Top Handle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolfreak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been thinking about getting a top handle saw for rinky dink stuff. What have you guys had good luck with and what are some of the better models? Price doesn't matter!:)

toolfreak said:
Hi guys, I have been thinking about getting a top handle saw for rinky dink stuff. What have you guys had good luck with and what are some of the better models? Price doesn't matter!:)

The Stihl Ms200T is considered by most all arborist's as the best top handle saw on the market. I got a 020T (older version of the 200T) that runs best at 15,300 rpms believe it or not and its been running that rpm for 7 years. Its a whale of a saw. Your looking at 500-550 for a new one but their worth it if you really need a good top handle saw.

MS200T, if you were in the U.K. you couldn't get one without a licence,ha,ha,ha.........

clearance said:
MS200T, if you were in the U.K. you couldn't get one without a licence,ha,ha,ha.........

So ya gotta have a driver license for em over there, dayumm didn't know that,haha....

clearance said:
FREEDOM is a wonderful thing in the U.S.A. freedom to choose.

better enjoy that freedom. at my age ive seen an dramatic decrease in personal choice freedom. granted some of the regulations were good . but im just an anti regulation guy ,i guess... this tendency to regulate everything,, doesnt bode well for people like me in the future ,im afraid.jmo

tony marks said:
better enjoy that freedom. at my age ive seen an dramatic decrease in personal choice freedom. granted some of the regulations were good . but im just an anti regulation guy ,i guess... this tendency to regulate everything,, doesnt bode well for people like me in the future ,im afraid.jmo

Been a non-conformist all my life! Its my fuel. :angry2:

I might have to check one of these little hotrods out! What else is out there?

tony marks said:

word!

toolfreak said:

Are you sure you want a top handled saw? The 200T is a Great climbing saw, but I don't like to use it much on the ground. Closer hand spacing means less leverage, more susceptible to kickback, greater temptation to "One Hand" and reach in front of the saw, etc. The MS-200 (no "T") is the same saw in a rear handled version, stihl a lot of saw for "... rinky dink stuff".

Fireaxman said:
Are you sure you want a top handled saw? The 200T is a Great climbing saw, but I don't like to use it much on the ground. Closer hand spacing means less leverage, more susceptible to kickback, greater temptation to "One Hand" and reach in front of the saw, etc. The MS-200 (no "T") is the same saw in a rear handled version, stihl a lot of saw for "... rinky dink stuff".

Anybody that one hands, has to many screws loose and should not be touching man toys.

I'm just looking for something different, light, fast and enough power to pour into carving if i so desire!

Regardless of what the safety manuals and manufacturers warnings tell you, the top handle saws are pretty much designed for one handed use. Anyone who claims different hasn't done much climbing work. Based on your earlier post, I suggest you not buy a top handle saw.

Another vote for the MS200 rear handle.

As the 339xp isn't availiable in the US :confused: , there really isn't much serious competition.

toolfreak said:
Anybody that one hands, has to many screws loose and should not be touching man toys.

If you're not gonna one hand it, there's no reason to get a 200T. Like Rocky said, anyone that says they don't one hand isn't using the saw like it was meant to be used...regardless of what the owner's manual says. Just like a Corvette is supposed to be driven the speed limit, but designed to do a bit more than that. ;) And anyone who says they don't wind up their 'Vette is full of it.

If you're not gonna one hand get a 200, or heck, that opens up all kinds of options for little saws. That's a whole 'nother thread.

Here I am cutting with my screws loose! :dizzy:

Jeff

clearance said:

The reason we have the licence is so people receive the training that is required to operate one so you don't one hand at every opertunity and use it on the ground. However if you still wanted one you could get one on Ebay because the seller assumes that you are qualified.

200T seems to be the daddy, i've invested in an old 020t second hand because i don't do enough work for a full 500 quid splash out for the 200T or even the 300 quid for the 338xpt.

Latest posts

Back