Tony`s 667 Solo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokers

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Some of you guys probably remember a while back when Tony M. had egg on his face after admitting that he smoked his 667 while trying to tweak the carb. Well, I`ve got that saw right now and I finally got around to pulling the jug and taking a look. In the sake of fairness to Tony I wanted to let everyone know that Tony isn`t entirely at fault here.

When I started taking it apart I immediately noticed that the capscrews holding the jug on were all buggered up, so I knew I wasn`t the first. When I got inside I first noticed that someone had used red RTV on top of the base gasket, but left the gasket in place, and didn`t even make a complete circle in lieu of the gasket. Then after cleaning the galled aluminum from the cylinder wall using muriatic acid, I noticed that someone had used a Dremel to apparently clean the wall before. There are alot of horizontal tool marks from the exhaust port down to the base. Some of these marks are deep enough to feel with a finger. I can`t tell what shape the piston was in prior to Tony`s event but it`s pretty well wiped now. Con rod and bottom end bearings seem good and the saw looks to be well made. Unfortunately with the price of Solo parts this saw is probably junk.

Like I said, I just wanted to vindicate Tony to whatever extent I can, and if I were Tony I`d be looking for the guy who sold me this saw. Unfortunately I don`t possess the photographic skill of Doug or Gypo but I am going to post a pic anyway. Maybe you can see what I`m talking about.

Russ

Russ, IKts worth a try to check into getting the cylinder rerplated. Us nicom does a excellant job and their prices are fair. Awhile back Ken Dunn had them plate a jug for him so I am sure he can tell you what it cost.

They quoted me over $150 for an old homelite SXL cylinder
too much for my blood.

I had planned on having it re chromed, but the shop I work with can't strip chrome off of alluminun. Evidently they use a chemical that eats the base metal.

thanks for reporting ,what u found,russ.
it do give pause for thought. still got egg on my face ,but then again ,i likeum scrambled.:)
if theres anything ive learned ,it is that truth will out, sooner or later.thats why i tactfully [i hope] try to stick to it,in my post, as best i know it to be.also i realize theres no telling at what point the saw work described ,was done. so not pointing fingers here. i do appreciate the info tho.
ps if somebody figures out what i just said,let me know as i havnt the slightest.:D .

Last edited:
Hi Tony, I have no idea where you got this saw and I`m not trying to point fingers at anyone, in fact now that I`m starting to believe that you may have acquired the saw from a member I`m sorry that I wasn`t just a bit more tactful so as to give the benefit of the doubt.

What I can say with conviction is this however, the destructive machine work was definitely done before it seized on you. I had to remove galled aluminum to see it. I`m going out on a limb here but from the way the metal was transferred most heavily in this area(where the pecker tracks are), I`ll say that you may not have had a fatal lean seize had this not been done. Had to be some extreme friction in that area if I can feel it with my finger.

BTW, US Chrome quoted me $159 plus shipping and tax(got a shop in NY) to replate the cylinder. I can get a new top end kit from Solo which includes the cylinder, piston, rings, wrist pin, and clips for $226 + shipping. Doesn`t make US Chrome look too appealing for jobs like this.

Russ

hey russ. i knew what u meant ,and appreciate the follow up info... im not
pointing fingers either,and didnt take your post that way, as too much o that in this world already... like i say, appreciate the input...anytime u by a used saw theirs no way the seller can know what may or may not happen to the saw,in the future... as so much depends on user knowledge
or lack of it. heck that applys to new saw purchases also . i never complain to sellers of used, unless im positive i was scamed,as any used purchace is a gamble.if i know i got scammed, ill put as many as i can wise toum.plus if their close enough they gonna have to look me in the eye. nuff said. yall remember to have a good day. lifes to short to do otherwise.

Last edited:
Back