Todays Job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The WoodButcher

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Todays Milling, cut a good bit of red oak. The guy has his own kiln. I'll have one in a week or two.
Dougw.jpg

DSCF1264.jpg

Dougw2.jpg

Kiln yes

It took about two hours to cut that, after set up which takes about 15 minutes. Yeah the guy has his own kiln. I am cutting the lumber for my kiln now. I hope to have it built in about 3 weeks.

They were treated

The logs were painted on the ends with black paint there was very little checking. They made some real pretty wood.:cheers:

Hey WoodButcher,

That mill sure is ugly, i think you should paint it some other color??? Maybe John Deere green????
picture.GIF

Rob

WoodButcher,

How come you don't use the ones that came with your Lumbermate??? Those that have built that "kiln" seem to be pretty happy with the way it works...

Rob

I'd like one that i could load and unload with my tractor and pallet forks.... Then i need it to take long lumber ect.. ect.. ect... So it ends up being huge and cost a fortune and then other problems develoupe... End of story is, i don't end up with one!!!

Rob

Kilns are all fairly simple designs and quite easy to build. I've seen that one before and it looks pretty good, i guess it all adds up to just doing it!

If you want them to last a long time and hold heat well, the cost really starts going up. Really they should have styrofoam insulation in them, plywood NOT OSB, and probably some PT lumber in the floor, that is if it's close to the ground.

I probably should get a roof over my mill before building a kiln, and that doesn't seem to be happening very fast either!!!

Rob

I agree

I agree Rob, The one I am going to build is going to be on skids so I can move it if I need to. Gonna make it so it can be loaded on a big flatbed. It's gonna be heavy but everything else is too, :ices_rofl: I am putting in some overkill because I am building with green lumber and because I like overkill :ices_rofl: .

Last edited:
Bout the same aggiewoodbutchr

Hi aggiewoodbutchr, Yes I'll post pix in the prosess and when complete. I was figuring about 20 feets myself :ices_rofl: I was thinking about 8' X 20' pretty much. The place I'm putting it, I'm gonna have to make it solor power for the fans.

Thanks

Thanks Finnbear, I have been figuring on just building what I see, thanks now I can start right and stay right.

Latest posts

Back