Too slow on the sale. Do I go for the bigger brother ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studogg99

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been looking for a 70cc class saw for a while. A month or so ago i found a nice ms460 for sale on my CL but it sold before i got there. Been looking for a while thinking about going to eBay (scary thought). I was looking at some ms460s but nothing has caught my eye although, a couple 660's have would it be sensible to by the larger saw of the two in question if they're available. they seem to go between the same price $600-700ish.

This weekend though I am going to look at a 372xp he wants $600 for it. its in good shape but i would need to by a bar and chain or pay $50 more for a 24inch b & c.

Yes the actual yearning for a larger saw resides in all of us who have CAD and the 660 is a fine example of a medium sized saw.

Yes the actual yearning for a larger saw resides in all of us who have CAD and the 660 is a fine example of a medium sized saw.

Have never once regretted having the 066 along for the ride...I have certainly regretted not having it.

Have never once regretted having the 066 along for the ride...I have certainly regretted not having it.

Agreed. Same here. You got a little 435 for lite limbing. Gettin a biggun will handle everything else.

Read on this site that the 660 isn't the best choice in the firewood area because of the weight and gas issues. Then again people say its that one time deal.

Read on this site that the 660 isn't the best choice in the firewood area because of the weight and gas issues. Then again people say its that one time deal.

Maybe there's somebody near you that'd let you run some of their bigger saws to help your decission. An MS660 is a big jump up from a Husky 435...:D

Baah! what do they know? Actually it is a bit big if all you are after is trees 15 inches and below but if you are finding trees in the 20+ inch range it is just fine, then later on pick up a 70cc saw. The problem is when you get your 70cc saw first it is harder to afford that bigger saw so get the bigger saw first.

Baah! what do they know? Actually it is a bit big if all you are after is trees 15 inches and below but if you are finding trees in the 20+ inch range it is just fine, then later on pick up a 70cc saw. The problem is when you get your 70cc saw first it is harder to afford that bigger saw so get the bigger saw first.

Yeah i am the kind of person i want the one time buy that's why i am leaning towards the large saw then i can always make it smaller.

Maybe there's somebody near you that'd let you run some of their bigger saws to help your decission. An MS660 is a big jump up from a Husky 435...:D

oh yes my dad has the same one (435) and its so completely different its a larger body and its last longer. First was my whole starter assembly broke, then it has trouble starting and then stalls when idling. i guess that what happens when you by a saw from Lowes on the cheap.

Wait for the right deal and then you can always get out from under it if you don't like it. If you picked up an 066/660 it would certainly do anything you needed. ie, you would have the full range covered. Is it an ideal saw for what you need? maybe not but you wouldn't encounter something it wouldn't handle. I think some of the used saw prices you quoted were on the high side. Be patient and a better deal will come along. I have a 066 and a 660 and both of them together were less than $1000. Bought one on eBay and one on CL. Looked a long time for the right deal.

Local c-list ad for a good running, and condition, 038 Magnum. Even has the clear fuel tank. Probably get it for a few clams less than advertised.

Wait for the right deal and then you can always get out from under it if you don't like it. If you picked up an 066/660 it would certainly do anything you needed. ie, you would have the full range covered. Is it an ideal saw for what you need? maybe not but you wouldn't encounter something it wouldn't handle. I think some of the used saw prices you quoted were on the high side. :biggrin:Be patient and a better deal will come along. I have a 066 and a 660 and both of them together were less than $1000. Bought one on eBay and one on CL. Looked a long time for the right deal.

Agreed! Good things come those who wait. I missed a good one the other day by ten dollars :(

Why not get a 365XT and remove the limiter wall from the transfers. Voila, presto-change-o 372.

:agree2:

However, don't under estimate the 365XT in stock form. A new 365XT is a better deal than a used 372xp for $600............IMO. I have owned both and a stock 365XT is a serious firewood saw. The two have very similar performance.

:agree2:

However, don't under estimate the 365XT in stock form. A new 365XT is a better deal than a used 372xp for $600............IMO. I have owned both and a stock 365XT is a serious firewood saw. The two have very similar performance.

I agree i am just trying to find what's local so I can get a good look and seeing running etc. Like another member said don't rush I just have to look for that perfect deal.

How much should a 372 go for used ?

I sold a nice one on e-bay last year for $450 and it was a great runner. That is reasonable but overall you must consider the condition, amount of use, stock or modified and how bad you really want/need one...................IMO. If you watch the classifies here a while, you should find something. What do you plan to use it for primarily?

Back