Too Hot To Work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Oil Patch, Edmonton, Alberta for now.....
How warm a temp do you folks keep on working in? I was pleased to see my boss is on my side when it comes to heat.....I finished today at 1100 am when temp had hit 93F with a humidex reading of 104. Maybe we are just not used to it this far north?!

Thank God for Central Air!

I here ya Jumper. I got in 3 hours of limbing and bucking today before I decided I had hydrated my clothes enough. Called it a day. Only sweat off 12 pounds while drinking 3 quarts of fluids. I think you're probably right about us Northern boys being more susceptible. I set out early with the intention of stopping when it felt like it was time to call it quits. When is it gonna snow!

i wish that it was 20 degrees hotter!!!!!!!!!!!!!
boo hoo hoo.
what's wrong w/ you boys from the great white north???????
to hot for ya?????? i did a crown raising on a 4'dbh laurel oak
today, it was a typical south florida day, low 90's w/ 100% humidity. took me a couple of hours and to be honest to you,
i was a little chilly when i jumped back into the jeep. i even had to turn the air conditioner off:D
budroe:cool:
p.s. hang in there boys, it will be snowing up there by labor day!!!
peace;)

I was supposed to be up in Duchess County today removing some small maples. Last night my mother told me that it was supposed to feel like 110 today and I cancelled the day. The customer completely understood. When I did go out today to take care of my new insurance thing, I saw the thermometer in the car read 96. I enjoy doing this work, but I am definatley not gonna kill myself in the heat.

The temp was 97 deg here today we were Drenched by 9AM. We worked on till 6pm this evening. I bet i drank 3 gallons of gatoraide today. But we did Finish. Finally :blob2:

I've never stoped or not gone out due to heat, it is just a fact of life here in FL. 100+ with 100% humidity is not uncommon at all in the heat of the summer. We do work slower and take more frequent water breaks. I stop to drip water on top of my head as often as I stop to take a drink (about every 15 minutes when it is really hot). It is never a good idea to douse yourself in water when you are overheated, but some cool water on your wrists/forearms and a little up top can cool you off pretty quickly and safely.
Greg

It was 102 at noon yesterday! I did a removal of a 20"dbh Cottonless cottonwood. Had to climb it and top it out before felling. I had it on the ground and 80% bucked by noon. Took a midday break and went back about 3:45 P.M. to clean up. It's too hot but I need to get things done. I take frequent breaks and drink lots of water and Gatorade.(about 2 gallons per day)

Sometimes here in florida ya can't cool down cuz the high humididty keeps the sweat from evaporating, the air can't hold any more water. So when the air isn't moving, even hosing off brings very lil'releif, sometimes just more mugginess. You probably don't run out of fluid as fast as in a hotter dry climate, but you just can't get the cooling to werk!

The one degree diffrence at the point of physical state change, takes a way alot of heat energy, that is how refridgeration, air c. etc. werks, by tripping freon back and forth over that specific degree that it takes to change from liquid to gas and back, to release or grab heat. The compressor just changes the temp it does that at, like cooking at a diffrent altitude.

So, if it can't evaporate, the function is minimized.

But taking that cold tap water over my noggin wrist and groin (largest areas of dermal capillaries) will trasnfer the heat from me to the cold water.

JPS, Do the customers look at you oddly when they come out of the house to offer you a glass of water immediately following your wetting your groin with cold water?:D

I'm not real obviouse about it:D, I let it run off my head. Fill the helet up and poor it down. This gets some of the salt out of the terri sweat band.

Me at 95 deg.:dizzy:

Heat Tips

Hey Guys,
You happened to touch a subject that I may be of some help. When working in extreme heat you should of course try to maintain hydration by drinking lots of water but there are other important factors that could help you make it through a day much easier. When consuming water try not to consume extremely cold water because it can send you body into shock. The best water to drink is slightly below room temperature. Also, Drenching yourself in ice cold water can cause sudden body shock. Try to consume electrolytes constantly....some common electrolytes are Calcium, Sodium, and Potassium. Try to consume some of these electrolytes through meals like consider eating a banana between jobs. Dont use salt as a sodium electrolyte substitute though. This will dehydrate you quickly. Also, try to eat light because heavy food digestion can raise body temperature. Try to make it back to the truck for a quick A/C break occasionally to relieve body temperature.
Take note that a noticable lack of sweating(dry skin), disorientation, and rapid pulse are the first signs of heat stroke! If you suffer any of these symptoms stop what you are doing and get to a cooler area at once! This CAN be life threatning in a matter of minutes!
Now, profuse sweating, nausea, dizziness, weakness, and headache are symptoms of the less severe but yet still health threatning Heat Exhaustion.
These are things that you should definitely know because I can speak for all of the Florida guys on here when I say its BLAZIN hot down here.

Don't know if I mentioned this before, but I read a report recently that said as little as 2% dehydration can cause reduction of cognative abilities.

Back