Too much fun

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A little off topic but still climbing related ...

I have a damage on a T1 Carrier cable that runs up about 100+ feet above the highway.
The damage is fifteen meters out from the pole on the south side at the very top of the rock cut.
I`ll hike up the North slope, climb up and repair the damage then milk the rope out on the way down the face of the cliff. :D

Nothing above the cable to tie into so I have my distal as short as I can possibly make it.

Actually it was a good place to nearly throw up!
We roped the stuff up the face of the cliff, tossed up the throw line then pulled the rope over the strand for static line and footlock climb.
Climbed up to the cable and got a visual of the damage on the outer sheath.
Put a couple of clamps in place, cut the lashing wire and secured it to each of the clamps.
Started cutting into the sheath with my knife and it then it hit!
:confused:
MOTION SICKNESS.
The low clouds were moving west, the jet stream was moving east,the strand I was secured to was bouncing up and down, I`m spinning left and right and I`m a hundred feet up on the side of a cliff.
Ok, I`ve had enough and I`m bailing out.
Oh good, my distal is locked up tight and I`m getting weaker by the moment.
Made a loop with my handline and stood in it to release the hitch and bombed back down to earth on the 8.
I decided to climb the pole and drop the cable but my partner decided he would rather slug the 28ft. ladder up the hill so away he went to get it while I took a break.
When he neared the top I helped him carry it the rest of the way.
I finished the job on the ladder having to rest a few times in between.
Roped everything including the ladder over the cliff and back down to the highway.
Am I glad that`s over with, that`s more than enough fun for one day.
smhair2.gif

Latest posts

Back