Today's Loggin' pics in the ice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sILlogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We got about 4" of sleet the other day..logging has been fairly slow lately because it has been too wet...and then we got the ice..and now its too slick for the skidder to run up and down some of the hills. so this afternoon i went out and cut on a patch to get some trees down before the skidder gets in there...gf went with me(she didn't want me out there by myself-and she thought it would be a good time to take pics)...maybe she's not so bad after all:cheers:

i figured this hard maple was rotten in the bottom..so i'm checking it(boring into it)..it was
028jpg.jpg

It sure was a limby SOB!!
029jpg.jpg

030jpg.jpg

031jpg.jpg

too many darn limbs for it to hit the ground!!
032jpg.jpg

buttin' it off to clean up the rot
033jpg.jpg

034jpg.jpg

Wow first time ive ever seen a pic of an american cutting a tree off at the bottom its normally 3' up
much respect!!:bowdown:

Did you long butt that first tree for the defect? What kind of trees are those? Good pictures.

Did you long butt that first tree for the defect? What kind of trees are those? Good pictures.

the first pics are a hard maple...yea i cut it off because it had some rot in the center. so i cut it up higher to clean it up...most of the pics are red oaks..the last pic is an old a** white oak(that stuff cuts so good!!). the lower laying parts of this job is mostly poplar, birch, maple, sweetgum. and the upper parts are red&white oak, with a mix of hickory

Looks like a bunch of limby trees. Tell me you got better timber around than that? Only trees around here in the "woods" like that are around old home sites or where the land was cleared before...

Gee, someone that doesn't have a brand new looking bar on his saw. That must mean you actually use it instead of spending all your time polishing it. :jawdrop:

:greenchainsaw:

Looks like a bunch of limby trees. Tell me you got better timber around than that? Only trees around here in the "woods" like that are around old home sites or where the land was cleared before...

o yea...we got better timber than that...as for that hard maple, i'm almost positive that was an old homesite..it just had all of the characteristics of it...this is not the best timber..this particular patch(70 acres) was cut about 25 years ago, and was then put into pasture. which accounts for all of the limbiness

Is the tree in that last pic hung up or just taken on its way down? Wondering how you prefer to handle that situation. Its easy to rectify with a D8, but that isn't always available.
Dok

that pic was taken on the way down...the first pics(the hard maple) was hung up..i prefer to pull them down with the skidder....but ive used other methods that aren't that safe when that doesn't work......

disclaimer: i'm not advocatiing this:cheers:

i only do these things when i have to and have exhausted my other means

ive hit hung up trees with other trees to knock them down..
ive climbed up on them and cut them loose and rode them down(really bad idea)

and i've went under them and cut the tree that they are hung up in(equally bad idea)

where is some of our "better" timber. poplar..4' on the stump, 70ft to the first limb
Picture033.jpg

Picture039.jpg

great pics, but the weather sucks! over 50 here today... (but it won't last).

i would absolutely love to get out to the PNW and cut timber....ive got the itch..i think it would be hard for me to make the transition from cutting hardwoods to softwoods and the completely different operations...any of you PNW'ers think i could make the grade? be honest...:greenchainsaw:

Just don't try cutting loose a hung up 6 foot diameter Douglas Fir and riding it down!

Latest posts

Back