a therapist about the damn thing, because it still owns me. It is the only piece of equipment in my long life, that I have intentionally destroyed. :)

I had one of those little saws, and even though I am incredibly patient with machines, that stupid saw damn near turned me into a psychopath. Sometimes, it wouldn't start when it was cold, and other times, it wouldn't start when it was hot. I tore it down twice, to check the crank seals, and check everything else removed in the process of disassembling a saw to that state. I went through the carb, the fuel lines, and pickup.
Then to regain my sanity, I finally crushed it with the bucket of my excavator. I didn't even want to keep it as a hanger queen.
This rant is cathartic, maybe I should talk to a therapist about the damn thing, because it still owns me. It is the only piece of equipment in my long life, that I have intentionally destroyed. :)
Lol, I feel yer pain! 😂

I've got 2 like that Im planning to make one running beater saw out of. They're weird in that the label says one engine displacement, and then there's an EPA sticker that says a different displacement. One of mine was made in Mexico, the other in Taiwan. This was from the dark final days of McCulloch....

Most likely a bad electronic coil, the same thing would happen with a Titan 57 I have. I replaced the coil and it became a dependable saw.

Mark
It could very well have been an intermittent coil, but any time I have a starting problem, the first thing I always do, is check for fuel and spark.
The other thing about the saw, was once it was running, it would burn through the whole tank without issues. Then after adding fueling and oil, it was game on all over again.
I know that working on 2 cycle engines is a black art, but by that time, I had been wrenching machines since the late 50s, and also repairing and maintaining my own saws and dirt bikes for over 15 years, (hell, I was even keeping a clapped out old Lawnboy running just because I could), but it was the inconsistency of this saw that drove me nuts.
BTW, I still have the old Lawnboy, I got it from my neighbour after his son had run straight gas in it. and it still runs

That McCulloch looks super clean, I'd keep it and get it running. It might need a fuel line and primer bulb but maybe that's it.
i have a lot of quality rescued saws. won't hurt to hold onto this one until i determine what is wrong. i will keep any transferable parts, like the case, the oregon bar, maybe the chain, even the spark plug. or i can try to sell the head on ebay to someone for parts.

is this an anomaly?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1550215820...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Mark
actually, the primer bulb device does pop out easily. unfortunately, one of the fuel lines is broken, so would need to undo the whole side.

Attachments

• 57DB4454-18DC-4338-8D87-52604920B80C.jpeg
    57DB4454-18DC-4338-8D87-52604920B80C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
People on Craigslist, Ebay and Marketplace are ridiculous sometimes. Not long ago I found a guy asking $450 for a Mini Mac, haha.
For that it better be a pallet of them!

Latest posts

Back