Todays sycamore removal with crane

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what-a-stihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
First time using a crane, much different. Would've been nice to assist with a bucket truck, but made good money climbing anyways.

Ignoring the safety/regulation aspect of it...doesn't getting saw dust in your eyes get old? I cannot understand how guys run a saw without safety glasses.

Pretty good looking removal though. Did you sub out the crane operator or do you have somebody on your crew to run it?

cranes kick ass.

Good operator for tree work is key. If you have a good crane op youre Golden.

I miss the crane guys I used in Connecticut. They were smooth as glass.

I think I'm gonna retire.

i don't blame you, man. garbage back cut and a ladder in the last pic.....

what was up with the rope rig'n while you wearing a helmet but without using the muffs? thought you were using the crane?

glad you not hacking it up in my neck of the woods.... lol.

i don't blame you, man. garbage back cut and a ladder in the last pic.....

what was up with the rope rig'n while you wearing a helmet but without using the muffs? thought you were using the crane?

glad you not hacking it up in my neck of the woods.... lol.

The rigging was the operators request to keep the end from swinging into. The power Lines, as far as the ladder goes I was setting the chokers by strapping into the Crane then using the ladder to get back into the tree and climbing the rest of the way. I never have and never will cut from a ladder, it just saved time not spiking the first 20 feet. I know you can't post anything on here without criticism, but I appreciate your input as well

The rigging was the operators request to keep the end from swinging into. The power Lines, as far as the ladder goes I was setting the chokers by strapping into the Crane then using the ladder to get back into the tree and climbing the rest of the way. I never have and never will cut from a ladder, it just saved time not spiking the first 20 feet. I know you can't post anything on here without criticism, but I appreciate your input as well

I gotta say if you did all that without your helmet falling off then you were doing ok BUT did that tree even need to be craned out?

Here are the pictures.

183983d1305415156-syc1-jpg

183984d1305415324-syc7-jpg

183985d1305415345-syc8-jpg

183986d1305415403-syc6-jpg

good job!

It could have been done without the crane no problem but I'm sure it sped up the job. I would get confident and take bigger chunks in the future. You'll learn. Get yourself an assortment of Tennex straps.If you're paying for a crane you need to get your money's worth.

Tom awesome job! Those are some big pieces! I love those big oaks.

First time using a crane, much different. Would've been nice to assist with a bucket truck, but made good money climbing anyways.

For a first crane removal seemed like a job well done. Although from the minute I saw the first pic I knew you were gonna take heat for this job.
Couple question for ya, how long would this removal of taken without a crane.
How long did it take you with the crane.
Did you spike down every lead with the crane lifting you back to the next tip.
Why didn't you tie into the central leader and work the tree without going up and down, looked like you only used a flip line, seems much slower.
Did you come out ahead profit wise using the crane compared to manual take down.
Thanks in advance, I hope to do more crane work, just doesn't seem profitable if you have to rent particulary on a job like this.

Last edited:
Back