Today is a great day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrappieKeith

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Funny how when you wake up you just know it's gonna be a great day.
She's gonna get to 44 today which will be great to melt off some snow.
Being Fri. of course is a payday...always nice to get a few bucks into the pocket.
The weekend is a nice 2 days off which starts in 7 hours.
Spring is just around the corner and everything comes back to life.
The picture of the female Loon is a favorite...you can see her getting off her nest..it has an egg in it .

Then there's other intangibles that you just can't put your finger on ...
Today is a going to be a great day!
DSC02829.jpg

Last edited:
Syrup here was already being boiled down about a week ago.

I've spent this week almost everyday outside after work splitting wood getting ready for next winter.

It's good to see snow goign away to be able to get out and work again.

This weekend is special to us northerners. It is the the weekend to spring our clocks forward an hour. From this weekend forward we will have enough light to be able to do things outside after work. Things like mowing the lawn and building barns.

Spring happens after the clocks change for us.

This weekend is special to us northerners. It is the the weekend to spring our clocks forward an hour. From this weekend forward we will have enough light to be able to do things outside after work. Things like mowing the lawn and building barns.

Spring happens after the clocks change for us.

Your spot on there...gaining that extra hour after work is great...pretty soon it will be bed time and it will still be light outside.:msp_crying:

I'm thinking like Guns and head for the woods this weekend. My son has 50 pails and wants to get some sap from the maple trees. With luck I can take the plow off of the wheeler next week and start working my Ash off while the ground is still frozen.

Ordered the plugs for mushrooms. Going to try it this year. I figure I'll get double the use out of some of my oak logs.

Yep! Starting to feel like spring.

Okay, guys, you're getting to me. Hubby was just outside trying to get our garbage cans out of the ice. :( It is supposed to be in the low 50's next week.

Wanna know what I would love to do? I'd love to work with someone tapping trees for maple syrup - never done that. Would love to be around when they are boiling it down, etc. I think one could say that is something on my "Bucket List".

I'm getting old here guys, the "Bucket List" isn't getting checked off much lately.....

Shari

Yep, pulled the big shack off the lake this morning, still plenty of ice but the landings are starting to get a little mushy. Splitter is hooked to the tractor, and the loader is almost ready to come off the big tractor, gonna wait for some last minute storms before that happens.

Snow is going down out in the woods, will soon be able to traipse freely about without getting soaked up to the crotch.

Weekend filled with GTG fun up in Grantsburg to look forward to, just need to do some last minute saw fixin and load the truck.

Time to go put my 8 in and call it a week!

Keith stake down that shack tonight if ya go out, otherwise ya might have to chase it across the lake.

Yep, pulled the big shack off the lake this morning, still plenty of ice but the landings are starting to get a little mushy. Splitter is hooked to the tractor, and the loader is almost ready to come off the big tractor, gonna wait for some last minute storms before that happens.

Snow is going down out in the woods, will soon be able to traipse freely about without getting soaked up to the crotch.

Weekend filled with GTG fun up in Grantsburg to look forward to, just need to do some last minute saw fixin and load the truck.

Time to go put my 8 in and call it a week!

Keith stake down that shack tonight if ya go out, otherwise ya might have to chase it across the lake.

I do hear it is to get windy...I normally do not have issues with my lodge but I'll take precautions.
Now I do take wind seriously.Had a buddy loose his shack on Upper Red Lake...he let go of it after it got set up and it took off.After a few miles the guy tracked it down and it was destroyed in pieces.
I on the other hand back when I used to have an Eskimo Travler went for a ride....the day started out with minimal snow on the ice...enough to bank...by mid day and a ton of wind and sun the snow was gone and the wind started to really pick up..so much so that I had to sit in the corner where the wind was coming from. Even so the shack was lifting a bit on the strong gusts....well here's the fun part...that sucker took off with me inside. Now my flasher's transducer and my fishing line was down the hole..it all got ripped out and drug along as I went on the glorious slide. The shack had no stop in her once she broke loose. There ain't no brakes built into them shacks either...LOL
So after 100 yards I got an idea..ya see my 20 lb.propane cylendar is skipping across the ice too with me in the 2'x 4' open slot to the ice while I'm in the tub part that is also 2'x 4'. I went and grabbed the top part of that tank and really laid on it so that the bottom would grab and grab she did. Whew...got her stopped....so now I'm quickly dissasembling the shack inside of her. I got it collapsed and I crawl out on my belly. Here I'm 30 yards from shore with a bunch of trees laying out over the ice...yup..dodged a bullet right there I'll tell ya.We had been moving at a preety good clip. It coulda gotten much more uglier.
Now it was a good thing I had on my ice cleats cause I got about 500 yards to walk while pulling my shack and all of my gear back into that strong wind...and you guessed it on glare ice & I found my hole and went back to fishing...the bite was hot and yes I fished in the open...forget that portable...tain't going on that ride again...at least not on that day.

Geez, Keith, when I first started reading your post I was thinking about when my Mom was a kid and dumped their outhouse over with her sister in it :) then when I finished reading your post you REALLY dodged a bullet there. Glad you did!

Shari

Okay, guys, you're getting to me. Hubby was just outside trying to get our garbage cans out of the ice. :( It is supposed to be in the low 50's next week.

Wanna know what I would love to do? I'd love to work with someone tapping trees for maple syrup - never done that. Would love to be around when they are boiling it down, etc. I think one could say that is something on my "Bucket List".

I'm getting old here guys, the "Bucket List" isn't getting checked off much lately.....

Shari
wayyyy too far from you,,but at castalia,iowa,,,greens sugar bush does it the old way..they use mules and horse--to get the sap out of the woods,,on old time running gear....and if your there,,when they change the pails,,you are welcome to help!!!! the boil off operation is right there also, so get to see the whole process---and can buy the syrup in same bldg---kind of a old time place,,EXCEPT for the boiler!!! thats just a mite past old,,tho they still use tree slabs--also--castalia is in the upper ne corner of iowa,,thinking about 2 1/2 hrs from you???

I do hear it is to get windy...I normally do not have issues with my lodge but I'll take precautions.
Now I do take wind seriously.Had a buddy loose his shack on Upper Red Lake...he let go of it after it got set up and it took off.After a few miles the guy tracked it down and it was destroyed in pieces.
I on the other hand back when I used to have an Eskimo Travler went for a ride....the day started out with minimal snow on the ice...enough to bank...by mid day and a ton of wind and sun the snow was gone and the wind started to really pick up..so much so that I had to sit in the corner where the wind was coming from. Even so the shack was lifting a bit on the strong gusts....well here's the fun part...that sucker took off with me inside. Now my flasher's transducer and my fishing line was down the hole..it all got ripped out and drug along as I went on the glorious slide. The shack had no stop in her once she broke loose. There ain't no brakes built into them shacks either...LOL
So after 100 yards I got an idea..ya see my 20 lb.propane cylendar is skipping across the ice too with me in the 2'x 4' open slot to the ice while I'm in the tub part that is also 2'x 4'. I went and grabbed the top part of that tank and really laid on it so that the bottom would grab and grab she did. Whew...got her stopped....so now I'm quickly dissasembling the shack inside of her. I got it collapsed and I crawl out on my belly. Here I'm 30 yards from shore with a bunch of trees laying out over the ice...yup..dodged a bullet right there I'll tell ya.We had been moving at a preety good clip. It coulda gotten much more uglier.
Now it was a good thing I had on my ice cleats cause I got about 500 yards to walk while pulling my shack and all of my gear back into that strong wind...and you guessed it on glare ice & I found my hole and went back to fishing...the bite was hot and yes I fished in the open...forget that portable...tain't going on that ride again...at least not on that day.

:msp_lol::msp_lol::msp_lol:

Latest posts

Back